Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenith 666

Yeah definitely looks like the corps.The corps and holocaust squad aren't really heavyweight dreddworld stories maelstrom was a far better space judge story.Ron smith story about a different judge squad got me stumped.

Spaceghost

I won't be subrcribing as, like many others here, I already have most of the stuff I want from Dredd's long history. I will be picking up issue one, and possibly issue two, then I'll see if any of the others takes my fancy when I see them in the shops.

Fans like us who already have all this stuff are obviously not the main target audience for this (apart from Mr. Burdis of course) but I shared the link on Facebook when the test issue came out, and one of my comic reading friends, who has inexplicably never read any Dredd but has been looking for a way in, has immediately subscribed, and another friend has started getting it for her son.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

TordelBack

Quote from: Spaceghost on 11 December, 2014, 08:15:00 AM..and one of my comic reading friends, who has inexplicably never read any Dredd but has been looking for a way in, has immediately subscribed, and another friend has started getting it for her son.

It takes the decision making out of the equation: no 'there's over 2200 of these comics, where should I start?', or 'which one of these 12 editions of Judge Death should I get?', just sign up and let the nice men send you what you need.  I can see the attraction.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 11 December, 2014, 02:02:51 AM
Don't think so. The cover is making me think of The Corps.

Ron Smith and Jim Murray makes me think of Father Earth and the Holocaust 12 spin-off series.

'The Heavies' maybe? Themed collection about special squads like The Corps and H12?

That makes sense to me, maybe 'The Heavy Squads', or somesuch.  I'm sure you're right that Ron is there for 'Father Earth'.  Be nice to have that one in a shiny edition, actually.

Jim_Campbell

I look forward to seeing effusive apologies offered by those who declared this product doomed/stillborn/DOA based on their in-depth grasp of publishing logistics and marketing.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 December, 2014, 09:39:18 AMI look forward to seeing effusive apologies offered by those who declared this product doomed/stillborn/DOA based on their in-depth grasp of publishing logistics and marketing.
Presumably along with the retractions about how Rebellion and/or Hachette were "ripping people off", not least because of the spine art changing for the new run (for which replacements will be given entirely for free)?

James Stacey

IndigoPrime

FFS. I know comics aren't exactly considered to be at the high end of media, but people do actually have to be able to read, in order to take in comics, right? Or do these people just look at the pictures and ignore EVERYTHING they've been told about what's happening?

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 December, 2014, 08:19:56 AM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 11 December, 2014, 08:15:00 AM..and one of my comic reading friends, who has inexplicably never read any Dredd but has been looking for a way in, has immediately subscribed, and another friend has started getting it for her son.

It takes the decision making out of the equation: no 'there's over 2200 of these comics, where should I start?', or 'which one of these 12 editions of Judge Death should I get?', just sign up and let the nice men send you what you need.  I can see the attraction.

Exactly this - a friend of mine, never been into Dredd before, linked the BBC article to me, with the note that he is extremely tempted to subscribe, even having never even read 2000AD before. 

It's a great idea, which may even be working!

strontium71

Is it considered sad to have the subscription and also a shop bought copy - just for the card backer , which I presume it'll have? I know it's expensive but that's the way of collecting.
...because I hate you.

Mardroid

My local Comic Book Guy, has little experience with Dredd but he liked the film. I believe he's also been getting the IDW comics and he was interested in delving further into Dredd's world. (Or should that be 'worlds'?) So I introduced him to this collection and he subscribed.

This happened relatively late and last I heard he had received nothing. I think he will be delighted to receive this news.

Pete Wells

Yeah, I passed on 1,2 & 3 to a friend who reads the odd Batman GN and he's hooked. This is a great way to get new folk on board.

Steve Green

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 December, 2014, 12:16:00 PM
FFS. I know comics aren't exactly considered to be at the high end of media, but people do actually have to be able to read, in order to take in comics, right? Or do these people just look at the pictures and ignore EVERYTHING they've been told about what's happening?

Hachette's letter announcing the end of the trial wasn't exactly setting people up to be positive though.

Spikes

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 December, 2014, 10:55:37 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 December, 2014, 09:39:18 AMI look forward to seeing effusive apologies offered by those who declared this product doomed/stillborn/DOA based on their in-depth grasp of publishing logistics and marketing.
Presumably along with the retractions about how Rebellion and/or Hachette were "ripping people off", not least because of the spine art changing for the new run (for which replacements will be given entirely for free)?

Just for asking; Are these two posts referring to people on this forum, or elsewhere?

Robes

These look great, as someone who lapsed from buying 2000ad at around '94 and has recently to delved into the digital graphic novel archive, I think this is an easy way to build up a nice collection of tangible books.  I'll be subscribing for sure, even though I have some of the stories in digital format already.