Main Menu

1417 - Apocalypse 2126!

Started by DavidXBrunt, 22 November, 2004, 04:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Cover - Sometimes Simon Colebys stuff looks good, sometimes it doesn't. The colouring doesn't help here it's all just a bit bland.

Dredd - Fantastic. A great episode with a great moment. I don;t think anyone predicted where the Nimrod story was taking us but now it's so obvious, and so perfect, that it's hard to believe no-one twigged. Goodnight Vienne? I don't know. Will she survive? I don't know. But what I'm waiting for the next episode on tenterhooks.

Faces - Fun, lightweight stuff. A nice sequal in the vein of Tremors 2.

Lobster Random - Lovely pictures, funny words. The sense that this is a heavily illustrated story persists, as it does with Simping D, but it's entertaining enough.

Synammon - Not actively bad, not actively good.

Red Seas - Oh but I'm enjoying this. Fun chracters, pretty pictures, laugh out loud dialogue, crazy inventions, distinctive looking foe. I love this strip to pieces and want more Red Seas. And a brave, clever move to focus on someone other than Dancer making Red Seas feel like a richer world than it would if it were just Dancer going from one adventure to the next. Love it.

janus stark

letters page.
floyds taken to writing poems about himself now?
some people have to much time on their hands,

Bad Andy

Good news for some - Synammon ends next week. Didn't mind it myself.

Eck

Spurrier is a very talented writer, Judge Fear's Big Day Out being a prime example. However, I do not like Lobster Random in the slightest. It's just stupid. And yes, stupid stuff can be worthwhile also, but this has no redeeming features at all.

Now, I never insult artists by saying 'I hated the art' or anything like that because I can't even draw a straight line. The art in LR is good, but all it does is accentuate the sillyness of the story. Hey, that may have been the idea, because F. Irving's stuff seems to flow brilliantly with Spurrier's writing in The Simping Detective. So it could be that the stupidity factor of LR was all intended. And it could be that most people enjoy it this way. I'm sorry, I'm just not one of them.

Dudley

Dredd was great, and I agree with DXB completely about the Nimrod/Vienna line going somewhere unexpected but oh-so-right.

Faces isn't bad at all.  It's not great, you won't catch me clamouring for a third series, but I'd love to see more of this style from John Higgins.

Lobster Random - Hm.  The slight laziness in the idea of taking Random back into his past again isn't helped here.  I hope something good's coming, cos this really isn't doing it for me right now.  But Spurrier's pulled it out the hat before, so I'd never say never.

Synnamon - A complete twist that has the capacity to make this series so much richer.  Really hopeful now.  And the art is simply lovely.

Red Seas - just how good is this series?  Superb fleshing-out of the more minor characters: Ian Edginton is really succeeding in bringing out the best of the hackeyed old world of the Caribbean pirates.  

Cover was not one of Mr Coleby's best, I reckon: the colourist just didn't seem to understand how to work with it.

Does *anyone* believe that Floyd didn't write the poem himself?  I'm telling you, man, get help.  We're not forming a cult and worshipping your carved idols, OK?

Max Kon

Silva Shado got a letter printed, Sarah Haslett

Mr D

Cover is great IMO - liked it a lot.

Dredd is obviously fantastic right now. as said above, the story seems so obvious now we know it, but we really couldn't have predicted it.

Faces I don't mind.... but isn't what I expected from a Freaks sequel in a bad way.

Lobster Random - Liked this episode better than the last few, but not one of my fave thrills I'm afraid. Still fine.

Synnamon - Fail to see the element of this that inspired hatred last time round, and enjoying this so far. Slightly weaker this week but it may still turn out good.

Red Seas - Genius. Nuff said.

Oddboy

Good-o proggy!

Judge Dredd was just *gawp* jaw-drokkingly awesome.

I don't really know what's happening in Faces and I don't really care much either: I'm enjoying it nevertheless. Alien spies! sneaky sneaky! BWA HA HA gotcha! Yay!

Lobster Random just got even better - and for the first time I'm actually worried he's not gonna make it out of this alive! Can it really be the end for our surely crustatean?

Synnamon, like Faces, is fun for the action, although I'm not really following what's supposed to be happening.  Is this some flashback origins story? I'm just going along for the action, really, and as such it's pretty good.

Meanwhile... The Red Seas is hotting up. This and Caballistics, Inc. are my favourite thrills at the moment, & I'm much happier at the prospect of them being in the prog then any of the 'old school' characters, as good as Alpha, Slade & pals are.

Grand time to be reading 2000AD, which is unusual for the time of year!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Max Kon

longmanshort

Don't normally add to these threads but ...

Must say I'm reeeally liking Synammon! Love the idea of a Nottingham ghetto complete with freedom fighters and everything - would have liked to see more details about it rather than just leaping into it, but as it's a short series I can forgive that.

Art's nice as always - the main reason I like the series. Laurence Campbell is rapidly becoming a favourite as his pencils are always interesting to look at, and great page make-up. David Roach brings a very different feel to Laurence's pencils than Lee Townsend did and I must say I prefer it! Much smoother than Roach's work on Rogue and really adds a nice depth to the art. Colouring's good too.

Anyway, thought I'd just stick up for a series that, I think, could develop nicely (thought maybe not a classic) if given enough space and time ...

And that cover - aside from too much pink on her suit - was STUNNING!!!
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Dan Kelly

Indeed.  Synammon's brain has gone pop and she is having flashbacks.  Looks like the evil USE reprogrammed her to be super spy after the Nottingham thing.  I may be wrong.  Like tho'.

Anyway.  Dredd.  WheeDoggy.  2 more weeks to go and Vienna in trouble.  Could this be enough for Dredd to quit? Again?  After all, Total War are done for, so it's all over bar the shouting.

Lobster Random.  Like the reveal on Mr BLobby.  Fun ride from mr Spurrier

Faces.  I'm liking the story more when the art and script are leaning towards the more serious.  It's a bit weak in the farcical elements.  Again T&A not being treated as anything other than titilation.

Red Seas.  Nice 2nd Ep.  GIve it a bit more time before I make more judgement.

Dan

Krustabi

Dredd - I didn't expect it to end this suddenly, And I'm wondering what on Earth is going to happen in the last two episodes, although I know it's going to be enthralling.

Faces - Another very good episode, makes the plot slightly clearer and it's fun.

Lobster Random - Uum, didn't see that one coming. Illustrates what I like most about Spurrier's writing (the unpredictability)

Synnamon - My life doesn't feel improved for having read this, but it's ok

Red Seas - Brilliant, it feels like an enormous injustice to call this "second best" next to Dredd, but these things happen.

Bolt-01

Just a question: Is there a version of the cover in Black & White anywhere?

As nice as the printed version is; Simon Coleby has a really strong Black & White line and I'd like to compare the two.

http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=davide> Bolt-01

http://lostpropertybybolt-01.blogspot.com>Lost property Blog

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/metrodredd2>Metro Dredds

http://www.2000adonline.com/images/droid/davide.jpg">

Wake

I got an email from Simon this morning, saying that he would send me some images of prelim sketches and the finished pencils to put on the site

Wake

Bolt-01