Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Ooh, I like this one....

Bolt-01http://www.2000adonline.com/images/artwork/1417sketch4_medium.jpg">

Bolt-01

But this is such a nice pic....

Bolt-01http://www.2000adonline.com/images/artwork/1417inks_medium.jpg">

tjm8604

not entirely sure that Total War is as wrapped up as that but take your point.  Thought this was gonna be a mega epic.  16 episodes seems more like a [what, quasi, midi, average] epic.  Maybe we were spoilt in the past with Apocalypse War, Judgement day etc.  Whether the getout is going to be that we only ever saw a couple of rich wannabe revolutionaries and the 'true' Total War is going to pop in and out over the next year or so in the same vein as the Narcos storyline is anyone's guess.  I do feel like this ended up as a bit of a rush job and the pacing has been out.
BTW would have been interested to see what a colour version of the alternate cover was like.  The B&W sketch does look nice.

paulvonscott

"The small figure one was my first choice too but then it would be inaccurate as Dredd was on his Lawmaster when it went off."

I think some artistic license is allowed on covers.  During the Apocalypse War, Dredd never really sat on a nuke and rode it into East Meg, but it was a good cover!

House of Usher

Total War - Excellent as ever.

Red Seas - can't fault it, really.

Faces - so much better than last week.

Lobster Random - picked up a bit this week after all that psi-rawk bollox, but I'm not keen on how 'Games Workshop' it all seems to be becoming, what with chaos gods, chaos mutations and so on. Is Tooth and Claw set during or after the Horus Heresy?

Synnamon - has everyone suddenly gone soft in the head? It's cack. Professor Bear's right - "as pish as it was the last time round".

I'll admit the brain haemorrage last issue gave me a bit of a frisson of sympathy for the 'tough girly in the tight catsuit', but this flashback suffers from the usual storytelling faults that make Synnamon bloody annoying in the first place - we're dropped straight into an unfamiliar universe where the character's background is leaked out begrudgingly by the writer, with nameless characters, tyrannical instutions referred to only by initials, and how it all fits together remaining a mystery.

Fleshing out a character's background is only worthwhile if the writers took the trouble to make her interesting in the first place, and it's a lot easier for the reader to like that character if they don't make the reader work for every snippet of info the story deigns to allow them.

It's up to the writer to make us care about the story; it's not up to the reader work at caring.
STRIKE !!!

opaque

"During the Apocalypse War, Dredd never really sat on a nuke and rode it into East Meg, but it was a good cover!"

And Dredd wasn't standing up roaring in rage with a nuke going off in the background standing higher than citi-blocks in Total War either but it makes a good cover ;)

I meant that in another occasion that other one would make an amazing cover.

Total War does seem to have been truncated by a fair bit (even though we're not finished yet) but then maybe this time, unlike other occasions like Inferno we're actually going to see more of the repurcusions of the nukes this time? We could have a whole slew of stories showing us the rebuilding, the anger in the community, the lack of housing, allsorts of things. It's a great opportunity, one we haven't really had since the Apocalypse War. Remember things like the Superflea, the Mushroom Man? All great stories that led from that war.

Dudley

It's telling that the only way that this strip could improve was by becoming something completely different to what it was before

Actually, the set-up for this mini-series is all there in the very first episode of Synnamon.

Bico

'Actually, the set-up for this mini-series is all there in the very first episode of Synnamon.
'

You'll have to forgive me if that's the case, Duds, but I really don't give a flying toss about the character, so remembering some minutae from the first episode of a series that was painfully dull the first time round, and had a lead who would struggle to have even one dimension to her character is asking a bit much.  I'm hardly likely to reread it anytime soon, am I?
And I still reckon there's a bit of a difference between a catsuit-clad space-travelling girlie comic and a comic about urban terrorists fighting a guerilla(sp?) war.

I'd like to think that if *I* had photographic evidence of Matt Smith fellating donkeys, that I would refrain from using them to get him to print my half-arsed scripts, but apparantly this is where myself and the writers of Synnamon are different people.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Bico

Erm... although I'm not making any allegations about Matt - that's just a colourful metaphor.

House of Usher

I couldn't even remember whether we'd seen that Marshall Cromwell guy before or not. I certainly didn't remember a guy with a life support tank on his back. Not that I cared one jot anyway.
STRIKE !!!

opaque

I just assumed it was her boss who had been injured in the attack. I didn't notice the connection until I just read the above post.
Shows how much I cared about the character.