Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 November, 2017, 09:56:02 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 06 November, 2017, 06:27:00 AM
LouisvTheroux: My Scientology Movie

What a strange and sinister organisation. I've seen a few documentaries about Scientology and find them quite fascinating but they're also frustrating because the organisation itself is so secretive. I'd love to know what really goes on and how much the 'Operating Thetans' really believe.
This was good but I kind of felt sorry for some of the actors. I wonder if this will negatively affect their careers.
Still want to see this, Theroux previous two encounters with the cul...sorry, faith, where suitable terrifying.

It was on BBC2 last night so I expect it's on iPlayer. Well worth a watch but you have to bear in mind that they couldn't really get to the heart of things because the organisation is so locked down.
They're so incredibly frustrating to deal with and they know exactly what they're doing. Their psychological techniques are really effective. Even the affable Mr Theroux was getting quite close to losing his rag at certain points.

Theblazeuk

Saw 'Going Clear' the other week, which is oft-cited in response to Louis' inability to get close. Probably is the better documentary!

darnmarr

The bikini girl, who interrupts filming, is actress 'Paz De La Huerta' who the cops may arrest Harvey Weinstein for raping: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/03/paz-de-la-huerta-accuses-harvey-weinstein-of-sexual-assaulting-her-on-two-occasions-nypd

So um... small world.

'Going Clear' is the better doc... But Theroux is more even-handed.

JamesC

Never heard of Going Clear. Might see if I can find it on Netflix.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: darnmarr on 06 November, 2017, 01:06:35 PM
The bikini girl, who interrupts filming, is actress 'Paz De La Huerta' who the cops may arrest Harvey Weinstein for raping: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/03/paz-de-la-huerta-accuses-harvey-weinstein-of-sexual-assaulting-her-on-two-occasions-nypd

She's a weird one when you look into it. Not in reference to the Weinstein **** but just in general.

darnmarr

Agreed.
All the same ; the case is lookin'  bad for Mr Weinstein; she's on tape talking about it at the time- her therapist has records of her account and it's within the NY statute of limitations. It may well be the one they get him for.

radiator

Quote from: JamesC on 06 November, 2017, 01:08:47 PM
Never heard of Going Clear. Might see if I can find it on Netflix.

It's on HBO, so you won't find it on Netflix.

As for Scientology stuff, I heartily recommend checking out the episode of the Joe Rogan podcast with outspoken former scientologist Leah Remini. It's a real eye-opener....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ0-VeWMr-A

JOE SOAP

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 06 November, 2017, 06:25:21 PMAs for Scientology stuff, I heartily recommend checking out the episode of the Joe Rogan podcast with outspoken former scientologist Leah Remini. It's a real eye-opener....

Unfortunately his worst interview is with a potentially more interesting subject: David Miscavige's father, Ron Miscavige.

Mardroid

Another recent Stephen King adaptation: Gerald's Game

I wondered how they'd pull this off as it's based on the novel concerning a woman handcuffed to a bed, alone. The answer is: very well. A great bit of acting and character study. Genuinely disturbing in places, with a couple of scenes that should make you grimace... yikes. There was a bit at the end I'm in two minds about [spoiler](from a character's arc resolution POV it's nice, but part of me would prefer a certain thing were left up to viewer's interpretation)[/spoiler]  but overall it worked out very well.

I think I even preferred it to 1922, although the stories are very different.

Smith

Nightmare on Elm Street 6.That was just boring.

darnmarr

Quote from: radiator on 06 November, 2017, 06:25:21 PM
As for Scientology stuff, I heartily recommend checking out the episode of the Joe Rogan podcast with outspoken former scientologist Leah Remini. It's a real eye-opener....
That was quite fascinating. Thanks for the link.

Hawkmumbler

Off to see the rather ordinarily named Paddington 2.

The first was the unexpected delight of 2014, and as a firm fan of the books was very happy indeed, so have high hopes.

Tiplodocus

Watched Paddington last night. Thought it was great.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Murder On The Orient Express.

I suspected that you can't throw that much acting talent at the screen and not come out with something watchable, and I was right. Branagh steals the show largely because when you divide a two hour running time by that many actors, no one really gets to do that much.

However, I thought Branagh, behind one of cinema's most outrageous moustaches, actually managed the first screen portrayal of Poirot that I didn't think was a complete dick, and everyone else was under-used, but great. The film looks sumptuous and doesn't outstay its welcome. Branagh's Poirot is slightly more... muscular than previous screen incarnations — imagine Downey Jr's Sherlock Holmes, then dial it down a dozen notches. It's more or less exactly right for this movie.

I'll confess that I've never read the novel, and had haven't watched a screen adaptation for many years, so I actually thought I'd forgotten the twist until about thirty minutes from the end, when my terrible memory handily served it up to me.

Strongly reminiscent of a kind of film they don't really seem to make any more... in a good way. There's a heavy hint that another classic Christie might follow, and I rather liked Judy Dench's suggestion on the Graham Norton Show a couple of weeks ago that Branagh recasts the same actors in new roles for a sort of repertory theatre feel to the thing.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.