Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 08 February, 2017, 09:53:46 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 08 February, 2017, 09:47:03 PM
... I've always suspected Dave D'Antiquis was a play on words but I've never been able to work out what it might be.
I always figured it was meant to sound like "Day of the Anti-Christ."
Oh, that's a good effort!
We never really die.

TordelBack

sheridan

norton canes

Just re-read the first couple of episodes of 'Bitch' and it defintitely went over my head that Durham Red's victim is called Ab Rancid.

Fungus

Hewligan = Hooligan.
From a drunken moment of clarity, chatting to DDD at the 40th.

sheridan

Quote from: Fungus on 12 February, 2017, 01:55:47 AM
Hewligan = Hooligan.

You got that it was also Hewlett and Milligan though?

Fungus

Quote from: sheridan on 12 February, 2017, 02:16:05 AM
Quote from: Fungus on 12 February, 2017, 01:55:47 AM
Hewligan = Hooligan.

You got that it was also Hewlett and Milligan though?

Yup, of course.

glassstanley

M.A.C.H. Zero was quite macho. Only just spotted that one.

Magnetica

So you know how we never saw Nemesis in the first few episodes of Book 1 and he was only revealed later? (In the Sci-fi Special IIRC.)

Well actually he was on the cover of Prog 222 all along - he is there in orange on the left hand side border. I had never noticed that until this morning - take a look in the "Your Favourite Prog Covers" thread.

It is amazing how you can look at stuff but not see it properly - literally for years.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 24 March, 2017, 06:38:16 AM
So you know how we never saw Nemesis in the first few episodes of Book 1 and he was only revealed later? (In the Sci-fi Special IIRC.)

Not quite... the Sci-Fi special marginally predated Nemesis Bk1. Nemesis didn't appear outside the Blitzspear in the first couple of shorts, but the reveal came in the 1981 Sci-Fi Special (July 1, according to Google), and Nemesis Book 1 started later in the same month. (I certainly recall knowing what Nemesis looked like before the first book ran...)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

Thanks Jim. I couldn't quite remember when the Sci-if Special came out. But I do remember not being able to get hold of it at the time, so for me I didn't know what he looked like until he was shown a few episodes in.

It was only a couple of years later when I managed to get it.

I, Cosh

Like Cornelius Cardew before him, I only recently made the connection between the great maestro Pilchards-in-Tomato-Sauce Clayderman and the composer Karlheinz Stockhausen.

I'd like to think the name came first and the story quickly improvised over a couple of pints later.
We never really die.

Magnetica

So what is the Cornelius Cardew thing?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Magnetica on 24 March, 2017, 11:00:27 AM
In addition to being Skizz's pipe fitting mate, he was an English avant-garde composer and "loony leftie" who grew up not terribly far from Northampton.
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 24 March, 2017, 11:13:49 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 24 March, 2017, 11:00:27 AM
In addition to being Skizz's pipe fitting mate, he was an English avant-garde composer and "loony leftie" who grew up not terribly far from Northampton.

Good old Wikipedia: In Popular Culture