Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 05 June, 2017, 05:46:58 PM
Kingdom doesn't work for me in that sense. Gene (the) Hackman, Paul Numan, Clara Bow etc. Too contrived for me personally.

I always thought it was the kind of thing geek genehackers would do, name their creations after favourite stuff from movies music etc... there is a Skynet somewhere!  :o
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Indeed. It's also a pretty important part of the Aux culture: these are the kind of stupid names people give dogs, but taken completely un-ironically by the recipients, and in many cases used pridefully and literally, with consequences for how they view their own personalities and capabilities.  It's a very well developed gag.       

Jacqusie

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 05 June, 2017, 05:46:58 PM
Kingdom doesn't work for me in that sense. Gene (the) Hackman, Paul Numan, Clara Bow etc. Too contrived for me personally.

Me neither, I think if Dan Abnett left all the daft names in Sin/Dex world that would be ok (as it's premise is it's daft) but it gets a bit much when they start cropping up anywhere and everywhere. Ted Behr anyone? Jeez...

I'm just waiting for Dixie Normous and Ivor Biggen to liven things up in the snore fest that is Brink...

Dash Decent

I still say Kingdom needs a Ronnie Barker.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Dash Decent on 07 June, 2017, 12:32:57 PM

Was there a Jack Offenbark?
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

A.Cow

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 07 June, 2017, 02:05:59 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 07 June, 2017, 12:32:57 PM
Was there a Jack Offenbark?

Surely we should have Samuel L. Dachshund?

Steve Green

Say Woof one more time, motherf*cker - I dare you, I double dare you...

positronic

Things that went over Blackblood's head -- General Public.

hippynumber1

Not so much something that went over my head as something that went unnoticed until this morning: my copy of The ABC Warriors: The Third Element paperback actually reads 'The THRID Element' on the spine.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 08 June, 2017, 11:43:58 AM
Not so much something that went over my head as something that went unnoticed until this morning: my copy of The ABC Warriors: The Third Element paperback actually reads 'The THRID Element' on the spine.

Not to mention crediting Tony Skinner - who isn't in the book - but not Henry Flint, who very much is. No proofreading going on at all that day!
@jamesfeistdraws

A.Cow

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 June, 2017, 01:04:17 PM
No proofreading going on at all that day!

Either that or lots of 100°-proof reading.

Dash Decent

Not so much over my head but something I hadn't noticed before last night.  The Judges radio chatter at the very start of "Judge Minty" includes the old "Letsby Avenue" pun.  Classic!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

CalHab

Reading the new Lawless book, I only just realised Kill a Man Jaroo is a pun on Kilimanjaro.

Link Prime

Quote from: CalHab on 22 June, 2017, 04:37:31 PM
Reading the new Lawless book, I only just realised Kill a Man Jaroo is a pun on Kilimanjaro.

Ah c'mon.
That's Justin Credible.

Steve Green

Quote from: Dash Decent on 17 June, 2017, 12:26:46 PM
Not so much over my head but something I hadn't noticed before last night.  The Judges radio chatter at the very start of "Judge Minty" includes the old "Letsby Avenue" pun.  Classic!

I'd hazard a guess that's Mr Carroll's doing.