Main Menu

JULY ART COMP - WORDLESS STORIES

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 03 July, 2014, 12:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

From June's winner Martintds:

Quote"The great writer Ernest Hemingway famously wrote a story in six words "baby shoes for sale. Never worn". I would like something similar, in that I want you to create a story in one spread with no speech bubbles. Similar to what Brendan McCarthy accomplished in a summer special many moons ago with an epic Johnny alpha spread. You can use any 2000ad character past or present and make it as  small or as large as you need. One spread, no speech bubbles, one story."

So... choose a panel, however long or short - a story told without words- no letterers here !

Remember there are PRIZES TO BE WON - one for the winner, one for Tharg's Choice - ! All entries will be featured on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/2000adartcomp) where they are admired and liked by our 333 followers :D There will also be a bonafide 2000ad droid judging their favourite entry for Droid's Choice....!

Rules are these:

- You can enter as many times as you like but bear in mind it will split your vote so it may not be worth it.
- All entries have to be done specifically for this competition - so no pictures you've done for anything else.

YOU HAVE UNTIL THE 27TH OF JULY WHEN WE WILL MANGLE THE VOTING HEN.

amines2058

Oooh that's a toughie! Will try and get something in for this month as missed the past 2. It is just what to do??? Does anyone have any links to the Johnny Alpha spread mentioned by CCFM for inspiration?

judgerufian

'Spread' is confusing me a bit, can we have more than one image ie a full page like 'Bob Byrnes's Twisted Tales' or just one image telling a whole story?

Thanks for clarifying! I guess I'm a sucker for rules.....

Bolt-01

I 'believe' this is the image referred to...

Link Prime

It's a pretty good idea for the art comp.

It's in a similar vein to the type of comic cover that accurately portrays the story inside in a single image.
Sometimes its possible to deduce the entire interior story just from a cover.

Take this old Jonah Hex for example;

judgerufian

Ahhh starting to get the idea of it now, thanks chaps.

RaggedMan

Is it definitely single image rather than panels then?

Martintds

Yes a single image. As long as there's some kind of visual narrative going on. Thanks Bolt, thats the Brendan McCarthy spread i had in mind.

Fungus

Interesting theme. What it reminds me of more than anything are the supercovers from the early days. And worth emphasizing that you create a story rather than adapt a favourite story from the past... I think.

Martintds

RaggedMan

allied72

Dash Decent

For a moment there, I thought Dredd was taking them all to the movies!

But now I've had a proper look - great work, allied72!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

allied72

ha! it does look like a movie theater a bit alright

CrazyFoxMachine

*Bump*

Ooof this topic has been a bit of a non-starter!

Anyone working on anything? Former Tharg David Bishop won't have much to judge from!

:O