Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

I really don't get it. I assumed as you guys aren't all pre-teen girls that there would be some subtext, knowing adult jokes or subversion of the genre, but all it reminded me of was a Mills and Boon novel crossed with all the awful pantomimes I was dragged to as a kid.

TordelBack

I thought that too when I first watched it when it came out on video. I turned to my brother with that sinking feeling of being conned out of my money and said "what is this kiddie crap and why is Columbo in it". Ten minutes later I was in love. On learning it was back in the cinema that same year, my mates and I went to see it every Friday after school for a month. It's what we had wanted every game of D&D to be, but they somehow never were.

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 September, 2019, 03:27:05 PM
I think he was being sarcastic. And like Prof. Farnsworth, good news is never that.

It will be billed as a remake - same as DREDD.

I was indeed being sarcastic.

I also said it'd technically be a new adaptation of the book.  But then Tim Burton said that about his Planet of the Apes, and it was much more a remake of Planet of the Apes than it was Monkey Planet (by Pierre Boulet).

I probably spelled Pierre's surname incorrectly.  Also, I prefer both films to the book.

radiator

QuoteI assumed... that there would be some subtext, knowing adult jokes or subversion of the genre

You.... did watch the film, right?

Colin YNWA

I openly weep for those once respected peers. To have such a cold dead heart as to not love The Princess Bride makes me weep, weep big dripping man tears for you.

Tiplodocus

The ending (final assault on the castle) IS a bit flat though. Played relatively straight (from what I recall) and as a result all of the OTT staging and acting seems just that without gags to support it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Bolt-01

I was lucky enough to watch Princess Bride as part of a school film festival a couple of years ago. It remains to this day the best cinema experience I've 'ever' had. The 8-10 year olds were utterly engrossed in the story and exclaimed in all the right bits. This is from a film that is around 30 years old, too.

CalHab

Quote from: radiator on 25 September, 2019, 01:54:38 AM
QuoteI assumed... that there would be some subtext, knowing adult jokes or subversion of the genre

You.... did watch the film, right?

I don't know someone could watch the sword-fights, in particular, and not see that it is both a high watermark for the genre and a brilliant parody of it.

Horses for courses, I suppose.

Hawkmumbler

The Princess Bride is the perfect mawiiage of the high fantasy and satire.

Theblazeuk

I won't begrudge your opinions but I will say I've never seen anything so wrong on the entirety of this board, and I keep up with the political thread.

The book is also great.

von Boom

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 25 September, 2019, 09:11:32 AMThe 8-10 year olds were utterly engrossed in the story and exclaimed in all the right bits.

Oh I would have probably loved it at that age, and would probably still love it if I had that early attachment, but seeing it the first time as a middle aged dude in 2019, it came across as ... well, a children's movie.

broodblik

On Netflix now In the Shadow of the Moon. It is about a serial killer that appears every 9 years. This is a interesting story with a interesting twist
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Aquaman. I had lots of negative things to say about this film when I saw it in the cinema, but a home viewing proved me wrong: it's really very good fun, and the level of visual invention is impressive.

Originally I was put off by the last half hour, which just throws one thing after another at you (the Trench, the Hidden Sea, the kaiju-thing, the Brine..), but being aware of how it all fits together the spectacle is a lot more enjoyable. To my chagrin an early bit of exposition sets all this out quiteam clearly, but it went completely over my head first time out.

Lots of silliness, but no worse for it.