Main Menu

You know, like, old cartoons and stuff?

Started by House of Usher, 13 April, 2007, 06:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Every now and then someone dredges up a thread about half-remembered cartoons from the 1970s and 1980s and asks if anyone else remembers Space Sentinels or Battle of the Planets, and the like.

Well, I had a funny recollection the other day of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon where they hit on the genius (?) idea of a lion who was like The Fonz from Happy Days.

Anyone remember Heyyy, It's The King?

13 episodes, 1977.
STRIKE !!!

Dounreay

I can remember The Funky Phantom ("The spirit of 1776, even!"), the Hair Bear Bunch, Baileys Comets, Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space but for the life of me I can't recall Heyy, It's the King.

Obvious idea for a cartoon though when you think about it, back when Fonzie ruled the world.

Rather weird seeing  one of those 'pay a quid, grab a prize' machines t'other day full of Hong Kong Fuey soft toys. They must have found an old box full from the Seventies.  

Albion

I remember it.http://www.toonarific.com/pics_root/00001668/heyykinglogo.jpg">
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Steve Green

They really churned out a lot of short-lived ones in the 70s.

Yeah, I do remember it - mind you they had a precedent.

The Flintstones was based on the Honeymooners
Top Cat was Sergeant Bilko

- Steve

Wils

Although I'm sure I've seen Heyyy, It's the King at some point, this thread reminded me of...

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/fonzhdgangopening.jpg">

I, Cosh

We never really die.

skurvy

The King was ok but he was no Undercover Elephant was he?

TordelBack

Or Secret Squirrel, for that matter...

The Monarch

Holy I didn't know Peter "did you get that thing I sent ya" potamus was an existing character. I mean I know that Harvey birdman had a lot of chraacters from old hannah barbera cartoon in it but for some reason I didn't know peter was one of them.

Misanthrope

I heard a rumor that they brought a nephew of Scooby Doo's into the cartoon. I don't believe it for a second.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?