Main Menu

Warlord Dredd Game!

Started by Leigh S, 02 October, 2019, 07:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 December, 2019, 01:11:24 PM
Quote from: Mikey on 01 December, 2019, 11:27:58 AM
I so want one or more of the Mongoose Lawmasters.

I'd be happy with the one I already paid extra for in their 2012 KS. And the Judge Dredd mini. And the Justice Dept weapons pack. And the Justice Dept boxset. And the hover version of the pat-wagon I asked for.

In fairness, it's my own fault, after 5 years of emails, assurances and occasional packages I just gave up. I did get a Lawmaster with Spikes Harvey Rotten, but no judge to ride it... Mongoose are a shower.

Presumably you read their last Kickstarter update?

Back on thread - looks like I need to buy a tiny drill too!

Mikey

Oof! I had no idea the kickstarter had so many problems. Partly glad I missed out - my patience is shot to hell nowadays.

But yes, a wee drill is really useful - I have a manual pin vice, but also a Dremel for bigger kits and stuff. Bonus is they can be used in various DIY projects round the house, so a justified spend to Mrs Mikey, not just 'more geek crap'. Oh, and a vice can be good to have too I find - sometimes easier to clean up stuff held securely not in your hands!
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Leigh S

Yeah, my distaste for Mongoose started with the Lone Wolf reprint fiasco and their handling of the Dredd miniatures property finished me off, mostly when one of the many relaunchesrecycled minis I had with new ones, leaving me no room to justify the expense of buying minis I already had and wasnt a fan of again.

Rebellion brought Mongoose for a time didnt they, they let them go again?

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 01 December, 2019, 01:19:06 PM
Presumably you read their last Kickstarter update?

Back on thread - looks like I need to buy a tiny drill too!

Oh I read the update, and all the others. I just couldn't be arsed, I'd already thrown in the towel more than a year earlier. In the end I got far more minis from the KS than I could ever use, many of them really, really cool (Kenny Who?!, War Marshal Kazan, Walter), and I almost paid for my whole pledge selling off unwanted bits and doubles, so I definitely came out way ahead. It's just the constant assurances that they would fix mistakes, send replacements etc. for literal years just tired me out. A lot of good intentions, and stamina, on their part, but no sense of realism or organisation whatsoever.

ON TOPIC: Definitely get a little pin-vice (a manual drill you brace with your palm and just twiddle to turn) with a good range of drill-bit sizes, and an assortment of different sized paperclips to use as pinning rods. Takes no time, makes all the difference to assembling models. Best hobby tool I ever bought, and I think it was €6.

Leigh S

OK, whole lot of prepping goin' on!

First impressions, zarjaz!  I'd been a bit worried seeing some scale creep reported, probably the only thing which marred my overall impression of the stront minis - the first wave were tiny (poor Wulf and Stix most noticably).

There is some, but it appears to affect just two boxes - the block gang reinforcements and the Arch Villains - now both of these sets are metal, so thought it might be that the metals tured out bigger, but I've seen the a direct comparison of the starter set block gang in resin and metal and there is no difference - also Mean Machine is metal, but perfectly in scale.  Death, Orlok and two of the reinforcements on the other hand, are just too far out for me not to be mildly annoyed with (pictures of various size comparisons between Dredd and Stront figures are available in that Imgur post.

Overall though, a quality product and if it wasnt so darn cold, they would be undercoated by now! anyone have a portable heater I can stick in my garage for a few hours?!

Leigh S

Leigh S

Oh yeah, props to Warlord for adding in the Strontium Dog exclusive figure to the box - I was kicking myself for missing that one at the time!

Like with the stront book, there are some photos of the wave two figures and they look smashing - Citi-Def are very McMahony

Also reference made to Gerhardt, Mechanismo MK1 and robots in general....

Wave Three requests?

Citizens! (they could almost have had a build a fattie out of the ones provided.... will get a comparison with a GW  Fattie if I can.... thinking about it, it may have been an exclusive Fattie that made me drop Mongoose?)

Trapper Hag and his hounds -  a perect skirmish scenario

Juves - some younger looking gang members

Mechanismo Mark V (or is it  VI)

Trooper McFad

Leigh is the 2000Ad bag decent quality as thought about adding it but at £25 thought it a bit much. Also is that the Alpha staked out figure at the bottom of the pic? Are they selling that now?
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

TordelBack

Those fatties look amazing unpainted, much more realistically scaled and proportioned than previous versions. And wow is that a big ol' Death! I suppose he can be different sizes depending on the body he's inhabiting? Nice sculpt, though.

However, am I seeing a mildly scary amount of mould line on Dredd?

Leigh S

Got the bag for 16 quid sans dice (I have lots!).

It is indeed poor Johnny - I had pre-ordered the whole lot online at the eleventh hour for them bringing it to the show, so had a bit of a worry that they might not be able to sort it in time, but they did and threw that nice surprise in for me - didn't realise til i opened the box to check it was all there - real gents!

Leigh S

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 December, 2019, 05:31:10 PM
Those fatties look amazing unpainted, much more realistically scaled and proportioned than previous versions. And wow is that a big ol' Death! I suppose he can be different sizes depending on the body he's inhabiting? Nice sculpt, though.

However, am I seeing a mildly scary amount of mould line on Dredd?

I'm not seeing much if any mould line thankfully- might just  be the way the photo took - this plasticy resin stuff is a bit of an odd material for me - lots of extraction/extrusion points(?) where a little stub is left on the mini, but they cut off easily enough - not sure mould lines mght be a bit of a pain.  The worst clean up seems to be on one of the day sticks which had a connecting stem between it and the leg - the stick is so wobbly hard to get a neat scrape on it. 

Leigh S

Minor tidying (hopefully) required

Trooper McFad

You've been a busy boy.
They are superb - Santa still has to deliver mine so looking forward to the Holidays.
Hope you post your other figures when done.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

NapalmKev

The 'I Am The Law' starter set was waiting for me when I got home from work a few days ago. Complete with the Dredd vs Death pre-order mini.

It's a beautiful package but I'd somehow got the impression the boxed mini's would be bigger. Little concern to be honest as this is a really nice set on the whole.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"