Main Menu

Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]

Started by sheridan, 15 April, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

We should kidnap him and re-enact the entire film Misery scene for scene.

radiator

Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 May, 2019, 05:19:48 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 May, 2019, 09:47:54 AM
Quote from: wedgeski on 17 May, 2019, 09:43:48 AM
Well disclaimer, I haven't read the books, but GRRM's story will have exactly the same problems to solve as the TV show-runners, i.e. how to smash all these massive armies together in any way that is satisfying on a character level? I plan to read the books when they're all done, so I look forward to discovering his solution. :)

I have a feeling that if it was easy, it wouldn't have taken him eight years (and counting) to write a book (or books) wrapping it all up. The TV producers didn't have the luxury of saying "it'll be ready when it's ready".

I've probably mentioned this already but the delay has taken so long that I've had to go to my happy place of assuming that he'll never publish another GOT book.  He'll die or go senile or just never break through the writer's block.  (Man, my happy place is pretty depressing.)

Yeah. I'd say that there's a 50/50 chance we get Winds, but I'm going with the assumption that Dream will never see the light of day. Tbh with all of the dangling plot threads and sheer number of POV characters I seriously doubt two books would be enough to wrap it all up. My worry is that now the TV show has given away a lot of the ending he's lost his mojo.

I also heard a rumour that Winds was pretty much done and ready for publication a few years back, but that he wasn't happy with it so scrapped much of it and has been rewriting it ever since.

I guess a writer has to follow his muse, but I can't understand why he's wasting time on things like Fire & Blood. I'm a huge ASoIaF nerd, and even I couldn't get through that.

Funt Solo

Lost in his own world-building, perhaps?

As regards Misery crossed with GOT fans: [Half a million people surround the bed.] "We are all your biggest fans!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

QuoteI'm a huge ASoIaF nerd,

It's probably just me, but I mis-read that as "I'm a huge ass nerd."

radiator

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I know I said I'd avoid this thread, but I've just watched episode 5 and i was on the edge of my seat (well, bed, anyway) start to finish.

I remember listening to a podcast about the air raids during WW2 and how the A-bomb attacks weren't that much worse than the standard bombings; which is to say they were utterly appalling no matter what was being dropped.  It took a fantasy series with a dragon attack to give me a visual image to fit the description.

My brother predicted that this was exactly what Daenerys would do, but it was no less shocking for that.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dudley

So what does everyone reckon?  All the articles I've read seem to think that there either will be a definite winner of the GoT or that the whole system will be overthrown.  I'm beginning to wonder if there will be an ambiguous ending - Dany loses Drogon and we end with her troops facing Winterfell's alliance. They start to move towards each other and we fade to black...

JayzusB.Christ

An ambiguous, Watchmen ending would work for me. Jon killing Daenerys and being a sad king would be a bit predictable, but either way up I can't wait, and also feel a bit sad that such an epic show is nearly over.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Dudley on 18 May, 2019, 06:21:35 AM
So what does everyone reckon?  All the articles I've read seem to think that there either will be a definite winner of the GoT or that the whole system will be overthrown.  I'm beginning to wonder if there will be an ambiguous ending - Dany loses Drogon and we end with her troops facing Winterfell's alliance. They start to move towards each other and we fade to black...

I dunno. It would be a bit Sopranos. I assume that's pretty much how the final episode would start.

Maybe Dtogon eats Dany talks and says "About time I got MY  throne back. Anybody want to dispute me being rightful ruler? Anyone? Anyone?".

Then Tyrion. Arya and Jon steal their Dad's sports car for the day...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Regardless, criticism and postings will fall into three camps:

1) That was great and I will now show how I am as smart as the writers of the show and smarter than you.

2) That was shit and I will now show how I am smarter than you and the writers of the show.

3) Not enough tits and shagging.

broodblik

This is one of those show does not matter how it ends, people will not unhappy with it. I will just go with what they give us.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 18 May, 2019, 09:18:59 AM
Regardless, criticism and postings will fall into three camps:

1) That was great and I will now show how I am as smart as the writers of the show and smarter than you.

2) That was shit and I will now show how I am smarter than you and the writers of the show.

3) Not enough tits and shagging.

Number  2 will be the main one, and also 4) I wanted something else to happen and therefore the writers are bad. 

I want them all to realise they're on a TV set,  then go out of it and announce their resignations to the director,, then all go and find jobs in offices and supermarkets.

Then there can be a 9th season, but it'll be more like Coronation Street. 

Tiplodocus

Blazing Saddles ending! But with Dragons!

Mikey

If it's not a show stopping, cane/sword twirling, thanks to the audience for coming, glitzy show biz song and dance number I'll be ragin. I mean, A Song of Ice and Fire - if they don't deliver said actual song they deserve to die as that's what I've been expecting.

I'd settle for a soft rock, sweeping-slo mo-landscape-shots-while-guitar-solo-plays number too, and I suppose they've the haircuts for it.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dudley

I like the idea that you have been watching for 70+ hours of TV thinking "when's this fecking song going to start?"