Main Menu

Gears of War

Started by WoD, 17 November, 2006, 02:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

Anyone played it yet, and if so, is the 'take cover' feature similar to that employed in the Rogue Trooper game?  Also, have you played in on a SD TV and is it OK on that?

Cheers,
WoD

test 4 echo

And anyone with feedback on the multiplayer? I've been looking for an excuse to get a 360 for a while and was hoping this might be it.

Bico

Graphics are amazing, but there's no real draw to proceedings - it's all heavily geared towards taking cover rather than shooting like crazy.  If anything, it just reminds me of a hybrid of Killzone and Killswitch.  Rogue was more playable (and the 'take cover' mechanics were better employed), but not as pretty to look at.
Seems to run fine on my (non-HD) tv, though as usual the tiny onscreen subtitles are almost impossible to read - at what point do you stop endorsing the merits of HDTV and instead just seem to be punishing anyone who hasn't shelled out for one?

James

Get it WoD. You know you're gonna. I haven't played it on my SDTV yet but on the PC monitor it looks stunning. Like Grizzly there says it's similar to the Rogue cover system and based on what reviews and feedback i've read, the single player, although excellent pales in comparison to the multi which I haven't tried yet.

Also picked up the new Tony Hawk's today- should be fun.

Something Fishy

I've got it and it is stunning.

On an HD-TV it is the best game i've ever seen.

Something Fishy

The multi..

versus is brilliant and online co-op is just the best. brilliant.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I've got it. Plays a bit like the bastard son of Halo and Ghost Recon - which is a good thing. Can't compare the cover thing as I haven't played Rogue (is the Xbox verson backward compatible with a 360?), but basically it involves a context sensitive press of the A button and is dead simple to use.

I play on a plain old CRT and the graphics are pretty damn fabby! HD is over hyped panys in any event.

haven't tried multiplayer as I don't have Live Gold.
Lock up your spoons!

Bico

Well, the cover mechanics are more similar to aged PS2 blaster Killswitch, but not as advanced.  It sounds like a criticism, but it isn't, really.  Halo, for instance, has the depth of a puddle, and is the most imbecile-proof shooter you'll ever play, but this is a good thing, as it's also the best.  Likewise, Gears of War, while not a classic, is still idiot-proof and easy to play - it's just not for the gung-ho player, and probably owes more to the game mechanics of Playstation shooters than it does the massacre simulators of the original Xbox.

WoD

Picked it up and may have opportunity to play it later this week...

Xbox Rogue is now compatible with the 360 and I've started working my way through it.  It is a good game, under-rated in my humble opinion.

Radbacker

not got this yet but am enjoying both F.E.A.R. and Call of Duty 3 at the moment, havent got High def but both are still top looking games.

CU Radbacker

Devons Daddy

played it.
i am finding it hard not to purchase a 360 based on this game alone.mind blowing.pure adrenlin rush.

we are awaiting the wii and the ps3 and at least 6 -9 months until we upgrade our current xbox. allow prices to fall.
but truly if this is title now. what the hell are we expecting in 4 years.

halo v halo 2 for comparison.
it blows the mind to think about it.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Devons Daddy

played it.
i am finding it hard not to purchase a 360 based on this game alone.mind blowing.pure adrenlin rush.

we are awaiting the wii and the ps3 and at least 6 -9 months until we upgrade our current xbox. allow prices to fall.
but truly if this is title now. what the hell are we expecting in 4 years.

halo v halo 2 for comparison.
it blows the mind to think about it.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Radbacker

well went home for lunch and found the House mate has been a top chap and gone a brought a High Def T.V for the house.  Now I can play all me 360 games as there meant to be played.

how come we dont have Gears of War in OZ, I thought we had the same release schedual as you guys in the UK?

CU Radbacker

WoD

You have different release dates on a few things,,,I think games companies hate you more than us sometimes.

My new TV arrives tomorrow, and I will try and get it set up for the end of the week, so I'm going to wait until then before playing GOW.

Keef Monkey

My brother brought this round yesterday and we had a  couple of multiplayer games, was blown away by how it looked, intrigued to play the single player now.