Main Menu

Batman : Arkham Asylum

Started by bluemeanie, 29 June, 2009, 11:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Yeah DD, definitely game of the year. I finally completed the swine at 1.30am last night after playing for at least fifteen brilliant hours. I've still got loads of challenges to do, a heap of Nigma's riddles to solve and several of Arkham's recordings to find, just wonderful!

the shutdown man

It's another two weeks before it's out on the PC, the bastards. I'll have to give the demo a try.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Odd_Bloke

Noisybast

That's a pretty f**king specific record there. Faint whiff of marketing?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Goaty

uncle fester

Quote from: Pete Wells on 30 August, 2009, 07:03:53 AM
Yeah DD, definitely game of the year. I finally completed the swine at 1.30am last night after playing for at least fifteen brilliant hours. I've still got loads of challenges to do, a heap of Nigma's riddles to solve and several of Arkham's recordings to find, just wonderful!

I'll take that as a recommendation then! Hopefully get my mits on it this weekend...

Devons Daddy

WOW

this is incredible!!!!!!

story,script,camera angles,villains,textures.the list is endless.
no spoilers to the little touches that make you go WOW!
but its up there with the first time you played HALO on the Xbox or GOW hoarde online.

with the slew of titles on the way from now till christmas, you can only imagine how good this is,to say this is going to be  game of the year? it could well be. i just cant imagine the other titles scheduled being better then this.

BUY IT! worth your groats.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

ThryllSeekyr

After finally getting the PC Demo to work. Thanks to my father's recent purchase of a new computer.

At first first it didn't work even on his, but tryied it second time the next day before it was going to wipe it off and it fired up smoothly, but just little bit slow.

Now I'm really impressed with the game...the visuals superb, however drearly the colouring which is atleast of Gotham city.

The interior lighting of the Asylum, the long cluttered corridors. Reminds me of 'Dooom Three', comeing to think of it now, but also of that creepyness I found tobe vital componetof the first Alin film. The dimly lite, sometime flickering  corridors of the Nostromo space mining vessel.

I've played the demo three times getting a slightly different experience each time as I got more accustomed to the controls.

On my father's computer the Batman does walk and move painfully slow --thinking this was due to my father's choice of computerbeing less big on games--- but it pays off when he starts fighting. As you can take time to almost leisurely strike at one goon, while almost instantanously counter attacking the one that just squared off behind you. Although it feels like the computer is doing the fighting for you at times. Particulally when the camera zooms in on the finishing move. Which seems all the more autonmous.

Of course most fighting games are really....

I guess.

I love the way the cape ripples out behind him and the way this allows Batman to exercise his pseudo-count dracula signature waving of his cape in a vaguely Spanish bull-fighter fashion to misdirect opponents. Yeah, I tried out that thing with clicking the wheel on the mouse controller as the cape will temporilly blind them.

Some things I discovered, the batman will perform a tiger roll while tapping the spacebar once while running. This will become wicked head oever front flip if you tapp the space bar twwice while running head on at one of the Joker's goons.

Some of his combat moves appaer to be be hydrolically enhanced and at times the batman will leap sideways but totally enahnced in this fashion.

About the inmate with the strange name, who according to his comicbook bio was covered in a intricate assortment of scars. Lots of spirally designs and was alittle amused to find that these were really just notchs n dashs carved into his flesh

However I 'm definitely not happy with the takedown move. The one performed from behind. Batman really needs to pull this off faster or find another way of taking dwon multiple gunmen stealthly. As it feels like the other gunmen should have spun around and fired on me as the Batman was doing this.

I tried this scenario differently again. Rushing at them head on in full view, letting the batsuit take the damage and on my last go took down two of them before falling at the feet of the third. It's either impossibly hard to break your own combos in this game or I need more practice. You only need to attack them once to disarm them, I could imagine someone equipped as the Batman surviving that encounter, but not unscathed.

The last part of the demo, the most interesting once again after three goes within the last two days. I found quite a few way for the Manbat to dispatch those last few guards while silently taunting them by springing from gargoyle to gargoyle to floor to gargoyle to walkway and back to gargoyle while bataraning them.

beng able hang from the gargolye like a real bat. This came as a surprise to me. Though, it's so totally Batman. I'm glad they put that one in. Combined with finishing move on anybody walking underneath.

I took Bluemeanies' advice and bataranged thehanging amn frm the otherside, but didn't get my two forone. They weren't standing close enough.

The Gargoyle grappleing...

A nice touch, but I do hope those aren't to be the only wall fixtures that the Batman can rest on as well as grapple to. It was on my last play that I realised that he can grapple to roof of the building in the middle of that large room as well as some parts of the gantry walkway surrounding it.

The gargoyle... it's abit strange that they have been attached to the inside of building. I always thought that where there is a Gargoyle there is also a rain gutter, but also guess that the Arkan Asylum is a strange place where this type of archictecture is symbolic for a madhouse being designed turned inside out.

It does feel sort of uncomfortable, cold and unforgiving and that was the feeling I got from it's interior.

Might have been a more stealthy version of Judge Dredd, walking darkend corridors of the undercity. Funny how they both wear skin tight clothing and use gadjets. Though I must admit that Judge Dredd takes a different approach to crime, citizens and perps.

For those avid fans buying this game. I do hope that Batman has free roaming all over Gotham City while at the wheel the Bat-Mobile and I mean the streets, the parklands, townhall, the police department, the docks and warehouses, the railway as well as the Bruce Wayne estate, Manshion, it's grounds and the infamous Batcave. As I do hope this game isn't just confined to the Madhouse.   

GordonR

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 September, 2009, 08:33:14 AM
For those avid fans buying this game. I do hope that Batman has free roaming all over Gotham City while at the wheel the Bat-Mobile and I mean the streets, the parklands, townhall, the police department, the docks and warehouses, the railway as well as the Bruce Wayne estate, Manshion, it's grounds and the infamous Batcave. As I do hope this game isn't just confined to the Madhouse.   

Clue:  It's called Arkham Asylum

There are rooftops, towers, caves, sewer systems, park lands etc, but you still never leave the Asylum grounds.

amberkraken

Finnished main story, and this morning I completed all the Riddler's puzzles! -now on to the challenge modes!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: GordonR on 06 September, 2009, 02:23:44 PM

There are rooftops, towers, caves, sewer systems, park lands etc, but you still never leave the Asylum grounds.

Well, I should have guessed, but if I was actuelly going to buy this game. What I said above is what I would like to have seen used regardless of the games title.

I think next time. They should call it Batman's "Gotham City".

Pete Wells

QuoteI completed all the Riddler's puzzles!

Hey Amberkracken, I've done 238 out of 240 puzzles, there's no question marks flying around on my map and I can't seem to find 'em anywhere. Is there something different about the final two? One is Arkham's last diary entry if that's any help...

Dr Feeley Good

i know when you have the last diary entry,the spirit of arkam appears and challenges you to catch him,he goes to the security control room in the penitentiary,where you left the warden..the final puzzle is there !

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: GordonR on 06 September, 2009, 02:23:44 PM

I wonder if the Arkam Asylum can be thought of as microsym of the whole of Gotham City?