Main Menu

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Started by Goaty, 07 December, 2016, 02:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

To be fair to Colin, he did say "relatively recently" when referring to awareness of Cap.

As a kid I had the feeling that Superman and Batman were the most well known comics characters and that Spider-Man, in the UK, was an up and coming underdog in terms of awareness outside of comics. I based this opinion partly on the fact that I felt there was a limited amount of Marvel merchandise available, in comparison to DC.

All to my frustration, as DC comics were not considered cool amongst my school friends. I once counted my entire comics collection and my brother wouldn't accept I had more comics than him. By his logic, DC comics didn't even count as comics.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 December, 2016, 05:30:36 PM
I was making a point about how subjective this argument is either way - IE: my points about Cap's popularity outside nerd-dom were already made by others as reasons for Spidey's popularity with normos - but now that you've brought it up, has there ever been a chain of restaurants called Spider-Mans?

No, but neither were there any Supermans or Batmans.

The reason the name was chosen was presumably because Captain America had "America" in the title - it being a Yank themed restaurant - and it was a simple, marketable personified image like Ronald Mc Donald.

It is subjective, but apart from the iconography in a restaurant in Dublin, I don't remember much Captain America related material being available at the time.

Professor Bear

Again, I was not actually arguing that Cap was popular or well-known, just that if you were interested in geek culture, it might seem to be a possibility.

M.I.K.

Spider-Man might not have had a restaurant named after him, but he did have crisps.

He also had enough mainstream recognition to be parodied by Kenny Everett.

And Benny Hill did Wonder Woman, (if you'll pardon the expression).

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 December, 2016, 06:12:41 PM
Again, I was not actually arguing that Cap was popular or well-known, just that if you were interested in geek culture, it might seem to be a possibility.

Even without knowing the essentials of his story, Cap always did seem more - like Batman and Superman - of a vintage, which of course he is in every way coming from a different skein of value based icons and that's why he felt more distant, culturally, than Spider-Man or The Hulk. Maybe that's the difference we're sensing, age.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 December, 2016, 05:47:43 PM

The reason the name was chosen was presumably because Captain America had "America" in the title - it being a Yank themed restaurant - and it was a simple, marketable personified image like Ronald Mc Donald

Further to this point, Captain America's (restaurant) preceeded the arrival of Mickey D's first Irish incarnaction - on the very same street - by 6 years. So very much flying Old Glory.

Leigh S

Hope they have replaced him with massive Peter Fonda posters....

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 December, 2016, 09:07:04 PMFurther to this point, Captain America's (restaurant) preceeded the arrival of Mickey D's first Irish incarnaction - on the very same street - by 6 years. So very much flying Old Glory.

We were so awesome back then, especially Cork.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Leigh S on 10 December, 2016, 10:04:15 PM

Some panels remain.

Goaty

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 December, 2016, 10:14:59 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 10 December, 2016, 10:04:15 PM

Some panels remain.

Good fucking hamburger. That is all.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

The Legendary Shark

The thing about Captain America, for me, is that the modern films have taken everything I hated about the character as a nipper (stupid name, propagandistic nature) and, by acknowledging the basic stupidity of those ideas and the way they were basically foisted on him and turned them into strengths. I love the modern incarnation of a man out of his time, struggling to stick to old-fashioned values in a "f*ck you" modern age.

As a youngster I much preferred Spider-Man or Batman but now Cap is my favourite superhero with Wolverine a close second. (In my head I have a cover image of Cap's shield with three Wolverine claw scars on it - but this is such an obvious idea that it must already exist.)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 March, 2017, 12:01:46 AM
The thing about Captain America, for me, is that the modern films have taken everything I hated about the character as a nipper (stupid name, propagandistic nature) and, by acknowledging the basic stupidity of those ideas and the way they were basically foisted on him and turned them into strengths. I love the modern incarnation of a man out of his time, struggling to stick to old-fashioned values in a "f*ck you" modern age.

As a youngster I much preferred Spider-Man or Batman but now Cap is my favourite superhero with Wolverine a close second. (In my head I have a cover image of Cap's shield with three Wolverine claw scars on it - but this is such an obvious idea that it must already exist.)

I know what you mean. I think Chris Evans (not the ginger one) deserves a huge amount of credit. There's a noble charisma he lends to the part that is completely absent from the current Man of Steel. There's a line in The First Avenger, Cap says "I just hate bullies" or words to that effect, and I Swooned...

It was a very macho and manly swoon...
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

A manly swoon, yes, that's a perfect description of the way I feel too. Like it's okay to be a good guy, it's okay to stick up for the weak, it's okay to believe that the majority of people are basically decent and, above all, it's okay to bet your life on those beliefs.

Yeah, I know that most people are cynical and have little faith in humanity but Cap, just like me, knows that we are only hope. We have to believe in ourselves or we're f*cked - and it isn't superpowers that makes us special, it's the stubborn belief in our own flawed humanity. Even when battling the vastly superior Iron Man, his assertion that "I can do this all day" isn't about power, it's about belief.

Captain America be damned - it's Captain Humanity to me, and Chris Evans (again, to me) captures that perfectly.

I wonder if (with a vast portion of personal Sharkcentric arrogance) Captain America typifies what it really means to be human; as if the superpower we each and every one of us possess is quite simply our own humanity...

Yeah, yeah - I'll get me coat. But, y'know, I believe in the basic decency of my species, just like Cap.

Maybe I should have a shield (with the ~~~^~~~ logo) as well :D

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 March, 2017, 12:01:46 AM
(In my head I have a cover image of Cap's shield with three Wolverine claw scars on it - but this is such an obvious idea that it must already exist.)

I think it's been done a few times: