Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Smith

Because its hard to separate fiction from reality?

Link Prime

Quote from: Smith on 10 August, 2017, 02:33:25 PM

Dis aint ovah.

Tjm86

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 August, 2017, 03:16:31 PM
Quote from: Smith on 10 August, 2017, 02:33:25 PM

Dis aint ovah.

I'm going to refer you to Mr Gaiman's words on that topic, sir (or madam, don't mind which you prefer).

von Boom

Worldcon 2019 to take place in Dublin.

https://dublin2019.com/

Modern Panther

Catching up on Twin Peaks.  Really, how successful can a guy be if he just stumbles from disaster to disaster, not understanding things, speaking in bits of sentences and just agreeing with the last person he spoke to?  I mean, that's just....

Oh.  Yeah.

TordelBack

"On and on, you fall towards her
Cold embrace in shadowed doorway
Offers nothing, still she draws you
Ever to her

On and on and on, you stumble on
Towards the sinking sun
Turn a blind eye, fight or run
Rest assured, the night will come

On and on you grasp and guess
And search for patterns in the mess
Of what has been, and what is left
To yet endure"

You know the way you get a song stuck in your head? We I have this one - from Ned Rierson's unexpected solo in Tim Minchin's superb Groundhog Day musical - for a week now. Melancholy doesn't cover it. Thought I'd share.

TordelBack

Woo-hoo, double 'jack!

So today I'm wondering why Joss Whedon having secret extra-marital affairs bars him from being a feminist icon (specifically). Did the other participants in these affairs have no agency? Did all the mooning over lipstick-lesbians and short-skirted ass-kickers in his work somehow suggest a puritanical mein that he has betrayed? Does disrespecting an individual equate to disrespecting a whole gender?

He's bit of a git, maybe, but I can't see why it should bother anyone but his family.

Frank

Having googled an image of Whedon, congratulations seem more in order than condemnation.*

More pressing and of much greater importance is the revelation that it's pronounced

sink-ayyyy-vitch

... the thing in which you wash your face, followed by the Fonz's catchphrase, then what Angela Merkel dresses up as for Hallowe'en. I always said Shanky-vitch, but Dave Gibbons describes his fellow artist as a friend, so he should know:

http://www.orbitalcomics.com/orbital-in-conversation-episode-117-in-the-studio-with-dave-gibbons/

* Although if you asked me which US celebrity blamed his sexual incontinence on being "surrounded by needy, aggressive young women", I'd have guessed Don Trump.

Jim_Campbell

"Sin-KEV-ich"... it's actually on his website.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Smith

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 August, 2017, 02:04:41 PM
Woo-hoo, double 'jack!

So today I'm wondering why Joss Whedon having secret extra-marital affairs bars him from being a feminist icon (specifically). Did the other participants in these affairs have no agency? Did all the mooning over lipstick-lesbians and short-skirted ass-kickers in his work somehow suggest a puritanical mein that he has betrayed? Does disrespecting an individual equate to disrespecting a whole gender?

He's bit of a git, maybe, but I can't see why it should bother anyone but his family.
As I said before,it can be hard to separate artist from the art these days.

Frank

Quote"I can't think of another comic which has had one of our prime ministers on the front," she said"

I haven't checked the Guardian's comments or Twitter, but I'm pretty sure SelfMadeHero's Emma Hayley is about to become intimately acquainted with the covers of progs 843, 1071 and 1073.

Not sure how much of a market there is for a comic about Jezza; at least they're guaranteed to sell a copy to everyone here except Shark, myself, and Tankie (for different reasons):

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/aug/21/jeremy-corbyn-comic-book-hero?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 21 August, 2017, 05:17:12 PM
More pressing and of much greater importance is the revelation that it's pronounced

sink-ayyyy-vitch

As always, Alan Moore knows the score.

maryanddavid