Main Menu

Getting caught up. Contains talk of OLD games.

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 14 August, 2010, 12:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul faplad Finch

Well, I say old...

So the fact that I'm practically destitute and completely unable to afford to upgrade from the ps2 has been sidesteped by the fact that my nephew, with whom I am living, has just been gifted a 2nd hand Xbox360. And he's spending most of the school holidays staying with various members of the family so it's MINE for the duration.

I'd have preferred it were a ps3 of course, because I am a right thinking person, but beggars can not, as they say, be choosers.

So anyway, what games do I really need to catch up on now that I'm on the current generation machine? So far my list is:

Call of Duty 4 onwards
Arkham Asylum
Splinter Cell 5
RDR (possibly, not a huge Rockstar fan but this is getting raves so...)

Any other outright classics I need to play?  In the stealth action or fps genres mainly because I have Zero skills when it comes to Fighting or Driving games. Don't have the reflexes for them.

While I'm here, rather than revive an old thread about it - I picked up CoD4 as the first on my list. Am I alone in being massively dissapointed? What there is of it is fantastic but am I mad in thinking it was really fucking short? I'm utterly shit at these things and they normally take me forever to complete but this one was knocked off in a couple of days.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Roger Godpleton

Gears of War 2.
Bayonetta (You're a mis-ter-eeee...)
Bioshock 1 + 2.
The Orange Box.
Mass Effect 2.
Fable 2.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Jared Katooie

I feel that your capitalising of the word "old" in the title of this thread was uncalled for.

Paul faplad Finch

This is true. However, I was wary of falling fall of avid gamers for whom 6months ago is considered prehistoric and so felt obliged to offer some warning.

I was actually mocked in Game Station by a pair of kids because they heard me, when buying CoD4, turn down the offer of being put on the list for the new CoD (which I didn't even know was forthcoming, is it 7 or 8?) because I wanted to play the series in release order. They couldn't understand why anyone would possibly want to play a game that was *gasp* 3 years old.

Of course, I half wish the shop agreed with them. That way the older pre-owneds might be a bit cheaper.
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Gears of Wars and Halo 3 are X-box exclusive shooters that are must plays.

Bishock is a marmite shooter - and certainly no better than those three. It is more into showing off its fantastic design than actually being shooty-shooty bang-bang. The first three are more... exciting... in terms of set pieces and fire power and machismo.

BUT - Play Mass Effect 1, then Mass Effect 2, for some of the best story-led stuff you could hope for. Epic sci-fi. With foxy aliens who are up for it.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

Trials HD
Shadow Complex
Rez HD
Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST
The Orange Box is fantastic value for money - will keep you going for ages!
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - you can pick it up for peanuts. Very underrated game - takes a good couple of hours to get into it, but once you're in, it's clever, creative and absorbing.

Noisybast

This far in and nobody's mentioned Fallout 3?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Professor Bear

Paul faplad Finch

Wow, a lot here to be getting stuck into. Hadn't realised I'd missed so much. I'll probably stick Mass Effect games near the top of the list, as Dr X mentions their having particularly strong storylines. I do like my games to have a proper plot as well as playing well.

Now I'm off to Google Banjo Kazooie because frankly I've never heard of it and from the name alone it sounds insane.

The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 14 August, 2010, 04:17:19 PM
Wow, a lot here to be getting stuck into. Hadn't realised I'd missed so much. I'll probably stick Mass Effect games near the top of the list, as Dr X mentions their having particularly strong storylines. I do like my games to have a proper plot as well as playing well.

Now I'm off to Google Banjo Kazooie because frankly I've never heard of it and from the name alone it sounds insane.

Yeah, I'd second Mass Effect. The combat in the first one is pretty clunky and visually its quite glitchy, but otherwise its brilliant. Its essential to play it before ME2 because you can carry over your character to 2, with the decisions you made in the 1st game affecting how the 2nd one plays out, and while ME1 is a brilliant game ME2 is hands down the best gaming I think I've ever had.

mogzilla

Quote from: Professah Byah on 14 August, 2010, 12:22:37 PM
Fallout 3 isn't much good.

wash your mouth out sir!

its feckin arsom   bit daunting at first but stick at it and collect and sell everything you can carry  

259 hours in on this 3rd playthrough enjoying the pootle around till new vegas comes along!!!

oh and red dead redemption

i prefer cod 4 to the new one anyways so dont let some snotty kids put you off i like the open ended free roaming stuff but i recently got singularity which was quite good despite being criminally under the radar

oblivion elder scrolls 4

bluemeanie

Mass Effect 1 and especially 2 are stunning. Like others have said, 1 isnt as good but you will get so much more out of the 2nd if you play it first

Spent about 2 hours this afternoon getting the original Knights of the Old Republic working on Vista. Seems to be working ok now tho so looking forward to playing through this again in total "Evil Bastard" mode

Professor Bear

Quote from: bluemeanie on 14 August, 2010, 06:52:33 PMSpent about 2 hours this afternoon getting the original Knights of the Old Republic working on Vista.

Ah, [spoiler]fuck [/spoiler]Vista.  It is a thing of last resort.

Shop around and you can pick up an old Xbox for about 20-30 quid, with the games for less than a tenner if you'll trawl Amazon marketplace and the like.  There's plenty of good gaming to be had on the last gen that would justify shelling out for a decade-old console, and I speak as someone who's still happily playing GTA: San Andreas.

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Professah Byah on 14 August, 2010, 07:40:43 PM
There's plenty of good gaming to be had on the last gen

I could quite happily have gone on with the ps2 for a good long while to come if it were not for the fact that I absolutely love the Splinter Cell games and it was killing me that there was a new one out that I had no chance of playing. This also applies to a slightly lesser extent to the CoD games.

As great as some of these others sound, and I'll deffo play them all now I can, none of them would have prompted any great desire to upgrade.
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read