Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Pauul

Your art looks great Conceptboy.

Keep up the good work.

Panos

Hello everyone, first post here! There is some great artwork in here! This is my version of the Judge Dredd script,

pg1

pg2

pg3

pg4

pg5

pg6

Comments and crits most wellcomed

P.S Is 2000ad accepting international submissions?

CrazyFoxMachine

radiator

Nice work, Panos.

My criticisms would be the usual - figure drawing and perspectives need work, and the last page looks very rushed compared to the others.

Mardroid

I'm not much of an artist but I didn't see much wrong with the figure drawing, although occasionally the heads look proportionally a little too large. I'm not sure that's 'wrong' though as plenty of comic styles go for exaggeration in certain areas.

Personally I prefer more a black fill for shadows rather than line shading (except for a first draft/pencils) but I suspect that's a stylistic thing with no right or wrong.

The lawgiver mark 2 looked a bit narrow to me, but that is a legitimate way a lot of artists draw it, including those who appear in the comics, so this is purely a personal taste thing.

I think the art is pretty smashing though, and it tells the story well, which is important. I particularly liked the Judge uniform style change through the years (although would the kid be that old?).

Great stuff.

radiator

QuoteI'm not much of an artist but I didn't see much wrong with the figure drawing, although occasionally the heads look proportionally a little too large. I'm not sure that's 'wrong' though as plenty of comic styles go for exaggeration in certain areas.

I'll go into more detail later if I get time, but one thing that jumps out is the hands. While many are fine, there are definitely a few that don't look very convincing.

There's also the issue of scale re: the boy and the man holding the knife on page one - the boy is tiny compared to the man. Look specifically at the size of the heads... Is a child's head that much smaller than that of a fully grown man?

There are a few other instances of legs and arms being far too long or short, as well as the head size issue - personally I'd say a few look too small.

Overall, imo certain panels look quite heavily photo-ref'd, while other clearly are not, which lends a certain inconsistency to the artwork.

locustsofdeath!

I really like the rain in panels 4:5 and 4:6. Great atmosphere. A few of the posed figures look a little awkward (6:1) and unnatural, but there are also some very dynamic panels (3:5, 5:5 and those rain panels). Nice work overall!

Van Dom

Very nice work Panos. I like that sketchy style. Keep up the good work, hope to see some more.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

chilipenguin

Very nice. I'm not a great judge of scale and perspective so I won't comment on that. The one crit I would make is that panel 4 on the final page doesn't work for me. I know that he's caught sight of himself in the mirror, but the vertical line makes it look like a seperate panel, which ruins the effect. I would change the position of the mirror to make it more clear.

Other than that, I really like it.

Are you planning on inking it?

conceptboy

Just knocked up the first page for "SorrowHill"... added a bit of colour and a colleague did the lettering... well it beats working on cat food displays!!!

Always welcome feedback and comments..

johnnystress

Very nice!

I started drawing this strip too but gave up

Might go back and have another go

Van Dom

That's some good looking work there conceptboy!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Pauul

Brilliant work Panos. I agree with Mardroid about the shading, but that copuld just be personal taste.

'SorrowHill' looks good, Conceptboy. Well drawn and beautifully coloured.

3ciona

Hello all
I decided to post my drawings. All of the pages are already inked, now i am working on colours and I'm hoping to post them sometime soon.
Here we go:

Hope you like them.