Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

Wow! Those are...Wow! Love your take on the design aspect of the strip, recognisable but original, excellent. Beautiful pencils and your command of perspective and figurative work is spot-on. Well done, seriously impressed.  :D

3ciona

Thanks a lot. If you want to see some more of my works, plesae visit my blog.
http://kolejkadoszczescia.blogspot.com/search/label/bioshock . That is the only comic [bioshock fan fiction btw] I did myself and consider it to be finished.

Best

Kerrin

Cool. Liked that.

Keep us posted on how you get on with the sample you send to Tharg.

Emperor

I really like those, all angular and eye-popping. I'd love to see it inked too. "Cycle of Violence" is a difficult script to work with, as so many other people go for it too, but you've really made it your own.

Excellent work on your blog too.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

uncle fester

Some really nice character work and camera angles going on there. Look forward to seeing the inks.

Good stuff.

Van Dom

Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

The Adventurer

Quote from: 3ciona on 05 December, 2010, 10:12:34 PM
Hello all
I decided to post my drawings. All of the pages are already inked, now i am working on colours and I'm hoping to post them sometime soon.
Here we go:

Hope you like them.

Cool style. My only problem is the last panel of the last page. Its impossible to tell if its Dredd or Klien who's shooting.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

3ciona

Hello

Thanks for all the comments.

The Adventurer
"Cool style. My only problem is the last panel of the last page. Its impossible to tell if its Dredd or Klien who's shooting."

Two reasons i did it:

1] It is a Dredd comic so if you don't know who is shooting it is probably Dredd shooting the nondredds ;)'

2] I just couldn't draw pretty much the same Kleins POV of Dredd aiming at him for the third time in a 6-page story.

I know that this panel is not simply telling us that it is Dredd that is shooting but i belive that Dredd readers have faith in their hero;)

please excuse my english i haven't been writing anything for a while [ in english ]
Best

Adrian Bamforth

Okay, this took absolutely ages due to my aim to produce some bullet-proof new samples and get back in the game. The hardest parts were definitely trying to draw the dead girl (vary hard to get the "pose" right, since it's the opposite of the usually comic dynamism), especially with the first opening birds-eye-view shot which I insisted on (I wanted the girl to look quite pouting and sassy in the first frame before pulling out a la Sin City to make it a bit more cinematic but it just wasn't happening), and re-designing the Academy, which looks a little ridiculous in the shape of a fat eagle.

Haven't looked at Cliff Robinson's pages yet on account of him blowing everyone out of the water.

CrazyFoxMachine

*unconstructed criticism alert*

THIS IS FCKING AMAZING. I'd happily sit in front of the prog and ABSORB THIS.

Steven Denton

I am really enjoying seeing all the different versions Cycle of Violence. Very solid work  Adrian, normally I would try and find something critical to say but I can't really see anything technically wrong with your art or story telling. Solid work.

Kerrin

Bloody hell Adrian! The first version of this was good, but this? Straight in the prog, gotta be.

I think it was a good idea to change the way the Lawgiver is held. I believe you've tweaked the helmet design as well, brilliant, I personally think a flared lid is class. The visor works really well. The Academy is class, there's some real John Higgins massiveness to it. The whole thing is spot on sir, I'd love to see it in the prog.

Jared Katooie

Excellent stuff there Ade (well obviously).

If I may be so bold as to venture a criticism: I think that Dredd should be shown firing his lawgiver at the end of page 1. Otherwise it feels like there's a scene missing between page 1 and page 2.

Obviously there's no criticising the actual art. This is exceptional stuff, as always. I love the level of detail here, the unusual "camera angles", and use of light and shadow.

Give this man a mega-epic to draw!

pauljholden

Bit baffled as to why you covered up the nice art with lettering - Tharg won't want to see it! (I'd also be a bit worried that without the lettering it's not obvious to an editor where the space for lettering is).

You know you're good enough for 2000AD, Ade - I do think though, that the obstacle you'll have to assault will be making Tharg see your art with a fresh set of eyes - which is a damn sight more difficult than simply showing you're good enough (and god knows, I feel I have to do that all the bloody time...)

-pj

Adrian Bamforth

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 13 December, 2010, 11:16:10 PM
If I may be so bold as to venture a criticism: I think that Dredd should be shown firing his lawgiver at the end of page 1.

Well spotted: I decided to draw the explosion separately so I could play around with it with in Photoshop. In the end it just didn't seem to be working in B&W - it looked too solid, so I decided it would be best to leave until the colouring stage where there's more effects to play with. It'll make me think again about any similar shot in future: It's the most dramatic way of drawing gun-toting since you get a line of sight past the gun to the firer's eye, though if the gun it also being fired it risks obscuring everything.

PJ: Thanks for your compliments - I personally find putting the lettering on brings the strip to like, and makes it look print ready, as well as showing you've left enough space for the text. More importantly, if there's a bit of the panel i don't like, I can put a nice big box over it!

I think I've made a bit of a leap here with a change in some of my methods. I decided a long time ago though that the only really reliable tactic I can use is to just keep improving to the point where editors simply can't ignore your work.