Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

This is really interesting - I've just begun the process of pre-drawing layouts using photo montages and sketch up and things - it's amazing to see much can be done. Kind of explains how incredibly solidly brilliant your work is Mr Bamforth!

Actually - are you getting surplus love on this board after the numerous revelations of the sexy avatar thread?

YOUR WHITE TAC IS GRUBBY. There I said it.

pauljholden

Quote from: 3ciona on 27 January, 2011, 02:02:04 PM
pauljholden: I know I have some problems with leaving enough "deadspace". I think that the best solution for me would be to design panels with letterer before I start to draw anything.

Honestly, the best way to correct this problem is to see your work published - happily, if you're willing to work for free, it's DEAD EASY to get lots of comics published - if you even just say the word on this thread I'm sure there's at least two or three people that can supply you with a script that will end up in a published comic. It's not 2000AD, but it is experience.

-pj

Richmond Clements

Quote from: pauljholden on 30 January, 2011, 07:26:23 PM
Quote from: 3ciona on 27 January, 2011, 02:02:04 PM
pauljholden: I know I have some problems with leaving enough "deadspace". I think that the best solution for me would be to design panels with letterer before I start to draw anything.

Honestly, the best way to correct this problem is to see your work published - happily, if you're willing to work for free, it's DEAD EASY to get lots of comics published - if you even just say the word on this thread I'm sure there's at least two or three people that can supply you with a script that will end up in a published comic. It's not 2000AD, but it is experience.

-pj

Yes. Please drop me a line!

Jared Katooie

I done a script what was dead good. If you want some script, let me know and I'll make one for you drawing.

CrazyFoxMachine

3ciona

Right now i am working with somebody from this forum on some non-profit comic [ i mean i will start drawing it as soon as i finish my Dredd comission, around wednesday i hope]. I also decided to learn something about lettering, thanks for the tutorial pjholden.

3ciona

The lettering tutorial was made by Jim Campbell. My mistake, sorry

Steven Denton

Adrian, I have tried the photomontage thing in the past, it always looks too posed and static. I'm not above using a draw over of photo or 3d reference for the odd background but for people I think it just doesn't work.

The more versions of 'cycle of violence' I see the more I'm tempted to have a stab at it myself.

Adrian Bamforth

Well some of my favourite artists use photo-ref brilliantly: Chris Weston, Sean Phillips, Bryan Hitch and Leigh Gallagher. I definitely think you have to be pretty much as good at drawing without the photos for it to work, then you can use it as a means to save time on anatomy, lighting and poses so you can invest more detail or mood. I also think it helps if you have a strong visual style to help you disguise what you're doing, and keep the 'heightened reality' feel native to comic art. With artists like Alex Ross the art is so realistic it tends to just remind you how ridiculous superheros look in the real world.

I found a pretty good way of doing it without the need for assistance, using a webcam, which is easily placed anywhere, and filming short sequences so you can simply pick out whichever frames you like. When it came to tracing the figures though, the fun just looked sucked out of the page and I would end up reworking everything to the point where there was no photo-ref left.

staticgirl

I've started collecting barbie (and the disney princess dolls) dolls for use as mannequins to help me withe perspective mainly. Expect characters with impossible bosoms at some point. :D :D I'm also on the lookout for action men for the same reason. Obviously I'm not buying them new, that would be silly but the charity shops are surprisingly bare of poseable figures (with or without childish attempts at hairdressing).

I never have time to try other people's scripts. This is a sad thing.

CrazyFoxMachine

I bought a TARDIS for reference purposes.

that's right.... reference purposes.

FuzzChile99

Does the artwork have to be in monochrome pen, brush and ink? I can pencil and ink , but over the years I've been painting with a mouse in photoshop so  I have two styles and two methods of producing comic strips , so for these submission stories should I approach it with a more traditional approach?

Bubba Zebill

My son showed me that there were 19 pages to this thread, I had missed that completely :-[. So we read through them together last night and really enjoyed the various interpretations of 'Cycle of Violence'. A week or two back, filled with the optimism of, well, insanity, I downloaded the script to illustrate it. I had quite forgotten how tough JD is - to draw! I think he must be one of the hardest characters of all with all those pimped and pumped up details. I have almost no time during the week, so I'm bagging time on this pet project when I can. I'll post my pages as soon as they are ready. But hats off to anyone who takes on this character and his intricate world! Bravo all and one.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Emperor

Perhaps you might want to consider doing a different script? Cycle of Violence has been done so often it is difficult to make it your own and stand out. There are other Dredds as well as plenty of other stories to try too. Just a thought, anyway.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Bubba Zebill

Thanks for the suggestion Emperor. If I'd known Cycle of Violence was so popular I would have selected another script from the site, but page 1 is done now and a panorama of the city is turning out to be just too much fun to turn back now. I'm pleased I'd blocked in everything before seeing the various takes of the script, however. I'll post them here soon enough.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105