Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judo

that's a shame you won't have it finished but alas speed is a lot of artists downfall. You should practice speed drawing - see how much of a page you can get done in say 2 hours - cos you might be able to work a lot faster to a similar standard with practice x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Karl Stephan

Quote from: Judo on 20 February, 2012, 05:37:06 PM
that's a shame you won't have it finished but alas speed is a lot of artists downfall. You should practice speed drawing - see how much of a page you can get done in say 2 hours - cos you might be able to work a lot faster to a similar standard with practice x

I agree there. Usually I can knock out 10 or so pages a month (working full time), but that's on my own comics. I haven't ever really drawn characters that weren't my own and now I think I've got a case of stage fright ;p I'm sure practice will sort it out over time.

Emperor

I think the important thing is to have some inked pages done to the standard you want, you can also show the other pages too if he is interested in seeing them. Better that than 5 pages that you've rushed.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Judo

yes take your time with your portfolio and get it perfect. Just look at frank quitely - he submitted half finished work that was perfect and look where that got him. Just practice speed in your own time and yeah you will build confidence. To practice do your roughs on one sheet and then just ink straight over - that might give you a more dynamic fluid style too x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Karl Stephan

Last one.

Quote from: Emperor on 20 February, 2012, 11:27:50 PM

I think the important thing is to have some inked pages done to the standard you want, you can also show the other pages too if he is interested in seeing them. Better that than 5 pages that you've rushed.

That's the other thing. Why rush when there's no real reason to?

Emperor

Lovely stuff, I really like what you've done.

The only thing that strikes me looking over the inks is that while some panels have lush detailed backgrounds, some panels don't have any. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned, and it can really help focus the reader on the key figure in the panel (and speech balloons will take up more of the space), but it can lead to some figures being largely divorced from their surroundings - the judge in the fifth panel of that last page is almost floating in the air. Even a slight simple silhouette could help a lot and really help the colourist.

Anyway good luck at the con and be sure to let us know what kind of feedback you got.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Karl Stephan

Steven Denton

Ages ago (probably about 2 years!) I printed off cycle of violence with a view to having a go at it. I have finally gotten started on it. I decided to forgo all of my laborious process and just draw strait to the page from the script to keep in drawing practice.

TordelBack

Quote from: Steven Denton on 23 February, 2012, 02:21:38 PM
Ages ago (probably about 2 years!) I printed off cycle of violence with a view to having a go at it. I have finally gotten started on it. I decided to forgo all of my laborious process and just draw strait to the page from the script to keep in drawing practice.

Love, love, love that Dredd.  I'm sure CF will have things to say about the shell casing, but I think that panel looks brilliant. 

CrazyFoxMachine

That's top quality Denton standard sequential artwork there. I bloody love it.

Karl Stephan

No luck at the Con :/, but in the interest of helping others avoid the same pitfalls, here's the review I got:

The art style they want for Dredd stories seems to be more on the realistic side rather than stylized. Matt also recommended I take up figure drawing to improve on my anatomy. Inking - should be heavier. Dialogue space - I didn't lave enough.

CrazyFoxMachine

Ahhh sweet sweet feedback - for what it's worth Karl I think you kick the living arse and I'd love to have you draw something for me. IN FACT you're on my want list - !

TordelBack

Tough one, Sparkonaut.  FWIW I absolutely love your style - but there's no harm in working on more realistic anatomy if it broadens the appeal of, and thus the market for, your work.  It's not like you haven't got the rest nailed down already.  Keep at it, I want to be reading your Dredd ASAP!

Emperor

Quote from: Sparkonaut on 25 February, 2012, 07:55:52 PM
No luck at the Con :/, but in the interest of helping others avoid the same pitfalls, here's the review I got:

The art style they want for Dredd stories seems to be more on the realistic side rather than stylized. Matt also recommended I take up figure drawing to improve on my anatomy. Inking - should be heavier. Dialogue space - I didn't lave enough.

It's good advice, the bit about wanting more realistic styles on Dredd might help some people in the future. I thought it was a good pick but clearly if the style isn't want he is looking for then there isn't much you can do. The problem there is Tharg has so many great droids that can work in a realistic style, you'd have to come up with something exceptional to catch his eye. Not that you shouldn't give that a go mind, but it might be that next time you go for something like "Old Red" or "The Colossal Wealth of Karn Foul-Eye" that allows you make it your own, in your distinctive style.

locustsofdeath!

Great constructive feedback, Sparkonaut. I for one really dig your style - but if Matt gives you good, solid feedback like that, it'll only make you even better.

I do agree with his assessment of the inking - not that I have a problem with it, not at all - but I personally prefer a bit heavier inking. Still, your stuff is dynamic and energetic, so you're ahead of plenty of others...