Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

That's a shame - personally I'm a big fan of the more stylised Dredd artists - McMahon, McCarthy, Dyer etc - even Henry Flint, who I certainly wouldn't describe as 'realistic'!

I really dig your style Sparkonaut, it's right up my street.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: Sparkonaut on 25 February, 2012, 07:55:52 PM
The art style they want for Dredd stories seems to be more on the realistic side rather than stylized.

That kind of bugs me a bit to be honest. Dredd's the kind of story and character that can be sucessfully rendered in a lot of different art styles. In my opinion at least. Also, Nick Dyer has drawn Dredd more than once. Is his style hyper-realistic?

Anyway, impressive work Spark. Hope you favour us with some more of your work in the future.

Karl Stephan

Quote from: radiator on 25 February, 2012, 10:45:19 PM
That's a shame - personally I'm a big fan of the more stylised Dredd artists - McMahon, McCarthy, Dyer etc - even Henry Flint, who I certainly wouldn't describe as 'realistic'!

Those are my favourites too, especially Brendan McCarthy and McMahon. Kevin O'Neil also did a few, which looked as crazy cool as his other projects. To me, these guys are what made Dredd distinguishable from the American superhero characters of the time, which look too polished and wholesome for Dredd's warped, dystopian world.

Oh well. too bad. I'll work on my inking and anatomy though.

Noisybast

Funnily enough, Sparlonaut's stuff put me in mind of Radiator's work - which is not to say the look alike, more they share a "feel". I'd be happy to see either artist in my prog.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

staticgirl

It's a bit weird as the best 200AD artists have always had a 'style'. They're not all Arthur Ranson are they? Oh well, in a few years time they might be tired of realism - these things tend to go in cycles.

I thought it was fantastic, Sparkonaut, and life drawing is fun. Have you ever done any Strontium Dog? I'd love to see your mutants.

I might sound like a moron but what do they mean by 'heavier inking'? Thicker lines?

Karl Stephan

Quote from: Noisybast on 26 February, 2012, 01:59:10 PM
Funnily enough, Sparlonaut's stuff put me in mind of Radiator's work - which is not to say the look alike, more they share a "feel". I'd be happy to see either artist in my prog.

And,  like I said earlier, I like his stuff too :)

Quote from: staticgirl on 26 February, 2012, 07:29:19 PM

I thought it was fantastic, Sparkonaut, and life drawing is fun. Have you ever done any Strontium Dog? I'd love to see your mutants.

Thanks, Staticgirl. Nope. This was my first attempt at depicting characters that aren't my own. I'll have to assess what I do next (if anything at all). He suggested Sinister Dexter, which I'll look into if I can find a script.

Quote from: staticgirl on 26 February, 2012, 07:29:19 PM
I might sound like a moron but what do they mean by 'heavier inking'? Thicker lines?

I think he meant filling in more areas with black (like the shadows on Dredd's body suit), to make elements more discernible from each other.

Emperor

Quote from: Sparkonaut on 26 February, 2012, 08:11:37 PMHe suggested Sinister Dexter, which I'll look into if I can find a script.

Ah ha. That is a good call. I don't believe there are any knocking about publicly, but I know someone who has one. I'm not really sure what the etiquette is about emailing Tharg about it (it helps if you've asked whether he could hook you up with a suitable script at a portfolio viewing, as you've broken the ice), as we don't want everyone emailing for scripts when there are a lot out there, but he did suggest a series for which public scripts aren't easy to come by. Unless anyone has any bright ideas, the simplest thing might be seeing if I ask the person I know with the script if they can pass it along.* Otherwise there are a couple of SD artists around here who might have saved one, but if there is a specific script you think you'd do well on then you might need to contact Tharg. However, we'll see what we can sort out first.

It makes me think it might be nice to get a new batch of scripts in Barney's archive, to freshen things up a little. If anyone is reading this who can help...

[edit: * It sounds like I'm being evasive but it might be they've been asked not to spread it around, so I wanted to avoid naming them so they don't feel pressured into it. I think quite a few people have seen their attempt at that already, so it is hardly a big secret.]
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Karl Stephan

That'd be sweet, Emperor  :D I was also thinking to do some homework on this and find a script I can shine on, so anything you can send my way would be great. That and I need to look at the newer progs. I've read Tordleback, Shakara, Zombo and some other new collections, but I have no idea of the other trends.

TordelBack

Quote from: Sparkonaut on 27 February, 2012, 09:22:26 AMI've read Tordleback, .... and some other new collections...

That's my favourite one, oh the adventures that dashing rascal has!

Emperor

Quote from: Sparkonaut on 27 February, 2012, 09:22:26 AM
That'd be sweet, Emperor  :D I was also thinking to do some homework on this and find a script I can shine on, so anything you can send my way would be great.

Righto. I'll ask around and see what I can rummage together.

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 February, 2012, 10:50:40 AM
Quote from: Sparkonaut on 27 February, 2012, 09:22:26 AMI've read Tordleback, .... and some other new collections...

That's my favourite one, oh the adventures that dashing rascal has!

I always thought he was a c[spoiler]rackpo[/spoiler]t. ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Cpt. Fabs

Wow, Sparkonaut, you've posted some really stunning pages there. I'm not a pro of course but I like pretty much everything - the angles, perspective, backgrounds, characters. I'm really looking forward to what your pages will look like once you get the required anatomy and realism straight. Keep it up!

Steven Denton

I had a day where I was waiting for the end of one part of a project before moving onto the start of the next part so I drew page 2 of Cycle of Violence.

Steven Denton

It's back to work for me tomorrow so I will have to pick the rest of this up at a later date.

Emperor

I like what you've done with that side panel there, works very nicely with the rest of the page - keeping the right side white helps the sub-panels "pop" more.

Overlaying the smaller panels over what is essentially a background panel also worked nicely on the previous page you had.

terrapin

Yeah I think the panels overlaying the 1st image works really well and the page reads really well. I read through this script and theres alot of ground to cover in these six panels but the story here is clear to me.
Being constructive I would say the foreshortening on Kleins arm needs work and also that in the 4th panel klein on the bike seems to get lost in the detail of the background. Im working on my inking at the moment so I know how difficult it is to get variations in tones with just black and white. Look forward to seeing the other pages.