Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Quote from: pauljholden on 14 June, 2012, 04:08:46 PM

If you ever use the phrase "this isn't up to my usual standard" during a portfolio review then, I'm afraid any editor will dismiss you as not being very serious about what you're doing

Yeah, afraid I'd have to agree with that. Certainly at interview I'd want to know why you hadn't brought your best work with you.

Quote from: Kev weldon on 14 June, 2012, 03:37:56 PM
Frankly these pages were rushed so as to have them ready in time for Kapow

That's interesting though. How did it go down? Did you get useful feedback there? Who did you show it to?

Also, just as a general question to nobody in particular; how come almost everybody picks Cycle of Violence? Is it 'cos you get to draw Dredd shooting?

a chosen rider

Quote from: Jon on 14 June, 2012, 05:34:09 PMAlso, just as a general question to nobody in particular; how come almost everybody picks Cycle of Violence? Is it 'cos you get to draw Dredd shooting?

I'm guessing it's because the only other Dredd script in the supplied sample scripts zip revolves around a cit's struggles with an intelligent toilet, plus is loaded with nine-panel pages and even has one page with ten.  :D  Of course, being brave enough to tackle that one might actually serve you well in getting Tharg's attention.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Bubba Zebill

Also, just as a general question to nobody in particular; how come almost everybody picks Cycle of Violence? Is it 'cos you get to draw Dredd shooting?
[/quote]

In my case I decided before opening the PDF's that I'd do the first I opened, weather I liked it or not, because I would have to be able to do the best I could with any script I could be asked to do. Later I realized tons of people had done it and I wished I'd done one of the others.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Jon

Quote from: a chosen rider on 14 June, 2012, 05:51:01 PM
Quote from: Jon on 14 June, 2012, 05:34:09 PMAlso, just as a general question to nobody in particular; how come almost everybody picks Cycle of Violence? Is it 'cos you get to draw Dredd shooting?

I'm guessing it's because the only other Dredd script in the supplied sample scripts zip revolves around a cit's struggles with an intelligent toilet, plus is loaded with nine-panel pages and even has one page with ten.  :D  Of course, being brave enough to tackle that one might actually serve you well in getting Tharg's attention.

Heh, yeah. Though it didn't do me any favours (okay, maybe I didn't do me any favours).

Quote from: BOODA on 14 June, 2012, 05:51:36 PM

In my case I decided before opening the PDF's that I'd do the first I opened, weather I liked it or not, because I would have to be able to do the best I could with any script I could be asked to do. Later I realized tons of people had done it and I wished I'd done one of the others.

That's a bloody good reason though.

Bubba Zebill

And it was a struggle because...er...I didn't like the story, just me, nothing to do with th writing, perfectly well written....and I kicked myself when I read the one about the robo-shitter. I've considered doing it...maybe over Christmas this year.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Jon on 14 June, 2012, 05:34:09 PM

Paradoxically, I reckon it's the easier story to draw because of the lower panel count, but it's also the better showcase for skills you'll need in an actual comic career as it has quite a few of the generic elements of most comic book scripts that you'll have to master, particularly the callback and the establishing shot which require you to show an aptitude for visual consistency and continuity between panels.

Kev weldon

Quote from: pauljholden on 14 June, 2012, 04:08:46 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you here, but there's a couple of things:

If this isn't your best / most recent work then you're wasting your time and ours.

If you ever use the phrase "this isn't up to my usual standard" during a portfolio review then, I'm afraid any editor will dismiss you as not being very serious about what you're doing (or, possibly a fantasist - the ONE thing they wont do is think "oh this guy probably draws amazingly well, but, for some reason only bought his rushed artwork with him")

If you don't have enough time to do 6 pages to the best of your ability then do 3 - believe me, 3 amazingly good finished pages are worth any amount of half finished pages.

Sorry if this is coming across as ranty - but I've treated this thread as an actual portfolio review so tend to treat every post/poster as such. (though, actually, honestly, if you'd said that to me in an actual portfolio queue I'd've nodded sagely and waited for you to walk away before rolling my eyes and tsking)

Don't worry, I can take it.

You're right though - this was rushed and not ready to be shown, so I shouldn't have shown it. I hadn't considered posting here to be equivalent to a portfolio review but it still does me no good to put substandard work out there with my name on it.

As it happens I didn't get to have my portfolio seen at Kapow, which is probably for the best (as far as the Dredd stuff goes anyway) as it's better to show a complete work at some later date than an incomplete one sooner. I shall take another crack at it.

Bubba Zebill

Hmm

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Jon on 14 June, 2012, 02:10:29 PMartists and small-press guys here, and see if you can do some work with them. You get to work closely with the writers and really make sure you're both agreeing on what's been put across. The one or two I've worked with so far are especially shit hot and the story-telling side of things, and will really help you get the best out of panel placement, action and making sure you can get the sodding speech bubbles in. And, you know, you get your work seen in the mean time.

Great point. With one email you could begin work on your first published comic, no better way to become a comic artist than to draw comics. Getting paid to do it is another matter - but the creative (and temporal!) demands far out-way financial reward in most cases anyway, so just draw them and do the best you possibly can. One of mine was recently published in Futurequake (21 I think) and I'm now working on a Judge Dredd story for Zarjaz to be published in September, it's a good thing to do.

Also - if you live in a major city you may be able to take class or understudy with an artist. Did I hear David LLoyd is teaching in London ??...A master! He's a brilliant artist....If I lived in London and was just setting in illustration, I'd be over there cleaning brushes.

Jon

Quote from: BOODA on 14 June, 2012, 07:27:34 PM

Also - if you live in a major city you may be able to take class or understudy with an artist. Did I hear David LLoyd is teaching in London ??...A master! He's a brilliant artist....If I lived in London and was just setting in illustration, I'd be over there cleaning brushes.

I think he runs a comic group here in Brighton, or at least used to. Could have been a few years ago. I never managed to get to one.

Danbell

It's called Cartoon County and they meet every week at a pub called the Black Lion. Buy him a Guinnes and you have a friend for life.

Jon

Quote from: Danbell on 14 June, 2012, 09:53:44 PM
It's called Cartoon County and they meet every week at a pub called the Black Lion. Buy him a Guinnes and you have a friend for life.

Ah! There you go! Cheers!

The Black Lion on, er, Black Lion Street?

Bubba Zebill

Why do I now feel like moving to Brighton?...& damn I miss Guinness.
*They meet in a pub!...the name even suggests Indian Ink..it sounds like 'The Black Line'.

Nick Shepherd

Hey guys, sorry to ruin the flow of this conversation but I was wondering if anyone could have a look at the version that I did of pages 2 and 3 and give me some critical feedback.  It would be much appreciated.  Thanks guys!
Forgiveness is a 6 gun. Teach me how to shoot.  The truth is like a moving target.  Forgiveness is a 6 gun!!!

allistermac

Judge Dredd - Cycle Of Violence: Revised Page 3

Whenever I get a free moment, which is not very often, I've been working on revisions to my submission. I've almost completed work on the last 3 pages. I have until Thursday to get everything finished, as I fly to Europe for a 2 month trip. Once I touch down in England I'll get my submission in the mail to 2000 AD.

I have made quite a few changes to the page based on the feedback I received and the page is all the better for it, any further feedback or crits are welcomed.