Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Pretty lovely all the same, but I agree that the lettering is a little flat - why not just draw it?

Also - in terms of recent halls of justice images, you can't go wrong with this Chris Weston one, surely!

Steven Austin

Thanks for the feedback - yeah still a work in progress but i'll get there -  I hate lettering, but think in this case I may well have a bash.

With regards to the Halls of Justice image - that's awesome. However its reference to the Academy of Law I've being seeking. ;)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steven Austin on 12 December, 2012, 10:59:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback - yeah still a work in progress but i'll get there -  I hate lettering, but think in this case I may well have a bash.

Something like this, I'd agree it's definitely better to just draw it. Even on a strip I was drawing and lettering myself, I'd treat text like this as part of the art rather than the lettering.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

simontm

Hi all, can I just ask a question of the pros?

Most of the samples I've seen on this topic show the images leading from right to left - as in boy and dad to the left in the second panel, Dredd on the right.

This leads to the shooting shot of Dredd coming from right to left.

I've always been led to believe that as far as possible the action should lead to the bottom right hand panel as it were to encourage a page turn.

So, shouldn't the positions be reversed to Dredd is essentially shooting off the page rather than into the joining panel on the left?

Or have I been mislead?

Cpt Rhodes

Although tailored to film and video, this link might go some way to explaing why he should be looking into the page and not out of it.

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/editing/transition/reverse-cut.html

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Steven Austin on 12 December, 2012, 10:59:09 AM
With regards to the Halls of Justice image - that's awesome. However its reference to the Academy of Law I've being seeking. ;)

D'oh! Apologies my brain was very much in morning mode. :P

Steven Austin

Yeah, I do agree Jim, i'll sharpen m' pencil and get to it!!

CFM - Academy of Law and Halls of Justice aren't a million miles away from one another, an easy mistake to make - especially with a bed head on.

simontm

Quote from: Alex on 12 December, 2012, 12:01:57 PM
Although tailored to film and video, this link might go some way to explaing why he should be looking into the page and not out of it.

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/editing/transition/reverse-cut.html

sorry I didn't explain myself.

I don't mean that there should be a reverse shot of Dredd on last panel, I meant that should the man and son be on the right in the establishing shot with Dredd on the left so that on the last panel Dredd is shooting off the page not into it?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: simontm on 13 December, 2012, 10:25:36 AM
I don't mean that there should be a reverse shot of Dredd on last panel, I meant that should the man and son be on the right in the establishing shot with Dredd on the left so that on the last panel Dredd is shooting off the page not into it?

Generally speaking, everyone should look inwards towards an imaginary centre-line down the middle of the page in every panel.* There is a school of thought that says the final panel should have someone looking in the direction of the "page out", but I think it would impact the storytelling here and look distinctly like Dredd was firing away from the perp...

Cheers

Jim

*As with all such 'rules', if it damages the storytelling, ignore it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

simontm

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 December, 2012, 10:38:57 AM
Quote from: simontm on 13 December, 2012, 10:25:36 AM

Generally speaking, everyone should look inwards towards an imaginary centre-line down the middle of the page in every panel.* There is a school of thought that says the final panel should have someone looking in the direction of the "page out", but I think it would impact the storytelling here and look distinctly like Dredd was firing away from the perp...

Cheers

Jim

*As with all such 'rules', if it damages the storytelling, ignore it.

Ah, didn't know that one. Always read about arrow flows and the divine ratio.

Cheers

Steven Austin

Ok played with the lettering, tried to draw something a little more exuberant but totally cocked it up so went with a basic style.

Got rid of that black mass on the left of the last image I posted to open the image up a tad plus sorted the background by working into the cityscape more by tightening it up and adding some shading.

Better?

Steven Austin

Well with crimbo out of the way and a few days away from the 9 to 5 I finally managed to get my ass in gear and finish page 2 of the Cycle of Death script, been sitting there pencilled for weeks.

Be good to hear your thoughts!! :)

Karl Stephan

Steven Austin

Thanks Sparko', much appreciated.

kable1001

Re: Sorrow Hill - preview submissions

Dear Good People at 2000ad,

I have prepared a 5-page sequential art submission for review as per your submission guidelines, however I cannot find a postal address to send my pages to, therefore could you kindly assist in providing one ?  If not, I could attend one of the convensions in the north of England, are you schedualed to attend any ?
In the mean time here is the first page from The Sorrow Hill short in its full artifial digitialised glory (I'm an art hard-bound traditionalist by nature).

Kind regards

Mr KS Bell