Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Couple of quick procedural comments:

1) Tharg very rarely employs separate inkers, so he likes to see inked pages, rather than just pencils.

2) You will never be asked to letter your own pages, so don't letter your submissions. In fact, the Mighty One will want to see how your storytelling works without lettering.

QuoteI cannot find a postal address to send my pages to

From the sidebar of the 'Contact Us' page:

QuoteYou should address it to the Submissions Editor, 2000 AD, Riverside House, Osney Mead, Oxford OX2 0ES.

Good luck!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Pauul

Welcome to the board, Kable1001.

Beautiful artwork, but Jim is right of course, it needs to be inked and the lettering is unnecessary.

You're obviously very talented, though.

I'd love to see more of your work.

kable1001

Jim,
I'm glad I didn't find the address or else I would have wrongly sent in pencilled pages for review - so thanks for the 'heads up' on the inked work only advice. I'll look forward to utilising my W&N brushes when I have some spare time (we all know inking is a totally different craft with its own rules compared to pencilling;)). On the other note, the text was applied with PS' so all is not lost.
Again, Many Thanks

Paaul,
Very kind of you to say - I will be sure drop in some sketches when I get use to navigating these fine boards
- All the best

MenschMaschine

kable1001 Jim is right and he and other fine chaps around had spoken about it before cos,surprisingly,nearly everyone tends  to lettering their submission pages. That's an ultimate no-no. I've been doing the portifolio review's circuit for a while and upon these third degrees contact with The Mighty Tharg i know that storytelling is going to be,if not the most important, one of the critical points noticed by the Almighty. The reading must be fluid and clear and ALWAYS moving onwards,between draw cool images that move the story to nowhere only for the sake of it and something simpler that pass the message to the reader easily,stick to the last option. Seems that most of the guys  do feel insecure about the clarity of the stories and then opt by lettering it all to tell the story. If you're feeling insecure on the story's clarity  there is a huge chance that Tharg might notice such unclarity instantly. Is preferable to rework the whole thing thinking on carefully what elements are going to help you out on telling your story and the ones that will not.Once you get famous you can do what the Image founders did on their Marvel time..." to the hell with this storytelling thang, gotta draw some cool shit cos the kids love it"....until there,think on your storytelling and make it a strong point of your art which is promising :)

Steven Austin

Lovely work Mr Bell,

As a fellow artist trying to break into the world of 2000AD I have also had to expand my experience into the realms of inking, something prior to preparing submissions for 2000AD I hadn't explored to any real degree - good luck!!

Jon

Also, and it's a moot point now I guess, but there are quite a lot of typos in your lettering. I'd definitely be careful about that.

Sorry...

Steven Austin

Hi all,

Just finished the pencils for page 3 of the Cycle of Violence - after seeing Mr Bells lovely pencil work it occurred to me that perhaps like myself you like to see pencilled pages  :D

As usual ANY feedback will be well received.

Karl Stephan

I'm giving the 'Generation Killer' script a go and rolled out page 1's pencils today. This time I leaned in favour of more realistic anatomy instead of the highly stylized approach I took with my last attempt. Although, I thought I'd keep the faces more stylized. What do you guys think?

I noticed that Henry Flint started out pretty stylized (even cartoony) on Dredd before gradually going more and more realistic. The Dredd movie prequel is quite far removed from his Nemesis and 90's Dredd strips.

Danbell

Reminds me slightly of Nick Dyers work. Good stuff.

Steven Austin

Ah man lovely work dude. I really like this style, its one that i've always wanted to achieve but never managed it - somewhere between realist and as you say more cartoony, don't lean any closer to realist mate the styles great as it is.

Great poses and some nice depth - especially in the opening panel.

There's an air of Ian Gibson in there, think its in the faces, especially in the face of the female in panel 2.

One criticism for you, the seated figure in panel 4 feels a bit awkward, I think possibly his torso is a little flat as is his right hand - the angles wrong I think.

Lovely work man.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Steven Austin on 13 January, 2013, 12:34:28 PM
Hi all,

Just finished the pencils for page 3 of the Cycle of Violence - after seeing Mr Bells lovely pencil work it occurred to me that perhaps like myself you like to see pencilled pages  :D

I love the fatty in panel four. Seems so... real.
Lock up your spoons!

Steven Austin

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 13 January, 2013, 10:17:40 PM
Quote from: Steven Austin on 13 January, 2013, 12:34:28 PM
Hi all,

I love the fatty in panel four. Seems so... real.

I just googled - 'fatty', loads of reference material out there!! ;)

Thanks man.

Karl Stephan

QuoteReminds me slightly of Nick Dyers work. Good stuff.

This makes my night. Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Quote from: Steven Austin on 13 January, 2013, 09:52:57 PM
One criticism for you, the seated figure in panel 4 feels a bit awkward, I think possibly his torso is a little flat as is his right hand - the angles wrong I think.

You're right there, Steven. I'll get on there before inking. I'm also thinking of revising their clothes. I know McMahon era meg gear is canon, but I have seen some of the newer artists just have everyone dress casually and it really works.

Steven Austin

The dress code is a tricky one - I guess mix it up a bit.

Steven Austin

After a week of dipping in and out of this I have managed to ink page 3 of Cycle of Violence - thought i'd share.