Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Stephan

That looks lovely, Steven. I especially love the shadows in the last few panels. I'm divided on the extra panel thing. It works, but then, as El Chivo said, they want to know if you can follow a brief. all the same I think it's sure to impress :D

Steven Austin

Thanks Sparko - just redrawing the last panel on page five following your feedback, the more I looked at it the more I agree with you and also decided I wasn't happy with the image generally.

Regarding the additional panel perhaps one of the 2000AD crew could elaborate on whether or not I would be marked down for adding an additional panel IF it works.

My last submission, 'PF' was declined but the feedback from Mr Smith was that the story telling and panel layout were good, my downfall was the unrefined inks - and I added around 5 panels to that one, but did explain this in my cover letter, so really not sure.

Steven Austin

Ok so I have redrawn the final panel on page five - as SParky pointed out the original wasn't high enough with regards to angle and also I generally became less and less happy with it.

So here's the amended version.

Frank

Everything about that last panel works better, Steve; the composition especially, but even the balance of tones seems more assured. This is fascinating to watch - thanks for posting.

Steven Austin

Quote from: sauchie on 05 March, 2013, 06:56:19 AM
Everything about that last panel works better, Steve; the composition especially, but even the balance of tones seems more assured. This is fascinating to watch - thanks for posting.

That's great Sauchie, thank you for the feedback, very easy to become lost in the image and not subjective so your feedback is invaluable.
That said I have revisited this image today and am still happy with it which is a good sign, the last attempt at this particular panel, I left, came back and straight felt stirrings of discontentment - Sparkys comments just confirmed what I had already felt.

Thanks again.

Charmz

Greetings! I was ment to show these Sorrow Hill pages at the LSCC portfolio review but because of the conventions mixup I wasn't able to. So before putting these in snail mail to 2000AD offices I thought I'd post them here. Comments and critique all welcome. Cheers!

Jake Lynch

@ArtDroid_Lynch

CrazyFoxMachine

Lynchtastic as always - your strong shadows are breathtaking but blimey would that be a bit of 'mare to colour. Works perfectly in b & w though.

GoldJack

Has anyone tried the script "A tree grows in Elia Kazan"?Its the one sent to me,its challenging to say the least!

GoldJack

Quick question.....when drawing a page do I write in the sound effects or does the letterer add them?

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

pauljholden

Quote from: GoldJack on 18 May, 2013, 07:27:21 PM
Quick question.....when drawing a page do I write in the sound effects or does the letterer add them?

Depends on how good your s/fx are. As a rule: leave em out. (If you get a gig then you can slowly drop them in...)

GoldJack

Thanks just putting prep work in for the submission.

GoldJack

Seen some great work on this thread been going through it all day.So jealous but it hasnt been updated in a few days so ill revive it by asking how much prep work do you guys usually do before getting down to do the final artwork?Im asking because im prepping my sample script and sketched out some of the major characters.Also whos interpretation of mega city one is yourvfavourite?