Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Somehow I managed to miss this, but Tiernen (Absalom, Robbie Burns) Trevallion had a crack at Cycle of Violence and the results are on his website.

Well worth a look.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 September, 2014, 12:32:27 PM
Somehow I managed to miss this, but Tiernen (Absalom, Robbie Burns) Trevallion had a crack at Cycle of Violence and the results are on his website.

Well worth a look.

Cheers

Jim

Blimey, so good!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

staticgirl

A great example of the artist telling more story on top of what is in the script. There's all sorts of little details in there about the characters based on their clothes, the framing devices etc.

RossBam

It's that time again where i'm looking for feedback on my attempt.
This time it's Karn Foul-Eye and here is page one:

RossBam

RossBam

and the last 2

All feedback welcome!!

Jag

Hi, here is my art submission for Judge Dredd, Cycle of Violence, I have a somewhat brisk linework style and tend to lean towards noir at times too.

I would very much appreciate feedback and critique please, I am really open to thoughts and views and ways to improve my artwork.

Thanks

Stu101

Hi Jag,
I don't have any advice cos I aint good enough to give any, but I'm liking some of your panels there, reminded me a little of John Ridgeway. Get on over and play with the art comps if you need inspiration to create (as I do). It's all good fun.

Jag

Thanks for the kind comments Stu101! I not thought of John Ridgeway before but I will check out more of his artwork. I will also have a look at the art comps too, thanks.

Michael Adam Kindred

RossBam and Jag, they both look great, clearly you both put a lot of work into them and you both know what you are doing. I just love looking at all the interpretations of these scripts. I'd been trolling this thread long before I even joined the board-haha. Like you both, I am an illustrator and just finished a submission script too. I am by no means an expert, but I hope that my critiques are helpful and that others will give me the same when the time comes.

RossBam- It's nice to see someone doing a script other than cycle of violence but, especially the Karn one as I just finished up that one as well. I will post it once i get the scans and then everyone can rip me apart! The perspective and composition in your panels is great! In that regard, my only criticism would be with the fact that a lot of your panels have horizontal lines (like brick patterns and the horizon line of the sea) which are parallel to the horizontal lines of the panel frame. I think some angle variation might make things a bit more dynamic. That being said though, it's seems like maybe you came to that conclusion as well as this seems to lessen in the last 2 pages. Also, I feel like it's bit stiff. I really struggle with that when I ink things, it's hard to not just trace (for me) and to keep the life of my pencil sketches. To remedy this, I switched to a brush, but that's just me :) Lastly, great attention to detail,I'm really drawn to works like that.

JAG- Also a great job. I really like the balance of black and white in your work. I especially like this in the panel where Dredd is being rained on. Although, there are a few places where I think this could benefit from some more flushed out backgrounds.  You clearly have an understanding of anatomy but I think that your work could benefit from some fine tuning- I know mine could!

I hope that these criticisms are helpful and that I don't come off as a know-it-all or something-haha.That is not my intention. I'm a struggling free lancer too and by no means a professional and just want to help. I find constructive criticism very helpful but hard to come by so try to dole it out when I feel like I could help.
Like I said, I'll be throwing my stuff up in the coming week and you can both seek your revenge!
All the best with your submissions.

Jag

Michael, thanks for taking the time for the constructive criticism and kind comments. Looking at it again you are quite right I could flesh out the background more which would add more detail to the panels. I think the fine tuning should come in time with practice and hard work. The rain scenes was something I enjoyed a lot for sure. Thanks a lot, really appreciate it and best of luck with your submission!

Michael Adam Kindred

Jag,
my pleasure! Keep up the good work!

Michael Adam Kindred

Here's my attempt at The Colossal Wealth of Karn Foul-eye. I'm sure that there are some places where I should've taken my own advice. Rip me apart guys!
Check out this and more at: michaeladamkindred.com
(I don't know how to make them smaller maybe best veiwed on website)

Jag

Hi Michael, really cool pages. At times the pages are quite energetic and I like when you start experimenting with your inking a bit more in the later pages. As you mentioned before about tightening up anatomy, that will come in time and may be also look at foreshortening too. I feel at times you could add just a bit of extra black to make certain areas and anatomy pop out and more readable. I don't know the script at all but in general everything seems to read fine. The only page which throws me panel wise is page three, I find my eye is having to read downwards rather then left to right but this is just personal taste. Really like the energy you get into your pages, best of luck!

Michael Adam Kindred

Hey Jag,
I totally agree with what you have to say. There are definitely places that would read better with more contrast, especially in my figure drawing or even just to draw the eye there. I agree about page 3 as well, it was a bit of a gamble and in the future I might not make the same decisions. Anatomy will always be a thing-haha.  Thanks for taking the time to check this out and for the feedback!