Main Menu

Journey Planet #39 - Judge Dredd issue! Free!

Started by Mike Carroll, 16 March, 2018, 02:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

Now on-line, totally free and ready for you to download - the Judge Dredd issue of Journey Planet, the Hugo Award-winning fanzine!

Packed with all-new articles on Dredd, the creators that shaped him, features from the folks behind the Dredd fanzines Zarjaz and Sector 13, plus interviews with Patrick Mills, John Wagner, strips, art, reviews, and much much more!

http://journeyplanet.weebly.com/journey-planet/journey-planet-39-judge-dredd

(Note: if you've already downloaded it, this is version 1.1, with a few formatting errors and typos fixed, and a couple of corrections in the "Introduction to Judge Dredd" section! As a bonus, we've also included a feature that was accidentally omitted from the first version: three graphic novel reviews by David Ferguson!)

WhizzBang

This is superb - well done! I do not know what a Hugo award is but this fanzine certainly deserves it.

K2

Richard

Thanks Mike, looks good.

(The Hugos are like the Oscars for science fiction and fantasy. There's a film category but it's mostly for prose.)

Swerty

Richard

WhizzBang

It was great to read the opinions about the 'The Third Person'. So many Dredd strips come out each year and we all think "Yes!", "No!" or "Okay!" about them and then move on to the next but so many do deserve more attention like this.

I now remember this strip form when it was published and afterwards thinking "another cracker from Michael Carroll" but it is great to see the strip appreciated so eloquently by the contributors in Journey Planet 39. I always find the perspectibve of new readers oddly fascinating so Lisa Macklem's thoughts were particularly appreciated.

Judgedreddrocks

Is there a physical copy available to buy anywhere?

Bolt-01

Nope, journey planet is a pdf based fanzine- but there's nothing to stop you from printing your own copy...

Krakajac

Great publication - and as was suggested above by Bolt-01, I printed a reading copy (B & W only, unfortunately).  Now just have to sort out the binding.  Printed double-sided to save on paper - still 50-odd pages!  A nice addition to the collection.

EDIT - actually, I might get the cover printed in colour at some point.  It's a cracker.

Judgedreddrocks

I shall be doing the same.
It's a cracking read!

glassstanley

This is a wonderful read. Thanks to all for the effort.

I think my favourite feature is 'The Evolution of Judge Dredd'. Nice to see the images that link to the text. i hadn't seen the early Ezquerra line drawing on p 32 before.

I did notice on p 38 it says that the split-level structure of Judges/Police was quickly discarded. It actually took 4 years before the police made their final appearance. This was in the last panel of 'Anatomy of a Crime' in the 1982 Judge Dredd Annual (published in '81).

Judgedreddrocks

I ran out of ink printing this off, and the shops were closed so I couldn't buy new cartridges!
☹️☹️☹️