Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

Really enjoyed Fast Food, great stories and art, and some of the most biting (ha) satire to appear in the Dredd canon. Good that Hot Night in 95 has appeared in the collection too.

Now the next two issues are known and most of the 70s, it's the rest of the 60s that are still to be announced. Hard to believe we're into the home straight now, but hopefully the 2000ad collection will become a full run.

Neil C

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 13 May, 2017, 03:44:51 PM
Hard to believe we're into the home straight now
Hachette's Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novel Collection, originally slated for 60 issues, has just been extended yet again to 170.

If JDMC ends at 80, I'll eat my hat.

dweezil2

Quote from: Neil C on 15 May, 2017, 06:19:20 PM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 13 May, 2017, 03:44:51 PM
Hard to believe we're into the home straight now
Hachette's Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novel Collection, originally slated for 60 issues, has just been extended yet again to 170.

If JDMC ends at 80, I'll eat my hat.

If they extend the run, I'll probably have to!!!!  :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

moly

EDazzling

How close to the end of the run do the Marvel books get before extensions happen?

James Stacey

They don't necessarily tell you. You just start getting numbered issues past what you agreed to in the first place to ensure you don't stop at the number they promised.

IndigoPrime

With the Marvel run, was that the case? Didn't they supplement the line with the 'classics' numbering and after complaints give people an opt-out? Judging by the Wiki page, the entire initial 60-book run was done before they continued with volumes, with seemingly the exception of Venom. (This presumably explains why when I bought a complete run of 1–60 on eBay, it oddly came with Venom, #68.)

I'd hope if the Dredd series is profitable enough to continue past 80 books and Rebellion is happy about that, they'd provide a breakpoint at 80 books. If they don't, I think I'd cancel and cherry pick. (I suspect also that the decision on the 2000 AD book run might impact on whether the Dredd series continues. You're somewhat appealing to the same audience, after all.)

Jade Falcon

Well Fast Food was a decent enough volume, a little silly in places but that was the intention after all.  With that title I had wondered if we were going to have the story from Cursed Earth but was more or less resigned to the fact that we won't see that.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

robert_ellis

It would have been inspired to sneak the Burger Wars stories into the back of Fast Food.

Tjm86

Nice little surprise getting in today.  Next two volumes waiting.  Black Museum was never really my cup of tea but it will be interesting to see how it stands up on a re-read.  Brothers of the Blood on the other hand is one of those volumes that shows the strengths of the series.  The art team does help but it also includes some of the stronger non-epic writing to back it up.  The repro stands up well to boot, including on Return of Rico.

Apestrife

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 May, 2017, 05:27:15 PM
Nice little surprise getting in today.  Next two volumes waiting.  Black Museum was never really my cup of tea but it will be interesting to see how it stands up on a re-read.

Is the Rising Angel story included :)

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 May, 2017, 05:27:15 PMBrothers of the Blood on the other hand is one of those volumes that shows the strengths of the series.  The art team does help but it also includes some of the stronger non-epic writing to back it up.  The repro stands up well to boot, including on Return of Rico.

Hope you don't mind me asking. What stories are included in the volume :) ?

IndigoPrime

Return of Rico
Blood Cadets
Sector House
Leaving Rowdy
The End of the Affair (oddly, despite this being in the original BOTB collection)
The Satanist
Brothers of the Blood
Class of '79
Night School
Fifty-Year Man
Six covers
Substantial Molcher essay

IndigoPrime

And Black Museum is:

The Wages of Crime
Headshots
Ruddler's Cuddlers
Burn
Message Inside Reads
Tastes Like Chicken
Feeders and Eaters
God or Gamblers
Shades of Grue
Apres Moy, la Deluge
Short Fuse
Build a Better Mousetrap
The Incredible Teatime Torture Show
Who Do The Voodoo That You Do?
Rat Runs
The Shadow Over James Block
Heart of Iron
Dead Man's Gum
Purgation
A Judge's First Duty
The Invisible Bullet
Slay It With Flowers
The Unfortunate Case Of High-Altitude Albert
Scouting for Bots
The Girl with the Gila Munja Tattoo
Four-page Molcher text feature

Richard

Molcher, as I already have all of the stories in Brothers of the Blood and therefore won't be buying it, is there any chance that (after it's no longer on sale in shops) you could post that essay on the forum somewhere?

Apestrife

Thank you IndigoPrime, really looking forward reading these. Some I haven't read (especially the black museum stories)

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 May, 2017, 07:29:17 PM
The End of the Affair (oddly, despite this being in the original BOTB collection)

Feels a bit out of place?

I wonder how The satanist reads without Blood and duty (which can be found in the America book).

Wonder if the Eastmeg Vienna abduction story (hinted at in the Total War book) and The forsaken (Said to show up in the collection, and one I really hoped would end Brothers of the blood) will show up elsewhere in the collection.