Main Menu

Batman: Arkham City

Started by Goaty, 26 September, 2011, 12:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 19 October, 2011, 06:55:41 PM
I really, really hate the visual style of this series - one of the main reasons I haven't picked up either game yet.

Even the DKR and 90s animated style Batmans look a bit silly when put through that weird, Unreal/steroidal filter.

I know what you mean, I'm not a big fan of the character models (I quite like the Blue/Grey one above though - looks a bit like Bisley's Batman from Judgement on Gotham).
The ugly models are more than made up for in the animations and voice acting though - they really bring the characters to life.

Goaty

Got the game, but away this weekend, so play it on Monday! :( but got Batman Year One batsuit! nice!

JamesC

Played a few hours of this yesterday and I have to say it's absolutely fantastic. The voice acting and story are superb.
Also, you start off with most of your gadgets right from the beginning and you feel like Batman straight away.

mogzilla

finished the main story at 2:30 this morning! didnt get any suits tho whats the criteria for unlocking them?

gonna track down arkham asylum tomoz!

didnt expect major spoiler below

[spoiler]joker to actually die! watche all the looong credits to expect a twist but got a haunting song from jokes to bats[/spoiler]

as ive posted to all on live give the spidey games to rocksteady! played edge of time and got bored after anti venom ...

edit! a new dredd game by these guys would be arsom!

GordonR

Quoteas ive posted to all on live give the spidey games to rocksteady! played edge of time and got bored after anti venom ...

Rocksteady are owned by Warner Bros (they bought the studio after the success of Arkham Asylum). WB own DC, and hence own Batman. There's no way in hell they would want to use their company resources to service the IP of a rival's flagship comic character. (And for the same reason, there's no way Disney-Marvel would let their main rivals handle one of their flagship characters.)

Quoteedit! a new dredd game by these guys would be arsom!

True. But that won't happen either, I'm afraid, for similar (if lesser) reasons.

Goaty

Yeah but could be nice if they did Judge batsuit, so you would play the game with Judge uniform, but with grabbers etc!

JamesC

I've heard that Paul Dini has said he would be interested in scripting a Superman game.
Could be interesting if they can get the feel of the character as spot-on as they have with Batman.

One of the main problems in Super Hero games is getting the power level of the main protagonist balanced correctly - there's nothing more frustrating than taking on the guise of Spidey or Hulk only to get killed by a couple of street punks. I hate those Spidey games where you deck a thug about 4 times before he stops getting up again!

I'd definitely be interested in a Superman game with a nice bit of cosmic/spacey stuff or even some against the clock challenges - racing around the world stopping disasters. 

radiator

QuoteI know what you mean, I'm not a big fan of the character models (I quite like the Blue/Grey one above though - looks a bit like Bisley's Batman from Judgement on Gotham).
The ugly models are more than made up for in the animations and voice acting though - they really bring the characters to life.

I'm just imagining what this game would look like if someone like Darwyn Cooke or Frank Miller were in charge of art direction....

Shame that most gamers have such a conservative taste in visuals we end up with this bland, ugly, semi-realistic, musclebound aesthetic.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Goaty on 19 October, 2011, 05:18:33 PM

Oooh some DLC for the game, got different Batman Costumes!  Would like that Batman Beyond one or Animated Series!

that second one is rather, erm, generously proportioned. Has he got Robin stuffed down his shirt? Or has he just been on the bat-cookies again?

Goaty

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 October, 2011, 04:49:05 PM
that second one is rather, erm, generously proportioned. Has he got Robin stuffed down his shirt? Or has he just been on the bat-cookies again?

Yes 2nd one is The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller with middle-aged Batman.

Goaty

Just finally play this game, ooh nice opening, as just join the A line, now saw Black Mask and Dr Strange! :-)

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 24 October, 2011, 11:08:31 AM
Shame that most gamers have such a conservative taste in visuals we end up with this bland, ugly, semi-realistic, musclebound aesthetic.
Couldn't agree more with this sentiment, but Arkham Asylum seems an odd one to single out. Unless it's simply the comics connection.

Thought the first game was fantastic (amazing how much a good storyline can add to a game) and will definitely be getting this at some point although I am slightly wary that expanding the size of the environment significantly will be a misstep in the same way it was in San Andreas.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

A Frank Miller game in 2011 would look ugly as shit.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

mogzilla

Quote from: GordonR on 23 October, 2011, 09:40:53 PM
Quoteas ive posted to all on live give the spidey games to rocksteady! played edge of time and got bored after anti venom ...

Rocksteady are owned by Warner Bros (they bought the studio after the success of Arkham Asylum). WB own DC, and hence own Batman. There's no way in hell they would want to use their company resources to service the IP of a rival's flagship comic character. (And for the same reason, there's no way Disney-Marvel would let their main rivals handle one of their flagship characters.)

Quoteedit! a new dredd game by these guys would be arsom!

True. But that won't happen either, I'm afraid, for similar (if lesser) reasons.

hey, we can dream! ;)

Banners

Quote from: radiator

The writing on most games, especially the dialogue, is atrocious. A lot of games seemed to be aimed at me - but when I was twelve.