Main Menu

Nintendo 3DS - anyone got one?

Started by shaolin_monkey, 13 May, 2012, 11:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

I love my 3DS! It's a great pice of kit.  I've been a fan of 3D gaming ever since that Tomytronic binoculars Tron rip-off, so getting this was a no-brainer. The 3D effect makes everyone I show it to do a double-take.  It's quite something!

Although the AAA titles are a little sparse, there's good stuff to be had, like StarFox, Resi Evil, Kid Icarus and Ghost Recon (that last is a surprisingly good strategy title!).

What really impresses me though are the things it came pre-loaded with, and the stuff that came free via the Nintendo eshop. The Streetpass Quest works like a dream, going on a quest with avatars of 3DS users you pass in the street.  Also, the augmented reality card and games are quite an eye-opener.  You also get the free video app which shows cartoon/animation shorts, and adverts for upcoming 3D cinema releases etc.

Perhaps my favourites are Letterbox (free) and Colors 3D (about a fiver from the eshop). My online gaming chums and I have spent many a happy hour doing 3D scribbles and paintings, and then mailing them to each other via Letterbox. 

In fact, if anyone is interested, I did my own version of Dredd and the Big Meg in 3D, and also 3D-ified that classic Bolland Dark Judges 2000AD cover.  If you have a 3DS give me a shout and we can exchange Friend Codes!

So yeah, anyone got one?  What are your impressions?

Tiplodocus

Pretty much ditto.

I thought Streetpass would be a waste of time but have become suprisingly hooked on beating the quest and getting new hats and collecting the 3D pictures.

I really enjoyed playing Ocarina of Time (to the end, on my own) in 3D as well.

I might pick up Colors 3D. But they really do need to re-think the business model. I resent having to pay a fiver for stuff from eshop that would be 69p on Android or iPhone. And it's worse if it's a full price £30 game that you don't like.

I downloaded lots of 2000AD images and covers (and a load of Star Trek*) pictures so they scroll through as background whenever I'm playing music.

* OK and some Kelly Brook.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

I take our point about the price of apps, but I was prepared to pay the extra for Colors 3D, 'cos no other device has a 3D drawing app!  I love it - I did a 3D replica of Van Gogh's Starry Night which went straight into 'this weeks best' in the Gallery.

Which was nice.

Buddy

Satanist

Got one and loved it but only chance I get to play is on the bus to/from work. Thats the only time I really get to read as well so been neglecting it lately. Streetpass is a great wee thing.

Lookin forward to Ghost Recon though, saving it for when I go my hols. And need to finish Mario & Resident Evil which are both brilliant.

And start Zelda which I have also never finished Tips even though I played it on N64 and Gamecube.

And I want Mario Kart & Starfox. Need to start doing the lottery or invent something really good.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

shaolin_monkey

Below is a link to the pictures I've done on Colors 3D:

http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=40146

The problem is, this website obviously can't show you the 3D - you can only see that if viewing them on a 3DS.  It's a pity, as the Dark Judges, the Van Gogh and the Vader one look particularly good in 3D. 

shaolin_monkey

Heroes of Ruin is available on the eShop as a playable demo.  Multiplayer Torchlight in 3D?  yes please!

shaolin_monkey

So I bought Heroes of Ruin.  Such a lot of fun!  Think low budget Diablo.  Graphics are slightly last-gen, but 3D works well, dungeons are well designed, plenty of loot, quests etc. 

The multiplayer is incredbly slick!  You can jump in and out of games so easily, and if you leave your world open up to three people can come in and out.  I had several players and classes join me in the first few missions last night.

It's weird, 'cos Nintendo have been really prissy about Internet communication in the past, yet this game allows anyone to drop in and out, there are no age restrictions or friend code barriers, and it even has voice!

Great game.  If you have a 3DS you need to add this to your collection if you enjoy a good dungeon crawl.

Apestrife

I got one since the release. Great console, and I like the fact it's just getting better and better.

Especially as some of you pointed out, the internet functionality is slowly but steady getting really good. Colors 3D and pullblox especially. Love those.

The retail ones I got are RE REV, Mario Land 3D, Mario Kart 7, Zelda OOT 3D and Kid Icarus. Lovely games, especially Kid Icarus. The way to control the game is a bit exotic (it can play it with "regular" controls if needed) but when I got a hang of it I can't stop using it.

I'd really wish they'd release a port of Killer7 and Zelda Majoras Mask. If they'd announce those it'd be sleepless nights for me till they where released, wouldn't be able to sleep with happy salty tears in my eyes :)

Will probably upgrade to a XL in the end of the month. I just need to get around the colors, I'd really love a white o black one :)

shigatsu

I got one a few weeks ago and am unsure whether I like it... I think the home screen looks pretty cool in 3D but I keep switching back to 2D when actually playing games because it feels weird! I think when I get used to it I'll like it though.
Wow, this topic's old - I'm so behind the times!

Zappanalé

Imported a game called 999- it's actually for the DS, but a 3DS sequel just came out.

It's a decent puzzle game that's not unlike those "escape the room" types that got spread around the internet a few years back, mixed with 10 minute cutscenes. This sounded shit to me at first, but the puzzle are good, and the storyline actually interesting, which saves it.

shaolin_monkey

Anyone got the new Castlevania? It's had mixed reviews, but I'm enjoying it. The 3D is awesome!

I've hopefully got Luigu's Mansion and Monster Hunter Ultimate in the post too, both of which are getting great reviews.

WhizzBang

I have got one and agree with what has been said about Street Pass etc. Super Mario Land 3D is probably the easiest Mario game ever but once you complete it loads of special stages open up which are a bit more of a challenge.

Bolt-01

I've got one and think it is the biz. Mind you, it is pretty much just a pokemon machine for me.

Trout

My daughter just got one of these. It was her seventh birthday yesterday and, according to the log in the 3DS, we played Mario 3D for seven hours and 52 minutes. That's definitely a thumbs-up, if a little unhealthy.

I went through it last night and set parental controls for pretty much everything.  :)