Main Menu

Wondering about the Dredd TV series

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 30 June, 2019, 01:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Anyone heard anything about it yet? It seems to be in limbo a tad, or maybe it's just me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Woolly

I'd imagine it's going through standard production at the moment: Budgeting the scripts, storyboarding, casting, etc.
Give it a year, we should know more by then :)

Steve Green

Last mention I saw from end of May from Jason's twitter feed in response to a question about it.

"No official announcements to make, but loads of words being written."

Steve Green

The other official announcement was that the first thing being filmed at the studios and on location was 'School's Out'

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/judge-dredd-rebellion-schools-out-forever-adaptation-1203246298/

JayzusB.Christ

Cheers guys. I like the sound of School's Out Forever - never read the book but it sounds a bit like Kids Rule OK, which is a Good Thing.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Steve Green

You're welcome - San Diego Comic Con is in a couple of weeks, maybe there'll be an update on various projects then.

sheridan

Personally I'd prefer that Rebellion cut it's film/TV production chops on something else before moving on to JD:MC1.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sheridan on 02 July, 2019, 01:38:48 PM
Personally I'd prefer that Rebellion cut it's film/TV production chops on something else before moving on to JD:MC1.

They are: Schools Out Forever is scheduled to shoot.

sheridan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 July, 2019, 08:10:57 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 02 July, 2019, 01:38:48 PM

Yes, I know - and I prefer that.
They are: Schools Out Forever is scheduled to shoot.

metalmarc

Fingers crossed for anything on Dredd day/month in Sept.

A cast announcement even if it's just one actor, or more concept art or news if it's going into preproduction in 2020, anything at all really.

Difference was when 2012 Dredd was released they were hoping enough time had passed for people, the general public had enough time to forget Sylvester "Removes his Helmet" Stallone.

This time around it will be not far from Ten years away by the time everything is done and on our TV screens but NO ONE wants to forget about Karl "Dredd" Urban. They should really strike while the Iron is hot that's why it's a shame it's not on our screens already, whilst you have the public interest and while it's still in their minds fresh that's when you should capitalise on getting the next thing going, it's only a shame the distance between wanting a sequel & not getting it & thinking about a TV show took so long.

My biggest Fear is what if by the time the TV show is aired no one cares enough even if it's really good cos they are too busy with Disney plus with all their Star Wars and Marvel Shows Etc? to add yet another Comic book show into their lives? So 3 seasons & then it's cancelled 😑

But at the same time we don't want it rushed and it turns into a disaster.

Thinking of Blade Runner - another Classic that built up a huge Cult following on home release, so when the Sequel came out I expected it to do gang busters at the box office, it did not.

wedgeski

Quote from: metalmarc on 04 July, 2019, 07:24:01 AM
Fingers crossed for anything on Dredd day/month in Sept.

A cast announcement even if it's just one actor, or more concept art or news if it's going into preproduction in 2020, anything at all really.

Difference was when 2012 Dredd was released they were hoping enough time had passed for people, the general public had enough time to forget Sylvester "Removes his Helmet" Stallone.

This time around it will be not far from Ten years away by the time everything is done and on our TV screens but NO ONE wants to forget about Karl "Dredd" Urban. They should really strike while the Iron is hot that's why it's a shame it's not on our screens already, whilst you have the public interest and while it's still in their minds fresh that's when you should capitalise on getting the next thing going, it's only a shame the distance between wanting a sequel & not getting it & thinking about a TV show took so long.

My biggest Fear is what if by the time the TV show is aired no one cares enough even if it's really good cos they are too busy with Disney plus with all their Star Wars and Marvel Shows Etc? to add yet another Comic book show into their lives? So 3 seasons & then it's cancelled 😑

But at the same time we don't want it rushed and it turns into a disaster.

Thinking of Blade Runner - another Classic that built up a huge Cult following on home release, so when the Sequel came out I expected it to do gang busters at the box office, it did not.
Three seasons and then it's cancelled will be fine with me!

It sounds strange to say it, but I don't need the thing to hobble on for 10 years before petering out. A few very high-quality seasons will do just fine (as long as Rebellion makes decent returns, ofc). I'll stream it, I'll buy the Blu-Rays, I'll buy the special editions, I'll buy the merchandise, but the starting point is it *must be good*!

Richard

I'd be delighted with three seasons. The Walking Dead was good for three years, and then it got boring.

BPP

In streaming-land all you get is 3 seasons because you don't get any new subscribers after season 1 / 2.

Poor The Tick...
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

Rumour has it you get three seasons on Netflix because after that point the contracts change, meaning less cash for Netflix and more for the people making the content.

JOE SOAP

NETFLIX are inevitably pulling back on the splurge and changing their approach toward niche content.

Netflix content chief Ted Sarandos told several of his high-ranking TV and film executives in early June that the company had to be more picky with its spending on big budget productions. Any upcoming projects need to bring in large numbers of viewers, and will no longer be able to float by due to being loved by critics or earning the company more credibility. One example Sarandos gave of a "no-go" for the future was Triple Frontier, an action drama starring Ben Affleck that cost $115 million and flopped.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/01/netflix-will-be-more-picky-with-big-budget-projects/