Main Menu

Weekly Comics, Monthly! - Hawkmonger & my new 2000 AD related comic Podcast

Started by The Adventurer, 22 June, 2015, 03:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

Hawkmumbler

Wow, listening back my comments about Gordon Rennie where not only exaggerated but also very mean spirited. That's it, no more booze during recording! My profound apologise to all listeners and particularly to Rennie.

GordonR

That's okay.  In compensation, though, you could make a stab at pronouncing my surname properly.  I am not - as your American co-host (and you following his lead) seem to think - a French café owner from Allo Allo.

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 04 August, 2015, 06:38:05 PM
Wow, listening back my comments about Gordon Rennie where not only exaggerated but also very mean spirited.

Just what's needed in a comics podcast — another round of Rennie-bashing.  ::)

Quote from: The AdventurerHow is it pronounced? 'Ren-ee'?

The capacity of comics fans to mispronounce words whose pronunciation is both obvious and easily deduced from their spelling never ceases to amaze me...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Adventurer

QuoteJust what's needed in a comics podcast — another round of Rennie-bashing.

I don't think we were too harsh. We were positively gushing about there being two fantastic Rennie strips in the prog at the moment. And a rather okay one in the Meg. Jeagir got my 'strip of the month' nod too.

I've just been disappointed there was never a tieing up of loose ends to Cabs.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 August, 2015, 02:26:48 PM
I don't think we were too harsh.

I think my post may have come across rather less light-heartedly than I intended, for which I will apologise. I haven't listened to your podcast, and I wasn't intending to criticise you as much as I was trying to point out that another podcast whose name I shall not mention has the market in Rennie-bile more or less cornered.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

I see. When I made my initial remarks in the second episode where intended to explain why, for a time, Mr. Rennie stepped away from the comic industry. Or at least to the best of my understanding. A certain remark I made most certainly came off harsher than was intended, most likely due to myself having drank a few before recording. A huge error of judgement that I shan't allow to happen again.

In regards to my pronunciation of Gordon's surname, I do apologise, as (at least in my case) my mental disability often impairs my ability to prounounce things as they should.

The Adventurer

The Adventurer

Okay gang, Weekly Comics, Monthly is back and this episode we are exclusively 2000 AD related as we try a new show format. Next episode will be about Weekly Shonen Jump, and then the episode after will be 2000 AD, and so on and so forth.

WEEKLY COMICS, MONTHLY! - Episode 03

East and West collide in WEEKLY COMICS, MONTHLY! Every month hosts Jim & Zac chat about the last month's worth of two of the premier weekly serial anthology comics in the world, 2000 AD and Weekly Shonen Jump!

This episode we introduce a new format to the show, were each episode is focused on one title or the other. This episode we take a look at 2000 AD and its sister title the Judge Dredd Megazine. In Judge Dredd fallen Wally Squad Judge Aimee Nixon takes her revenge on Mega-City One. In Absalom, Harry Absalom recruits new allies to his cause. In Outlier, Caul meets his makers. In Helium, high flying adventures. And in Jaegir, Kapiten-Inspector Atalia gets caught in a Souther trap. Meanwhile in the Megazine, Judge Dredd works to uncover the secrets of El Maldito, Demon Nic is at the mercy of Sister Mercy, Brit-City Psi Judge Lillian Storm does... something? in Storm Warning, and Colonial Marshal Lawson tries to unravel who's trying to kill who in Lawless. Also, we take a look at the twisted nature of Si Spurrier's The Vort reprint.

Also this episode we talk about Zenith Phase 1, Fables 150, and Savage Dragon Archives 2.

TIMESTAMPS
00:01:48 – INTRODUCTION
00:14:01 – 2000 AD PROGS 1939 – 1942
00:57:49 – JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE 362
01:27:08 – THE VORT
01:41:46 – ZENITH PHASE 1
01:48:18 – FABLES 150
01:53: 16 – SAVAGE DRAGON ARCHIVES 2

The Adventurer

Only about a month late (my fault entirely, I've been sitting on the finished episode for weeks without posting it for god knows why. I promise the next episode will be more prompt) but here's the latest episode of Weekly Comics, Monthly! (2000 AD Edition)

WEEKLY COMICS, MONTHLY! - Episode 05 (2000AD Edition)

East and West collide in WEEKLY COMICS, MONTHLY! Every month hosts Jim & Zac chat about the last month's worth of two of the premier weekly serial anthology comics in the world, 2000 AD and Weekly Shonen Jump!

Set your thrill receptors on maximum as the bombastic conclusions to Jegeir, Helium, and the latest Judge Dredd epic arrive as we continue our march to Prog 1950. But before the jumping on extravaganza, we're greeted by two spooky new thrills. First up, direct from the pages of the 2000 AD 2014 Winter Special  the supernatural sci-fi stylings of the The Alienist returns and then take a trip back to the home dimensions of Judge Death in  Dreams of Deadworld. Meanwhile over in the Judge Dredd Megazine more western style adventures in Judge Dredd, things take a turn for the religious in Lawless, Mercy gets some help for Demon Nic, and witness the half-life of a ghost in Storm Warning. All that and the epic cliffhanger conclusion to Lobster Random!

If you have any quesions or suggestions for the show, please contact us at WEEKLYCOMICSMONTHLY@GMAIL.COM

TIMESTAMPS
00:08 - Introductions
08:55 - 2000 AD Progs 1943 -1947
01:03:45  - Judge Dredd Megazine 363
01:25:42 - Lobster Random/Go-Machine Reprint
01:54:15 - Guardians 3000
02:04:26 - Corto Maltese

Direct Link to Episode MP3

Colin YNWA

Glad this has popped up - really need to catch up with these after really enjoying the first two... if only there was more decorating to be done.

Hawkmumbler

Once again, thanks to Jim for editing all this together and taking the our out of his life to listen to me ramble about my walk on dark judge theories and rude interruption from tea demanding relatives. Apparently I didn't know it was time for TEA!

And of course thanks to Colin and all other listeners, weather you listen on release or not. :)

Hawkmumbler

Well Jim and I have decided to put WCM on hold until the new year so we can test out a new format and allow for both of us to just get some affairs in order.

However, i'm free a few times a week and happy to record a mini episode of sorts with anyone willing to lend a hand. Weather it be from the house of Tharg, the Jump or just general comic geekery i'd be more than up for it. :)

Once i've found some decent recording software.