Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 June, 2018, 10:24:00 PM
Hope those #Remake producers are listening to the fans and not the SJW/MARXIST/WOKE/CUCK/DICK-KNOCKERS. Tru-Fans have it sorted.

Here's How Disney Can Fix Episode IX! - Saving Star Wars

Got as far as SPLIT EP.IX INTO 2 MOVIES*, then realised - just by clicking on this one fucking video - my Youtube recommendations are going to be full of witless HOW DISNEY KILLED STAR WARS rants for months.

This is Jordan Peterson all over again.

* Great idea! What the world needs is more Star Wars.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 25 June, 2018, 10:54:26 PMThis is Jordan Peterson all over again.

Well he does sound uncannily like Yoda; Yoda on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Link Prime

Some of the shite you lot make me Google...the world has gone absolutely bonkers.

Anyway, is there anyone out there on the WWW that genuinely believes a remake would even be entertained as an idea?
My irony radar is in a shambles after years of reading posts from Prof Bear.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 June, 2018, 09:55:45 AM
My irony radar is in a shambles after years of reading posts from Prof Bear.

Ditto.

Professor Bear

It's not my fault that Batman & Robin is an objectively good film.

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 June, 2018, 09:55:45 AMAnyway, is there anyone out there on the WWW that genuinely believes a remake would even be entertained as an idea?

Yes, just not right now, or in the immediate future.

See, I still suspect that at some point, Disney will remake the Prequels.  It's the obvious endgame of years of "the Prequels were badly made" astroturfing and Disney's penchant for wringing every last dime out of previously successful films (tangentially, before they bought FOX, it might even have been a away around not having full control of the movies made prior to TFA).
Once you accept that remake as a possibility, why wouldn't they keep going and eventually remake the rest?  Seems like the best way to capitalise on a property when spin-off films are a crapshoot, though obviously you'd be talking years down the line here - decades, even - and a completely new cast (although if Hamill is still knocking about, there's zero chance of him not doing a voice cameo).

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 26 June, 2018, 12:34:45 PM
See, I still suspect that at some point, Disney will remake the Prequels.

I believe that too but like I've suggested before, since the announcement of Rogue One and more Prequel spin-offs, they've more or less been doing that anyway and giving the fans the service they've always wanted to see – Vader hacking his way through the galaxy etc. and even Lucas himself to some extent began remaking the Prequels by revisiting and redoing Prequel scenes and themes in The Clone Wars but with better writers.

The comics have been doing alternative versions of storylines for years (and the whole EU has always been an alternate Star Wars with its multiple levels of canon that George Lucas chose to ignore when he felt like it) so if anything like that ever becomes feasible on a larger scale, they'll probably do it. I don't personally have anything against that type of thing some way down the pipe.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 June, 2018, 09:55:45 AM
Anyway, is there anyone out there on the WWW that genuinely believes a remake would even be entertained as an idea?

Not if they have a clue.

JOE SOAP

It's not my fault that Batman & Robin is an objectively good film.

>noted for gravestone inscription<

Professor Bear

I was vindicated the moment nerds started jizzing their knickers over Brave and the Bold episodes.

sheridan

See, I still suspect that at some point, Disney will remake the Prequels.  It's the obvious endgame of years of "the Prequels were badly made" astroturfing and Disney's penchant for wringing every last dime out of previously successful films (tangentially, before they bought FOX, it might even have been a away around not having full control of the movies made prior to TFA).

Having looked up what 'astroturfing' means (in this context: "the deceptive practice of presenting an orchestrated marketing or public relations campaign in the guise of unsolicited comments from members of the public.") and having been around when the prequels were released, there were always unsolicited comments from the general public that they were not well-made at the time that they were coming out...

Professor Bear

I wasn't actually suggesting the idea that "the Prequels were bad films" was new, I was pointing out that a lot of professional opinion writers all seemed to come up with the same idea in the same recent space of time that the PT was actually artistically significant and beloved by many despite its flaws, a notion that was marginal - to say the least - before Disney owned the property, but is now the critical consensus.

I, Cosh

I guess it's also possible that the five year olds who loved the prequels are more likely to post on the internet (or get paid to write opinion pieces) in 2018 than they were in 1997.

I watched the start of Last Jedi for the second time on a plane at the weekend but turned it off when Finn woke up. Slightly disappointed that it's not showing at any of the outdoor summer cinema events this year, but Do the Right Thing is a more than adequate substitute.
We never really die.

wedgeski

Quote from: Professor Bear on 04 July, 2018, 10:11:54 AM
I wasn't actually suggesting the idea that "the Prequels were bad films" was new, I was pointing out that a lot of professional opinion writers all seemed to come up with the same idea in the same recent space of time that the PT was actually artistically significant and beloved by many despite its flaws, a notion that was marginal - to say the least - before Disney owned the property, but is now the critical consensus.
I certainly enjoyed them at the time, despite their obvious flaws, enough to buy the DVD's on day 1 even. And there is a helluva lot to like: they were a CGI-soaked spectacle of sci-fantasy that hadn't really been seen before.

I forgave TPM all its flaws *just* because of the jaw-dropping three-way saber fight at the end. Clones had a last act of epic Jedi warfare. Revenge... well, it had, erm, that quite good Order 66 bit... and the fight between Yoda and Sidious was kinda cool... but then Franken-Vader actually made me snort with laughter in the theatre...so, on the whole, not sure why I was so eager to add that one to my collection (let's say "completeness").

Nowadays, I can *maybe* watch TPM, but probably won't ever watch the other two again. The spectacle has been far surpassed, and what's left is basically awful.

All of which is why I loved TFA so much. Plenty of typically Abrams-ish plot failings, but it had everything Star Wars, and was written and directed by people who hadn't inexplicably forgotten their craft.

TLJ, not so much. Plenty to like, but a bizarre throwing-out of the all the questions asked by TFA, and an inexplicable, half-ass reset of the story. Episode 8 exited without addressing the mysteries of Snoke, Rey's heritage (I don't buy Kylo's jab), why Luke's light-saber ended up where it did, or how the First Order came into being. How did they fail so massively?

Dandontdare

Quote from: wedgeski on 05 July, 2018, 09:36:44 AMthe mysteries of Snoke, Rey's heritage (I don't buy Kylo's jab)

I don't see any mystery in Snoke - Palaptine and Vader are dead so another Sith lord steps up to take power. I'm sure there's more that could be told about his background, but I didn't feel it was necessary for the purposes of the plot.

Rey's "ordinary" background is central to the major theme of the movie - anyone can use the force, you don't have to be descended from a master or to be anyone special.

Tiplodocus

Similarly I was never thinking there was any mystery to Snoke. He's the chief bad guy, leader of the First Order.

By the time the original trilogy ended, if you go only what is in the films, we knew Absolutely fuck all about the back stories of the Emperor, Boba Fett, Yoda, or Chewbacca.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!