Main Menu

Prog 2076 - Divide + Conquer!

Started by Magnetica, 07 April, 2018, 08:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

We get a new Dredd thriller by TG Eglington and Staz Johnson. The Sons of Booth are back. Will have to see how this develops.

Jaegir is firing on all cylinders. Just loved the robot who has a bit of a K-2SO feel to him. The bit were [spoiler]they chuck him out of the hoppa craft[/spoiler] is just LOL.

Sinister Dexter - yeah just great. But there is  some massive continuity errors going on in this episode. Just look at the arrangement of the cups and plates on the table between page 1 panels 1 and 2, and by panel 5 they have disappeared altogether. Plus the position of the third chair changes in panel 5. Just the sort of thing my wife loves to notice when we watch TV. It seems odd, having listened to the recent Thrillcast which explained the lengths Steve Yeowell went to in  the Prog 2073 story to get this sort of thing correct.

Anderson carries on as before. Its ok, nothing spectacular. And I definitely prefer David Roach's black and white art.

Strontium Dog great story, but for me its let down just a little by the art not quite being Carlos' best.

To finish there is a letters page, with a couple of letters echoing what seems to be a widely held opinion that the stories since 2073 have been great, if what immediately preceded that wasn't to everyone's taste.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the Prog this week.

SIP

Would have to say that Carlos and John on strontium dog is absolutely what is keeping me buying the prog at this point.

sheridan

I'm liking the art on Strontium Dog - it just looks like the resolution isn't as high as normal - as if he's drawing on boards half the size he usually does.

Fungus

Carlos' art is fine for me... arguably it's ongoing development of his style, if you look at his scratchier Starlord and Battle art. It's so consummately skilful I might prefer it to Apocalyse War Carlos which is quite a thought.

Isn't it great that it's so utterly recognisable but still changes?

And the colouring needs mentioned. Its minimalism is incredible, but works. I've reread pages just to confirm what he's done; it's a few digital dabs and spots and... just works. Masterful.

CalHab

Cam Kennedy's tribute to Jim Baikie on the letters page is very touching.

Buttonman

Quote from: Magnetica on 07 April, 2018, 08:59:30 PM

To finish there is a letters page, with a couple of letters echoing what seems to be a widely held opinion that the stories since 2073 have been great, if what immediately preceded that wasn't to everyone's taste.

I saw that - one especially was very articulate and perceptive.

It was me (what, you guessed?) first since way back in Prog 2020. Got the fever again. The letters fever!

Colin YNWA

Back from a parent run this weekend and back into the loving arms of the Prog.

Almost as we were except... well Anderson left me a little lost again this time. First they seem to be falling down a road cave in, then they're at the side, then I think the Undercity buildings all explode, then Anderson is reading a bit of paper, then Karyn freaks, BUT its not her who is the horrid beastie, its a whole bunch of new horrid beasties then NINJA JUDGE - who seemingly randomly sliced a flying dragon beastie in half earlier when talking to Hershey - huh, what TOO MUCH. Okay everyone slow down, take it easy there's no need to pack quite so much in each episode! Oh and the colouring felt a little flat to me, quite Baxter paper if you know what I mean?

Anyway speaking of colouring I know John Charles has recieved much praise here for how he's handling the Mighty Yeowell's colour on Sinister Dexter but having seen the black and white work pages over on Facebook I kinda wish it'd been left. I think John Charles does as good a job as he could but it feels a little like he's drowning out some of the careful toning on the original pages, or adding too much. Still relatively small complaint on a smacking episode. I love S&D at the best of time but at the moment its out the park!

No problems with the colours elsewhere but isn't it weird Carlos is the only one colouring his own stuff at the moment. Only just noticed that.

Anyway Dredd is a good opener, very glad to see this storyline back, Jaegir is fantastic and enjoying the way Strontium Dog is developing.

Top proggage.

Trout

Quote from: CalHab on 08 April, 2018, 10:43:14 AM
Cam Kennedy's tribute to Jim Baikie on the letters page is very touching.

Yeah, it's great. A nice thing to do.

(Great prog, especially Stront and Jaegir.)

wedgeski

Great prog, no doubt, but Anderson is just unfathomable at the mo. A careful re-read might do the trick.

sheridan

My vote for top thrill this prog is the touching tribute to Jim by Cam - thanks, Cam.

broodblik

Must say that all the strips are great except maybe Anderson. It reads for me like I have been dropped in the middle of something and I am not sure who the real enemy is.

Nice tribute for Jim from Cam
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

James Stacey

I'm glad it's not just me finding Anderson hard to follow. It seems lots is happening and its its beautifully rendered but the narrative makes no sense.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 April, 2018, 08:03:11 PM
Anderson left me a little lost again this time... then NINJA JUDGE

I wondered if this was Tempest? They seem to be throwing in every other supporting character they can think of!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 08 April, 2018, 01:00:56 AM
Would have to say that Carlos and John on strontium dog is absolutely what is keeping me buying the prog at this point.

Nothing else floating your boat? Tough crowd...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.