Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

My cinema display (along with all my other standees) is also in the loft and I try and visit it every few days.

House of Usher

I missed last week's 2000ad. I may or may not get time to pick up this week's tomorrow, so I may not be seeing either until Monday. I'll have three waiting to be read by next Wednesday. I may not get to pick up next week's until next Friday... (etc.)
STRIKE !!!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bouwel on 19 September, 2009, 08:32:04 AM
QuoteI'll bet it wasn't Norton's billing department that was making the work for you though!

I'll say I never came across this problem, although it's now a good nine years since I did PC repair work. Mostly it was Norton deciding to randomly crash the operating system when the user was installing software. A nice easy source of cash along with replacing modems that had been fried by lightning (oh, but that can't happen as BT have lightning arresters on the telephone lines..or so they'll tell you if you complain).

-Bouwel-

Why don't I listen to the Hivemind? I've been using Norton for a while and it seems to have kept me secure, but the daily "do you want to run live updates" prompt was a bit annoying, and my startup script has become painfully slow. A few days ago I accepted the free upgrade to Norton 2010 (see what they've done there? - I'm using software from the future!!!).

Since then it updates itself without prompting (but informs me it's performing "background tasks" every few hours). In addition, I get two new glitches when logging on (easily clicked away), my favourite game will no longer load (Civ4) and I've had the blue screen of death four times. Might not be all Norton's fault, but I'm starting to wonder...

uncle fester

Yep, that sounds like Norton. What you're experiencing is its inability to cope with any software that isn't MS related, and the viruses (virii?) that you've picked up (Evidenced by blue screens and slow processing) because Norton misses them. Waste of money. Get rid of it now.

Dandontdare

Quote from: uncle fester on 23 September, 2009, 01:36:42 AM
Yep, that sounds like Norton. What you're experiencing is its inability to cope with any software that isn't MS related, and the viruses (virii?) that you've picked up (Evidenced by blue screens and slow processing) because Norton misses them. Waste of money. Get rid of it now.

Done! A bit galling since I had nearly 2 years to go on my Norton subscription, but I've replaced it with the free AVG anti-virus and turned the Windows firewall back on. Does the hivemind think that will be sufficient? I'm paranoid about web-security (especially when visiting *ahem* "gentlemen's leisure" sites.)

Good job I was looking out for that little message in small print "uninstalling a product will not cancel your automatic subscription" - cheeky sods! But Civ4 now works again and the PC was marginally faster to boot up.

The Legendary Shark

I've used Comodo for over a year now, and it works fine. It's a free firewall/antivirus etc thingummy that you can get from here:  http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=cis
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

House of Usher

Stupid Barclaycard have not followed through with sending me a dispute form after registering my complaint of unauthorised debit by Symantec. Will have to chase that one up.
STRIKE !!!

Bouwel

QuoteI've used Comodo for over a year now, and it works fine

Another vote for Comodo from me. Lovely bit of kit.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Peter Wolf

....New Labour party scum are back in Brighton for their annual conference which wastes an awful lot of council tax payers money and is a hassle for the local community not to mention that the entire thing is paid for by taxpayers.

Sellout C****

Apologies but i just found this out.

You cant take a bike onto a train at Brighton Station but you can take a bike off a train at Brighton Station.If you want to take a bike onto a train from Brighton you have to use one of the not so central smaller stations.

So much for the green initiative.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dandontdare

Count yourself lucky, the feckin' Tories are coming here.... >:(

COMMANDO FORCES

Just rang the Ramada Inverness to sort out the Hell Trekkers sleeping abode >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Nothing more to say. I am exhausted and nothing was sorted, 1 bloody hour for NOTHING!

worldshown

They might have thought your bike was a security threat, Peter.

Someone I knew a few years ago was a lobbyist for Green issues at the temporary Welsh Assembly. He used to cycle there once a week and leave his bike chained up on the railings by the entrance. After one meeting, he went outside to discover the bike missing so he went back in to ask security if they'd seen anything.

"Yes," they said. "We removed it."

"Why?"

"Security threat. It could've had a pipe bomb or anything attached to it."

"Pipe bomb?"

"Yeah. You know what it's like at the moment. It's stupid to leave things outside public buildings so we removed it."

"If you let me have my bike back, I promise I won't leave it there again. Please, where is my bike?"

"Okay. It's in the security room, behind reception."

True story. As far as I'm aware they still haven't compensated him for the broken lock and chain.

Mike Gloady

That's HUGELY stupid.

Morons.

So this assembly of temporary Welsh people, did they resume their previous nationalities?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

worldshown

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 24 September, 2009, 05:31:31 PM

So this assembly of temporary Welsh people, did they resume their previous nationalities?

Not quite. This happened in 2002 and the Senedd didn't open until 2006. At the time the Welsh Assembly were using the office block opposite the Halifax in Cardiff Bay.

TordelBack

Quote"Okay. It's in the security room, behind reception."

Best punchline ever.  Tiplodocus could use that in his act!