Main Menu

2000 AD'S GREATEST: CELEBRATING 40 YEARS OF THRILL-POWER! BOOK

Started by james newell, 09 February, 2017, 01:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james newell

Is "2000 AD'S GREATEST: CELEBRATING 40 YEARS OF THRILL-POWER!" all reprinted material or new works? and I take it it's not news stand?

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN603

Smith

Reprints.Its a sort of Best Of compilation as chosen by the droids.
Also,this was my first meeting with Doctor Sin.I wonder why he never took off.

glassstanley

I think Doctor Sin didn't return as all the strips in the Action Special were created under the erroneous impression that 2000AD's publishers owned the rights to them ... which they didn't.

IndigoPrime

The format's basically as per other Rebellion trade paperbacks, not a comic.

Leigh S

Though Dr Sin doesnt appear in anything else other than an early 2000AD annual - much discussed as being a likely candidate for Pat Mills original "Judge Dread" strip.  Therefore, that was the one stroy they could have carried on

AlexF

I hadn't intended to buy this trade but got so swept up in he 40th bash that I got it anyway. Really glad I did. Yes, technically I own and have read all the strips within but it's filled with he kind of obscurities that would be a right pain to dig out, certainly you couldn't read them all in one go any other way.
They're all proper hidden gems, including some cracking recent-ish Dredds alongside some super old stuff. It really is a showcase for what makes 2000ADs writing and art unique. Buy it and wallow!

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 16 February, 2017, 09:10:06 AM
I hadn't intended to buy this trade but got so swept up in he 40th bash that I got it anyway. Really glad I did. Yes, technically I own and have read all the strips within but it's filled with he kind of obscurities that would be a right pain to dig out, certainly you couldn't read them all in one go any other way.
They're all proper hidden gems, including some cracking recent-ish Dredds alongside some super old stuff. It really is a showcase for what makes 2000ADs writing and art unique. Buy it and wallow!

Well, Rackle now has her own copy of her favourite Dredd story (that she's read so far) so all well and good!

Andy B

This was a lot of fun: I love these anthology books (Sci-Fi Thrillers etc), and there was even some stuff I'd never read (advantage of not regularly reading the Meg)

But why so little of it? 40 years to choose from, and this is a very thin book. Surely at least room for some McMahon (Dredd annual story or Warriors Dawn...)

Let's have something chunkier for the 50th!

AlexF

Yes, it'd be interesting to hear the backstory to this one - did every creator get asked to suggest a story, and then Tharg picked all the ones that were sufficiently obscure/self-contained to merit inclusion? Or was he cherry-picking suggestions to reflect some of the most beloved/most 2000ADish creators? I'm assuming there was a 'no Future Shocks' policy, as all the best of those have been reprinted plenty.

Darren Stephens

Picked this up today. Like most long time fans, I have read most of the contents, but it was a great re-read! If you are a newer squaxx, then this is a no brainer. Wall to wall classic thrills and a roster of creators that you'd be hard pushed to beat.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Dandontdare

Quote from: Andy B on 23 February, 2017, 09:20:35 PM
But why so little of it? 40 years to choose from, and this is a very thin book.

I picked it up in my local bookshop the other day, but ultimately didn't buy it for this very reason, it's a rather meagre collection