Main Menu

Meg 206

Started by Marbles, 03 May, 2003, 08:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

Thought I'd get in first with this for once (just got sent a complimentary copy - cheers btw).

SPOILERS

+
+
+
+
+

Dredd - cracking finale to the story - really enjoyed this installent - plenty of foreshadowing of Cal's fate which  I liked. Love Higgins use of colour too.

Middenface - havent read it yet. I know a lot of people like it but it leaves me stone cold.

Darkies Mob - this is rubbish. ;o)

Slaine - again havent read it yet

Black Siddha - incredibly I loved this episode. After the turgid first 4 or so issues I was hating every minute of it to be frank - but this was hilarious & the story is really picking up. Pat Mills, please forgive this poor weak fools doubts...

Family - I really like this, but the monthly frequency really kills it because I can never remember whats going on by the time it comes around again.

Devlin - par for the course ie brilliant art and a cracking story. Again weakened by being 6 pages a mth but what the heck.

Text story - not read it yet.

Overall the Meg is on top form !

Remember - dry hair is for squids

Eric Plumrose

I am not Wolverine. I do not have a superfast mutant healing factor wotsit. In future, when out drinking, I am not to offer my hand as an ashtray.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

ukdane

Text story? Blagh! I never seem to read them, as they don't have pictures to help me :-s
Cheers

-Daney

Tu-plang

I thought the history of British War Comics was meant to start this month?

Marbles

Bounce !

Hehe. Sorry - just wanted another gratuitous gloat that I've read the Meg and no one else has. Usually I have to suffer listening to subscribers describing each weeks prog in tantalising detail 2 days before I get it from the newsagent, so revenge is sweet...

The Monarch

.....since you got me interested in darkies mob i shall spare you from the encyclopedia davetortica this time...

DavidXBrunt

Of course the question you're angling for us to ask is 'Why the complimentary copy Marbles?'

Queen Firey-Bou

so its not just me that ain't got it then? thanks for freaking me out there marbles with the early thread. saffin raffin.... etc

Marbles

Well since you ask DXB ;o)...

Actually tbh all I did was supply a missing issue of 'Battle' which forms the colour page scans in this months 'DM'.

But what about the end of 'Monkey On My Back' eh ? Well I never.

No one likes a gloater....

DavidXBrunt

And let the raving begin...

Dredd - Suddenly filled with fear that the Monkey might have ended up in Cal, which would have been truly awful, but a good ending. Made me keen to reread the whole story again, which is nice.

Apocalypse - I know how much flack I'll get for this but I found the language that was atributed to God quite offensive. There you go. I've said it. That said the story is interesting and the art lovely.

McNulty - This is really picking up steam, liking this a lot, especially the 'flashforward within the flash-back to the flash-back of what was the present future 20 years ago' moment.

Dakies Mob - This really is great stuff. What's a chindit though?

Slaine - This has picked up again but I hope whatever is reprinted next is a shorter tale. Unless they choose 'Verdus'. That'd be aces.

Black Siddhe - Funny, great to look at and interesting. I think the lengthy trial sequance was a mistake but otherwise this is a fine story. It deserves a second series just so we can have a story now the scene setting is coming to a close.

Family - Another one that is getting better as it goes on. Worth a re-read I think, I expect it will read better in one sitting.

Devlin Waugh - On the one hand this looks a treat and is as good as ever, on the other this really should have been told in bigger doses or in the weekly. Landis' return was nicely low-key, I think.

Not had to time to read the short story but Adrian Salmon art is always a treat.

Gordons bit made me laugh in the doctors waiting room, so that's both good and bad.

Don't like knowing how many parts there are to each tale in the listings. Spoils some of the surprise. If only I had the power to avoid things like that.

Overall, really enjoyed this a lot.

paulvonscott

Yeah Marbles, what happened with this issue of Black Siddha???!!!

I thought the first episode showed great promise, then weeks of ummmm.... well, not a lot, then I found this snappy, alive, funny, exciting, scary.  What can I say?  Must have been on a slow burn, I can only hope it maintains this new found jazziness.

Marbles

You've hit the nail on the head yet again PVS :)

The talking dog just cracked me up. Mebbe we misjudged this series in the sense that I read it ( and took it to be) a serious strip - perhaps if I re-read it from the start thinking of it as a comedy it will all slip into place ??

Either way Pat Mills on form is tough to beat.

Trout

I very much enjoyed the latest Meg, especially Dredd, Darkie and Devlin.

I'm increasingly less keen on Family, although I like the art. Hopefully my understand of the tale will improve on a full re-read.

I fiercely dislike Black Siddha, because very little seems to happen and the art doesn't work like it did on early SinDex.

I seem to recall saying all this about the last Meg, but what the hell.

Good comic, overall. 2000AD's better right now, but not by huge amounts.

- Trout

Oddboy

2000AD is much better, but that's really down to 2000AD being totally wonderful at the moment...

Anyway, it's the Megazine we're here (on this thread) to discuss:

Dredd:  Ah man this sucked.  I've never had anything against Ennis before.  But in my back-prog reading I'm currently going through Ennis' run & they are good stories (not as good as Wagner) but Dredd's kill-rate is unnatuarally high & his arrest-count is pretty much nil.
Ennis just writes Dredd wrong.  Sorry! I enjoyed ep.s 1 & 2, but Dredd killing that Judge Bleecker was out of order.  Dredd shot him out of anger & vengence at being given away, rather then because he was in danger.  Dredd only going to Chamber's funeral was wrong too - all or nothing Dredd; you owe more to the judges you needlessly killed.
I see no real reason for setting this story in 2099 either.  Hershey could have as easily filled the CJ role, and Cal did effectively nothing, and gave no new insights into his character.
Hey I enjoyed Helter Skelter, but it's Monkey/Back that has turned me into a Ennis-hater.

2000AD book club, 1 a month - wooo!
GR's bit: made me laugh (on the bus).

McNulty: enjoying this quite a bit.  I like Ridgway's art (GLOAT TIME: YAY I've got Dead Man ep2 p3 framed on my wall!)
I like the idea that someone's mutation could be 'too handsome'!

GOLD006:
Odd page-count.  I'm giving up on trying to pull these out to make a seperate collection now.

Darkie's Mob: still good fun, but I'm beginning to tire of this strip (it does get a bit repetative, any idea how long it's still got to run?)
Monkey, but no hat.

Sl?ine: same as it was in 1985.

Black Siddha: Still haven't read ep 2 yet.  I'll do it in one go after it's finished.
Family: confused by this one.  Another one to read in one go later.

Devlin: Fangtastic!

Better set your phaser to stun.

Bolt-01

Okay, I've let it digest for a few days and.....

Dredd: I enjoyed this, even though I didn't buy Dredd shooting the Judge though the head, but the H-wagon was cool.

Apocalypse soon, is this re-print? Fun.

Young Middenface: Superb, I love Ridgeways art, and it is suited to this tale really well. Awesome shot of the fute army too.

Darkies mob: chindits, more like S***dits!

Slaine: That shot of Slaine facing off against the Mk3 looked lovely as part of 'O' level portfolio. Especially as it was life size!

Black Siddha: Better, but still not THAT good.

Family: Looking forward to the conclusion, so I cxan read it in one go. Think it will work much more that way.

Devlin: Lovely, but not enough of it.

Overall: 7.5/10

rotts