Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 03 January, 2020, 01:23:24 AM
Maybe it would be best if we didn't hang around waiting for someone, but created the change ourselves. For example, have you considered joining Extinction Rebellion, a local sustainability group, or broached the subject with your MP?

Fair point on the MP front.  That said, she is a new 'wet behind the ears' nipper from up the valley so ... actually, you know, now is probably the best time to get on at that.

On the rest, don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about ignoring personal choices and actions.  I'm all about the most sensible and environmentally appropriate choices that we can make under the circumstances.  It may well be that it is a drop in the ocean but an ocean is made up of millions of drops ...

My point is that I worry that we are fast approaching the point at which it is going to be enough.  My other concern is that with it being such a big issue we are now starting to see abuses (recycling material dumped in far-east landfill, carbon offset schemes and so on).  You are right in that we need to be more assertive on the individual front.  Is it going to be enough though?

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 02 January, 2020, 09:18:53 PM
Ok, one more bit of bad news - bird populations affected worldwide, and UK no different.

However, the RSPB are trying to record the UK numbers, with a view to halting the decline somehow, and this is where you could help. In fact, this could be a fun thing for your whole family to get involved in:

The Big Garden Birdwatch!!!

https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch/

I did that last year - sit next to a window with a view of the garden for an hour with a cup of coffee and record whatever wildlife lands in the garden (thinking back I may have done part of it wrong last year - I'm sure I counted something flying over).

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 02 January, 2020, 09:34:15 PM
The consequences of inaction are already starting to stack up and will soon reach the point where even the likes of Trump cannot deny it any longer ...

I'm sure you overestimate the likes of Trump.  I'd bet you could find people who don't believe the extinction of dodos, passenger pigeons and near extinction of the plains buffalo had anything to do with colonists over-killing*

* or whatever it's called when humans kill wild animals for food - farming kind of suggests that there's some sort of tending to the animals first, hunting suggests there's some sort of skill involved in tracking the animal first...

shaolin_monkey

Here a breakdown of greenhouse gas sources, courtesy of John Foley at Drawdown.org:

Any surprises for anyone there?

Dandontdare

I know I could google it but I feel like the kid in class who would immediately ask - what the heck's a flaring fugitive?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 January, 2020, 02:01:56 AM
I know I could google it but I feel like the kid in class who would immediately ask - what the heck's a flaring fugitive?

"You know what a fugitive emission* is?"
"Of course!"
"Same thing."
"I've never seen a fugitive emission.                  But I understand what you mean."

* insert joke here

Funt Solo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 January, 2020, 02:01:56 AM

Well, you know when you try to let out a quiet fart, but it makes a noise and everyone hears? That's a fugitive. If you surreptitiously light it, it's the (almost impossible to pull off, or lesser-spotted) flaring fugitive.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Should be in the Over Your Head thread, but I've just realised what 'lesser-spotted' means - I always thought it meant having fewer spots of colour than other similar animals.

D'oh!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 January, 2020, 07:15:45 PM

Should be in the Over Your Head thread, but I've just realised what 'lesser-spotted' means - I always thought it meant having fewer spots of colour than other similar animals.

D'oh!

You were almost right the first time. There's a 'lesser spotted' woodpecker, (apparently the original lesser spotted beasty), and a 'great spotted' woodpecker. The main difference between the two is the size.

Lesser spotted has been used to mean 'less frequently seen' but that definition started off as a pun.

(I think we need a "Things That You Thought Went Over Your Head But Actually Didn't" thread.)

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

You say 'less spotted' and 'greater spotted' and I think 'trhill-suckers'.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hawkmumbler

I would like to file the Taxonomic popular name of LESSER SPOTTED DICK please.

Never saw it on the lunch menu at school, must be a cryptid.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++