Main Menu

The Strain

Started by amines2058, 15 July, 2014, 06:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amines2058

New series just started on Fox in the US based on Guillermo Del Toro's Novels of the same name. Watched feature length episode 1 last night (also directed by Del Toro) and enjoyed. Basically a slightly different take on the Vampire story with enough gore and mystery to keep me intrigued for episode 2. Plus some good effects throughout considering it is TV fodder. Not ground breaking but another interesting addition to the rapidly growing TV horror genre.  :)

Grugz

I'm assuming given its del toro it aint angst ridden romantic vamps?  i'll have to check it out even though I am cross del isn't likely to finish the hellboy trilogy :'(
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

amines2058

No Twilight sexy vamps in this my friend.
This episode reminded me a lot of [spoiler] Fringe crossed with Mimic, one of his earlier films in both story and setting plus the fact that the story centres around CDC characters. [/spoiler]
The vampires we speak of are more along the lines of deranged monsters. Think more [spoiler]zombies crossed with Alien[/spoiler].

Theblazeuk

Well, one of them is.

Somebody else resembles a more traditional (in the pop culture sense) vampire, assuming that's why he "doesn't breathe".

And then there's [spoiler]the shambling hordes. [/spoiler]

I read the first book but it's a dim memory now. The first episode of the TV show seems better than the first few chapters did, but there's a lot more to come. By the end of this series, [spoiler]things will take a much more... apocalyptic... turn.  [/spoiler]Which I am looking forward to!

Grugz

I'm not a vampire fan "near dark" excepted but this sounds ok .vamps being proper monsters.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

CrazyFoxMachine

Only halfway through the first episode but have been pleasantly surprised by this. Not that I thought it would be bad per se but I was thinking from the teasers that it would be unremittingly grim and downbeat for whatever reason. It's actually quite lively and silly with a lot of VERY hammy tropes stuffed in there - parts almost felt more like a spoof than a straight horror. I much prefer that to po-facedness though and it seems so far to be a lark. Like wot Penny Dreadful should have been.

JamesC

I'll have to check this out. At first I thought it looked really good but was put off by GDT's involvement (never really been a fan).
I was hoping it may have something of an American Vampire feel but it sounds like that's way off the mark.

Richmond Clements

Just watched the first episode. I am an unashamed Del Toro fanboy and this was fantastic.
I have not read the books, but the first episode came across as a very clever update of [spoiler]Dracula[/spoiler] married with the Del Toro [spoiler]virus horror[/spoiler] sensibility.

COMMANDO FORCES

This series is coming to Watch on the 17th September at 22:00

THE STRAIN

CrazyFoxMachine

Haven't seen the two most recent episodes of this but it's still rattling along nicely - far more engaging than recent sci-fi TV efforts (looking at YOU Shield) but then it has a book series to stick to so consistency is understandable. I'm not really a bit fan of horror or willie-giving shows in general but this is fun enough to subvert the shivers.

Theblazeuk

Last two episodes were great. Much better than the books. Though the vampire hunter seems to forget that he's fighting vampires - and he's an old man - when it's convenient for drama.

QuoteI'm not really a bit fan of horror or willie-giving shows in general but this is fun enough to subvert the shivers

:-[ :-\ :o

Ghastly McNasty

Love it so far. Tension is building really well and there are some good moments of horror which are quality.

There was an appearance of a group of characters, at the end of the latest episode, who I didn't recognise from the book. Worried me a bit that they're going off source because they've done that in Under the Dome and that's turned in to an utter shambolic mess that I'm stuck hate watching with increasing rage/disbelief/boredom. However, I've only read the first Strain novel so maybe these dudes pop up later on in the books.

Theblazeuk

They are kind of in the books, yeah.

COMMANDO FORCES

This comes to WATCH this Wednesday (17th September) at 22:00.

The Enigmatic Dr X

For those of you who haven't read the books, this is quickly becomes a lot bleaker than you might think. I'm really looking forward to it.
Lock up your spoons!