Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Up to Season 4 on Game Of Thrones rewatch [spoiler]and Jophrey has just come a cropper.
Obviously I know it's Olena Tyrell now but the clues were all there on screen. [/spoiler]

So many quotable lines... you could make a Guide To Life (either good or bad) by editing them together.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Oh and watching MOTHERLAND on Iplayer. Lots of well observed stuff about how parents interact regarding their  offspring and cope with demands.

Be warned, these are for the most part priveleged people who shouldn't really be complaining and the lead character is reprehensible. They do call it out (eventually) but she is thoroughly unlikable and self-serving.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 November, 2017, 03:55:10 PM
Oh and watching MOTHERLAND on Iplayer. Lots of well observed stuff about how parents interact regarding their  offspring and cope with demands.

Be warned, these are for the most part priveleged people who shouldn't really be complaining and the lead character is reprehensible. They do call it out (eventually) but she is thoroughly unlikable and self-serving.

I watched the pilot of this but haven't caught up with the series yet - I found the main character annoying, and we really don't need another sitcom about stressed middle-class parents, but Diane Morgan was good, she supplied the only real laughs

Steve Green

Back, the post-Peep Show Mitchell and Webb series.

Weirdly never really got into Peep Show, but this is great.

The funniest bits are the sweariest or pay-offs so don't really translate to trailers.

Well worth a watch.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 November, 2017, 10:02:51 PM
You know there's times when watching Twin Peaks that I catch myself wondering whether its holds up. I mean while I still love it, is that just because what it meant to me growing up? Cos of just how far ahead of its time it was back in the day.

Then you watch Episode 2.7... the one when we find out who killed Laura Palmer and you realise no, the reason you love it is because at its best its probably the best television ever made.

... Now lets see how the tricky middle period fares these days...

And I forgot we have the almost (almost) as brilliant episode 2.9 before the percieved slump. Damn its easy to remember why this show had such an impact on me and inspired so much to come...

... so I think the slump starts here...

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 November, 2017, 08:13:39 PM
Back, the post-Peep Show Mitchell and Webb series.

Yeah this was quite good - strong supporting cast (the evergreen McGivern nearly runs off with the entire show in the dog kidnap episode) and surprisingly dark. Thought a lot of the constant music cues were quite jarringly OTT like Murray Gold's on Who but yeah - needed more attention than what it got for sure.

Tiplodocus

So I barely made it to the end of episode 1 of LOVE. It's an Apatow originating show with a sweary Gillian Jacobs but I struggled to find much else to laugh at or recommend it other than the bloke's pedantry denying him a three-way. Is it worth persevering with?

radiator

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 November, 2017, 06:44:23 PM
So I barely made it to the end of episode 1 of LOVE. It's an Apatow originating show with a sweary Gillian Jacobs but I struggled to find much else to laugh at or recommend it other than the bloke's pedantry denying him a three-way. Is it worth persevering with?

I quite like it, though it's not for everyone.

The MVP of the whole show is undoubtedly Bernie - the Australian housemate played by Claudia O Doherty. So maybe stick with it at least until you get to an episode heavily featuring her. IIRC there's an episode early on where she goes out on a date with the main character which is good fun.

maryanddavid

Just watched the first two episodes of Sinner on Netflix, very enjoyable.
I like a show where I have no idea of where its going but grounded in reality with no real supernatural element to explain away the mystery. While I love Fantasy and Sci Fi books the telly adaptations tend to leave a bit cold, the latest example being American Gods.

Keef Monkey

Not so much an addiction, but with it being half an hour long we've been squeezing an episode of Catastrophe in between other shows and really enjoying it. Just started season 3 last night so will be running out of it fairly soon!

Theblazeuk

the bloke's pedantry denying him a three-way. Is it worth persevering with?

Well there's an important detail missing from that description!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 29 November, 2017, 09:53:23 AM
the bloke's pedantry denying him a three-way. Is it worth persevering with?

Well there's an important detail missing from that description!

Naw, live and let live. That's our motto in these parts.

Professor Bear

The more holes that get filled, the better.  Anything else is semantics.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars season 5 is a helpful reminder why I originally gave up watching at the end of season 4.  Some inspired setups (I certainly wasn't aware I needed a Darth Maul/army of Boba Fetts team-up in my life) are pissed away in a quagmire of lazy storytelling, terrible characters and risible dialogue.  Most stories this season outstay their welcome, particularly a comedy Droids arc that felt like it lasted a thousand years, while Maul - a character I didn't even like in The Phantom Menace, a movie in which he is widely regarded as probably the best thing in it - feels like he's been defanged and turned into yet another panto villain to the point that his sudden death in Rebels now seems like an overdue mercy killing.  One thing the Prequels - and Clone Wars - also did well was not acknowledge that Palpatine and Sidious were one and the same - I mean, we all knew, but the movies and show retained an admirable sense of a period in the mythos where Sidious' identity wasn't known, but here he just hops on a spaceship and goes off to get his hands dirty, and it just feels lazy and cheap.
The visuals are a step up, though.  I thought it was just that they'd revamped the original 3d models as the show went along - Coruscant especially looks amazing - but even new locales look fantastic.  It's almost as if the care and attention that wasn't brought to bear in the scripts were redirected elsewhere in the production.
Quite a frustrating season, all told.  I'm not sure if I actually enjoyed it or not.

SIP

I loved Clone Wars. All of ot. There are always occasional bad episodes, absolutely.....but on the whole I thought it was an excellent show right up to its abrupt end.

Rebels on the hand I think is largely terrible. The Darth Maul ending (I thought they developed him very well in Clone wars) put the nails in the coffin for me, when I was already admittedly struggling. Not sure I'll ever bother wasting my time on the final season.

Colin YNWA

While its an actual box set we got my son The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 1 and while we've only just started it and we're still on disk 1 - Bugs Bunny its clearly demonstrates that while the animated feature film have developed to quite magnificent levels in recent years, by far transcending what has gone before. When it comes to the shorter form, and I'm including TV cartoons here there was a golden age and it was around 50-70 years ago.

These shorts are just timeless, my kids love them as much as I did as a kid. My wife and I still love them as much as we did when we where kids.