Main Menu

My humble attempt at colouring.

Started by Misanthrope, 15 June, 2004, 10:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conexus

Much better- do like what you've done with the giant eagle

Richmond Clements

Thanks.
I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the wee white bits, and how to get the same shade again after I've went on to something else.
Maybe I could read the instructions, but fuck that.

Bolt-01

Very nice y'all. Wish I could see the same colours as you guys....

Bolt-01, always in B&W.

Bico

If you're using photoshop, try selecting the area you want to fill with colour by using the 'magic wand' tool, then right-click over it and select 'grow' from the menu.  That should incorporate the little white bits into your 'fill' area for when you want to colour it.
And you should be able to get the same shade again by using the 'eyedropper' tool to sample it from your image.

I'd be grateful if someone could give me tips on how to apply colour over cross hatching.

IndigoPrime

Try putting your colours on a separate layer, set to "Multiply".

James

Yeah, and you can still select and grow the areas you need to colour on the B+W image and then colour them on the layer.

Dunk!

I always work with a blank/background colour layer, the inks as a second layer set to multiply, and then any other effects layers on top of that.

My tip would be to select all the areas on an image that are going to be filled with the same colour - i.e. Dredd's suit or his gloves and boots - in one go and then save the selection.

Do this across the whole image then you can load up these selections at any time and using hue/saturation or image/adjust/variations (or whatever takes you fancy) play with the colour balance across the image until your satisfied with it.

Allows you to colour the image one way then easily have a play with some wilder pallets.
"Trust we"

UZI 4U

Ratty, I'm usually reluctant to comment on threads like this as I haven't got an artistic bone in my body alas. Hence I normally leave the criticism to those who know what they're talking about! I would just like to say however that I really like that Carlos pic. Spotted it earlier and this is the third time I've nipped back for another look. Obviously it's a great pic to start with but you've made a great job of the colouring too. I would be happy to find this in my prog. Keep up the good work!
Regards Jim.

Dudley

Ratty that is absolutely bloody excellent.

With so many talented colourists about, Chris Blythe better watch his arse...

IndigoPrime

I tend to work in a different way to what I mentioned on here. I create a new layer, set it to multiply, and colour it in a vivid colour (such as red). I then work into the layer with the various colours, using a brush tool rather than the selection tool (which I mostly use for making grey knock-back layers). I guess this comes from my (now distant) background in painting, and it creates a rather nice effect, with the background canvas colour sometimes sneaking through in the odd place here and there to provide some extra texture.

CraveNoir

I looked at this thread yesterday and saw everyone was getting their crayons out. I love a bit of colouring in, so here's my take on Ezquerra's Meg cover -- which I've yet to see by the way.

Click the pic (17k) for a higher res image (128k).
Ezquerra's Moebius-like lines inspired a faded '70s Eupopean collection look.

Digital Comic Colouring Tutorial

IndigoPrime

And here's my version...

Link: http://www.snubcommunications.com" target="_blank">Snub Communications

http://www.snubcommunications.com/external/koburn_web.jpg">

Richmond Clements

Misanthrope

Thought I'd dig this thread up to showcase this.

I'm bloody proud of it if I may say so myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/eldospinks/heston5.bmp">
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Conexus

's good - especially like the light on the badge :)