Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 May, 2018, 03:00:03 PM
Dark Justice including Fall of Deadworld and not the Dark Justice sequel is an odd and frankly somewhat irritating decision.

Or rest of the PJ stuff. Night at Sylvia P., Serial Serial and Lady Killer.

IndigoPrime

For me, it's just an odd match. Dark Justice had a follow-up. Fall of Deadworld isn't it.

Apestrife

See what you mean. Nor Fall of Deadworld followed by Dark Justice.

I think the Dreams of Deadworld episodes would'v worked well with Dark Justice and Dominion. Like a send off.

IndigoPrime

it comes across very "what's already been released by Rebellion, so we don't tread on the toes of potential future releases?" But it makes me think I don't want to buy any Rebellion collections until this series is done now, just in case. That's not ideal. Also, if the collection continues, it'd make more sense to have distinct Deadworld books, rather than creating something that's more akin to a primer.

Woolly

Aren't we only half-way through Dominion at the moment?
Would be an odd place to end one of these volumes if so.

That said, we won't be getting a complete Kingdom in that respect so... I dunno!  :crazy:

Apestrife

Wonder if a potential second volume will be as cumbersome. Fitting Dominion p. 1 together with fall of Deadworld book 2. As you say Indigo, would'v made much more sense to have two separate volumes.

With some luck the current Fall of deadworld story ties up some loose ends, and with Dark justice a year away, perhaps they'll make it a deadworld volume instead. Book 1 plus the stories up to date. Put Dark Justice out on a later date with a extension with it and both parts of Dominion (assuming it'll be a two parter).

Super Mario

I suppose Dominion wasn't in 2000 AD.

Jade Falcon

I suppose Ro Busters wont be in the collection.  This doesn't really bother me as I have the phone book size edition, but there was a substantial chunk of it in Starlord anyway.  Talking of which, what was the deal with the Starlord artwork, it was beautiful grey scale which contrasted sharply to the 2000ad style, which don't get me wrong wasn't bad, but....different.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 17 May, 2018, 10:33:23 PM
Talking of which, what was the deal with the Starlord artwork, it was beautiful grey scale which contrasted sharply to the 2000ad style, which don't get me wrong wasn't bad, but....different.

Just generally better production values, I suppose. That's why it was (the more-expensive-to-produce) Star Lord that was folded into (cheaper-to-produce) 2000AD.
@jamesfeistdraws

moldovangerbil

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 16 May, 2018, 05:02:43 PM
Did any subscribers actually receive the Covers Special?  I was told they'd sent me a copy on 5th May but I've not received it and it's not shown up on my account.

Quoting myself...yes, I know.

Anyway, turns out 'the logistics' didn't actually get round to sending out my copy until the 15th May, so it should arrive next week.  Anyone else who's been told theirs was dispatched at the same time is probably in the same boat.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 May, 2018, 03:17:07 PM
As I have all of Dante somewhere, spread across about four different formats (but thus difficult to assemble for a re-read), and money is tight yet again, I've been questioning my decision to pick up all the relevant UC volumes: not so after starting into Volume 3.  The pivot in the story that takes place either side of the wonderful Prog 2000 (v1.0) story is breathtaking, Fraser and Burns' art seem to simultaneously scale new heights and stay there, all the fun silly stuff suddenly feels like a necessary counterbalance to all the brutality, and everything, everything, just clicks into place. 

A thing that struck me on this re-read was how obvious it is that 'Love and War' was written to run after Battleship Potemkin (presumably changed to facilitate Si Fraser's schedule).

In Love and War it's mentioned in passing by Jena to Dante that [spoiler]'your brother killed my sister'[/spoiler] and he doesn't bat an eyelid, and yet his discovery of who did the grisly deed is then an important revelatory moment in Potemkin. Love and War also ends with the climactic - 'Tell him Nikolai D- No. Tell him Nikolai Romanov is coming for him.' And yet in Potemkin he's back to using Dante, and the captions are telling us 'At that time, Nikolai Dante's refusal to take his father's name was mystifying.'
@jamesfeistdraws

rs_jr

Hi guys,

How important is robusters for the ABC warriors and if it needs to be read before.

What about the early Strontium dog that was not published by 2000ad (starlord) how crucial is it before starting the ultimate collection?

Thanks

Steve Green

Less for Strontium Dog, there's a recurring character/re-telling from one of the Starlord stories that turns up in the Kreeler Conspiracy.

With Ro-busters, it's more the returning characters like Ro-Jaws, Mek-Quake and Howard Quartz, but I think you'd get along fine without reading Ro-busters first.

There's nothing much plotwise that connects the two, until you get way into it when they revisit events from Ro-busters.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: rs_jr on 18 May, 2018, 10:58:32 AM
Hi guys,

How important is robusters for the ABC warriors and if it needs to be read before.

What about the early Strontium dog that was not published by 2000ad (starlord) how crucial is it before starting the ultimate collection?

Strontium Dog... Not very crucial to have read the Starlord strips, no. You'll just miss the introduction of the Gronk - otherwise, there's nothing very continuity-troubling in those early stories.

Ro-Busters is a bit more important to understanding ABC Warriors, I'd say. Initially you only really have to know that between the first ABC adventure (Meknificent Seven) and the second (Black Hole) Hammerstein was, for a while, part of a disaster-solving squad of misfit second-hand robots where he met Ro-Jaws and Mek-Quake (who both later join the ABC Warriors).

Their dastardly boss in Ro-Busters was Howard Quartz, who becomes a major antagonist for the ABC Warriors later on, so the Ro-Busters history definitely gets more important. There's also a prologue/epilogue for the first ABC Warriors story that will make absolutely no sense to you if you haven't read at least some of Ro-Busters.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Although Pat Mills is busy retconning everything he's previously written at all available opportunities anyway, and so ABC Warriors is basically a mess. Just take the stories as they run and don't worry to much about what went before, I'd say.