Main Menu

Prog 2152 - Watch the world burn!

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 October, 2019, 09:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

You can also see what's happening this time, which is nice!
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 October, 2019, 01:11:33 PM
You can also see what's happening this time, which is nice!

I will fight you.

broodblik

A very talkative prog this week but I enjoyed everything in it.

5 different artist 5 different styles – 5 out of 5
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Quote from: broodblik on 09 October, 2019, 02:36:53 PM
How the cover was made: https://2000ad.com/post/5942

Thanks for sharing. That was great, but it's not the same without innuendo about piles, kebabs and Michael Jackson.

Maybe Richard Bruton could get Steve McAmanus or David Bopish to give him a hand with the jokes?

broodblik

Quote from: Frank on 09 October, 2019, 02:43:51 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 09 October, 2019, 02:36:53 PM
How the cover was made: https://2000ad.com/post/5942

Thanks for sharing. That was great, but it's not the same without innuendo about piles, kebabs and Michael Jackson.

Maybe Richard Bruton could get Steve McAmanus or David Bopish to give him a hand with the jokes?

I am sure no beer was harmed in making the cover

TordelBack

Cliff Robinson's writing is genuinely funny, would like to hear more from him.  Hard to believe such self-deprecation coukd go with such a very excellent cover. Very good piece, thanks Richard.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Frank on 09 October, 2019, 09:11:56 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 09 October, 2019, 09:06:17 AM
An 8.30am breakfast post by Frank isn't something we need on the best of days, in particular when tucking into a plate of Superquinn sausages.

My old mum loves an Irish skinless.

Sadly, I never got the op.

Dredd is still outstanding. Wagner somehow makes yet another robot uprising in Dreddworld feel fresh and exciting.

Deadworld is brilliant, though I'm not quite sure I'm happy with Judge Fire talking like Frank Miller's Crazy Steve character.

Haven't read the rest yet.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Fantastic prog, another 5/5 for me: one of the best lineups in years, despite missing stalwarts Rennie and Edginton.

The page designs in Brink this week are outstanding, pick of the Prog for me,  just gorgeous.

Hope didn't really grab me last series, but I'm loving this one.

Deadworld is such a rich feast of visuals and call-backs.

Defoe develops its world beautifully, and the artis worling perfectly now.

And Dredd is icing on an already very fine cake.

All under an eye-catching Cliff cover.

Keep it up, all!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 October, 2019, 11:23:53 PM
artis worling

What a fabulous, Potteresque character name. I'm nicking that.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Nonsense, it's clearly a pen-name for Alec Worley.

norton canes

A majestic Dredd from Wagner and MacNeil, it should almost go without saying now.

Strange situation with the remainder of the prog. Four of my absolute favourite current 2000 AD strips but none of them seem to be quite scaling the heights of previous chapters. Brink and Hope are superbly written but plot-wise they're both missing some kind of fundamental premise, even if it's a MacGuffin, to draw us in and get the characters motivated. Deadworld risks descending into the sort of erratic runaround that made Kek-W's recent Indigo Prime run so annoying. And I think the move to outer-spacery is a step too far for Defoe - it's reminiscent of the time Slaine suddenly stopped being an authentic Celtic epic and started being about multi-dimensional time monsters.

Plenty of time for all these strips to turn it around, and I'm confident they all will. But this week only Dredd truly hits the spot.

dweezil2

[q :ouote author=TordelBack link=topic=46073.msg1015069#msg1015069 date=1570633820]
Cliff Robinson's writing is genuinely funny, would like to hear more from him.  Hard to believe such self-deprecation coukd go with such a very excellent cover. Very good piece, thanks Richard.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, hope Cliff get's a chance to comment on every cover he does, the are hilarious and informative in equal measure!

The guy is a 2000AD treasure and should be revered as such!   :thumbsup:  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: dweezil2 on 10 October, 2019, 11:44:36 AM
[q :ouote author=TordelBack link=topic=46073.msg1015069#msg1015069 date=1570633820]

Couldn't agree more, hope Cliff get's a chance to comment on every cover he does, the are hilarious and informative in equal measure!

The guy is a 2000AD treasure and should be revered as such!   :thumbsup:  :)
[/quote]

He's amazing, and I'm really grateful he's stuck with the prog for so long.  He's been in the prog since before I properly understood that 2000ad was drawn by different people, who had names.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!