Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 December, 2018, 06:39:47 PM
Sadly things take a turn for the worse with the second Robin. Wish they'd gone with Neil Morrissey, back then the absolute image of Michael Praed, instead of the gimmicky choice of Sean Connery's wee lad.

My favourite Hood is the big lad himself playing the old and knackered version in Robin & Marian.

rogue69

Recently found a interesting Japanese series on Amazon Prime AMAZON RIDERS  part of the Kamen Riders range.

Thousands of people were experimental subjects in the "Amazon Project" aimed to grow artificial life forms into humanoids. They are now starting to change & are looking for human based protein to eat, so the extermination squad has to track them down & kill them with the aid of 2 special amazons.

It's subtitled & the simplest way to describe the costumes & the action is a grown up version of the Power Rangers

Dandontdare

Quote from: rogue69 on 08 January, 2019, 11:33:22 PM
the simplest way to describe the costumes & the action is a grown up version of the Power Rangers

If you want a grown up version of power rangers, try Sexy Rangers  - 5 teen girls who use their pai (breast) energy to defeat giant robots and aliens - they must then recharge their pai by going to the beach in bikinis - the more men ogle them, the more pai they accrue.

note - this is NOT a recommendation - I've not actually watched it but recently discovered it's existence on Amazon prime!

Tiplodocus

I think you have a different definition of "grown up" than I do.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Been awhile since I found a show so in my wheel house I ended up binging the whole series in one sitting. But thats exactly what happened with AMC The Terror about the disastrous Franklin expedition to the North Pole and the fates that became the unfortunate, misguided explorers.

Oh, and theirs a demonic Polar Bear.

Jim_Campbell

Seconded for The Terror. It's very, very good.

In places, it's like Lord of the Flies with grown-ups, in others it makes me think of nothing so much as Brink, in as much you spend a lot of time watching human beings in an environment implacably hostile to them and wondering whether there really is a supernatural horror stalking them, or whether they're just all going mad.

After a couple of episodes, literally all they have to do is pan the camera across a snowscape accompanied by a slightly ominous key change in the score and the audience are practically shitting themselves.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Blitzed my way through the whole of Titans  at the weekend - really enjoyed it. Very violent but adapts the main storylines of the comics well. Saddled somewhat by the inclusion of two of DC's sillier superheroes, Hawk & Dove, but as long as they don't spend much time in costume, they're not so bad. Glorious cameo from [spoiler]Doom Patrol a few episodes in (I understand they're getting their own spin off). No sign of Cyborg yet, but there's a post-credits teaser after the final ep showing Superboy busting Krypto out of a lab in Metropolis.[/spoiler]

The final episode featuring an [spoiler]imaginary scenario of Dick Grayson having to take down an out-of-control Batman was good fun -Badass Bruce![/spoiler]

Proudhuff

wasn't too sure about Teen Titans, ( or should that be Pai-tans?  :-[), they all look so cherubic in the promo art, meantime for us grumpy old Bar Stewards, The Punisher is back on Friday series II with more dark, existentialist angst and extreme violence https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80117498
DDT did a job on me

Mardroid

I started Titans last night and watched a few episodes. Yes, very enjoyable, although a bit over-the-top with the violence maybe. [spoiler]Robin's got some major anger management issues, eh?[/spoiler]

It kinda works for the dark and edgy world they're portraying, though.

That bird couple were Hawk and Dove, were they? The names are familiar, but I don't know the characters.

After watching the first series of Guardians of Tomorrow very recently, I thought maybe these were another version of Hawkman and Hawgirl, without the Egyptian trappings and, well, proper wings. Hawk and Dove make more sense.

Oh and that spooky girl's other self is actually a bit unsettling! Or I'm just a big girl's blouse.

radiator

The Deuce season 2.

Man, this show is so, so amazing. Along with GLOW and Marvelous Mrs Maisel this is probably my favourite show on TV right now. Crazy how overlooked it is. I feel like if it were on Netflix instead of HBO it'd be getting a lot more buzz.

Season 2 so far has been far less heavy and more 'fun' (for want of a better word) than season 1 was. The lives of the characters and their various plot threads feel far more interlinked now, and I'm even starting to like some of the pimp characters, especially Larry, whose storyline takes a really surprising turn this season, and it's really satisfying to see the power balance shifting (however slightly) in favour of the female characters.

Apparently it's been renewed for a third and final season, though I was relieved to find that the creators always intended for three and done, so it's great that we'll end up with a really great, complete, short run of a truly wonderful show.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 15 January, 2019, 08:08:39 PM
The Deuce season 2.

By far the best TV show of 2018, script and performances are so good I'd rate it in the same league as The Wire and The Sopranos.

I've read there'll be another time jump in season 3 to the early 80's, should be a treat.

radiator

It's weird - these days big budget vfx are so ubiquitous they've largely lost their ability to make an impression on me, and it's shows like The Deuce and Mrs Maisel, with their real life actual location shooting, incredible costumes and set dressing that really provide that wow factor I'm missing in blockbuster movies. It's insane how much attention to detail they pack into every little throwaway scene. In The Deuce you can almost smell the cigarette smoke.

Radbacker

Titans recently which wasn't too bad but seemed to only be half a season the way it ended.
Been binging on Season 2 of Runaways, very good episode 6 or 7 being a particular standout though there are still another 6 episodes to go and I'm not sure where they are going to go with it now.  I remember reading the comics when they first came out but the storyline seems quite different in the series compared to the comics but the characters all seem pretty spot on as far as the actual Runaways go, the parents are no where near as evil and bad as they were in the comics infact said they are quite sympathetic in most cases (except Wilders mum she's just an outright bitch).  Definitely worth a watch.

Cu Radbacker

Pyroxian

Yes, I like what they've done with Runaways.

6 episodes into Titans, and enjoying it so far.