Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repoman

good film that.  Jodie Foster is a gem.

pictsy

I remember enjoying watching that film as well.  Jodie Foster certainly did stand out with her excellent performance.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Bad Santa and Bad Santa 2 because it's September and I watch Christmassy films at this time.

I like the indiscriminate discrimination. Some of the puts down are grossly offensive but delivered with verve and pinache.

Billy Bob Thornton shows real chops by making such an unlikeable guy at least tolerable.

Next up Santa Clause 3; I watched the first and second over the last couple of Decembers.
Lock up your spoons!

repoman

It doesn't get the recognition as a Xmas film but it definitely is and that's The Long Kiss Goodnight which stands up as one of the best action films of the '90s.  Watched it last night.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CalHab on 10 December, 2020, 02:15:46 PM
Hotel Artemis.

Watched this last night on your recommendation. It plays like a pleasingly efficient (run time a compact 90min) adaptation of an admittedly-lesser William Gibson short story. It isn't, but that's exactly how it feels. I doubt it's going into anyone's Top Ten Best Movies, but it rattles through its running time at a brisk pace and the supporting cast do a decent job with broadly-sketched roles around Foster's excellent central performance.

I rather enjoyed it, and there are definitely much worse ways to kill an hour and a half.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pictsy

The Prophecy 3: The Ascent

This really isn't a particularly good series.  Christopher Walken does not save this film like he did the previous two.  The story is lacklustre and the rest of the cast are not very good.  The villain gets changed out at the end of the film and it being a big plot point, it isn't particularly focused on.  The main villain (by screen time, at least), Zophael played by Vincent Spano, is where the film spends most of its focus.  Vincent is very boring in the role and fails to be convincingly menacing at any point.  It would be hard to replace Christopher Walken at the best of times, but Vincent isn't even worth the effort.  The film is, essentially, boring shit.

There are two more films in the franchise.  Straight to video, filmed in the same year, no Christopher Walken... so I'm not going to bother with those.  The first two Prophecy films were worth the watch but the story really did conclude in the second film as they had nothing for the third.

repoman

I really like The Prophecy.  The sequel is okay too, notable for young Brittany Murphy stealing every scene she's in from the great Christopher Walken.

Third one was terrible from what I remember.

Watched The Last Boy Scout for the first time.  Was good.  Got Speed, Demolition Man, Last Action Hero and The Crow lined up.

Rately

Mad Max : Fury Road.

Still astonished by it, and the fact that a bloody action movie should have won every Oscar it was put up for.

No harm, but I know what movie I'll still be watching in another ten or fifteen years, and it won't be The Revenant.

von Boom

Quote from: repoman on 16 December, 2020, 11:36:24 AM
Watched The Last Boy Scout for the first time.  Was good.  Got Speed, Demolition Man, Last Action Hero and The Crow lined up.
Are you from 1995?  :)

pictsy

Quote from: repoman on 16 December, 2020, 11:36:24 AM
Got Speed, Demolition Man, Last Action Hero and The Crow lined up.

Last Action Hero would be my personal pick of that bunch.

Last time I saw The Crow I felt it had aged badly.  Or maybe it was just more apparent that it had to be cobbled together due to Brandon Lee's death... I dunno.

I have never rated Speed or Demolition Man.

Rately

The Departed.

I've watched this twice in the last week and a bit, and I really am asking myself why I was mildly a fan first time around, because it is a hell of a movie, and has a gut punch ending or two.

Great performances, a lovely soundtrack and Jack Nicholson at his most Sharkiest.

Have seen the Korean original, but for the life of me, I can't remember how closely it sticks to the premise of that movie.

repoman

Quote from: Rately on 16 December, 2020, 11:51:31 AM

I saw it in the cinema and went in hoping to love it but after about 45-60 mins in I realised I was bored and irritated.  It felt like all that happened was a bunch of smaller vehicles were bouncing off of a truck for the whole film.  Also, being set as it is in a desert, it meant that it all felt like one long scene.

BUT with that said, I definitely need to give it another go.  I've really disliked films in the cinema and then found that I didn't mind them when watching them a second time at home.  Weirdly I hated Reservoir Dogs, Mars Attacks and to a lesser degree Terminator 2 in the cinema but ended up growing to like them more after.

Rately

Quote from: repoman on 17 December, 2020, 09:26:36 AM
Quote from: Rately on 16 December, 2020, 11:51:31 AM

I saw it in the cinema and went in hoping to love it but after about 45-60 mins in I realised I was bored and irritated.  It felt like all that happened was a bunch of smaller vehicles were bouncing off of a truck for the whole film.  Also, being set as it is in a desert, it meant that it all felt like one long scene.

BUT with that said, I definitely need to give it another go.  I've really disliked films in the cinema and then found that I didn't mind them when watching them a second time at home.  Weirdly I hated Reservoir Dogs, Mars Attacks and to a lesser degree Terminator 2 in the cinema but ended up growing to like them more after.

I suppose it literally is one long, extended chase through the desert, but I don't know what kind of alchemy George Miller conjured up, but I could watch this movie from start to finish a few times and never be bored of it. The fact that every bump, hit and explosion is real, and that there weren't multiple deaths from making it astounds me.

The story of it even getting made, with ten years of pre-production, miracle rain scuttling them as they're about to shoot, multiple recasting's etc. would make a hell of a movie alone.

Definitely give it another go.

Hawkmumbler

repoman

Quote from: pictsy on 16 December, 2020, 01:51:04 PM
Last time I saw The Crow I felt it had aged badly.  Or maybe it was just more apparent that it had to be cobbled together due to Brandon Lee's death... I dunno.

I hope that's not how I see it.  So here's the thing, I saw The Crow eight times in the cinema.

To be fair, I was working next door to the cinema so it was quite easy.  But I just loved it so much.  I was a huge Bruce Lee fan (and so was interested to see what Brandon was able to do), a huge fan of The Cure.  So it was all good for me.

Has been a few years since I last saw it though.  I'm hoping it holds up for me.