Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: repoman on 17 December, 2020, 11:06:02 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 16 December, 2020, 01:51:04 PM
Last time I saw The Crow I felt it had aged badly.  Or maybe it was just more apparent that it had to be cobbled together due to Brandon Lee's death... I dunno.

I hope that's not how I see it.  So here's the thing, I saw The Crow eight times in the cinema.

To be fair, I was working next door to the cinema so it was quite easy.  But I just loved it so much.  I was a huge Bruce Lee fan (and so was interested to see what Brandon was able to do), a huge fan of The Cure.  So it was all good for me.

Has been a few years since I last saw it though.  I'm hoping it holds up for me.

I hope it does, too.

Maybe I should rewatch it with my now much lower expectations.  I might appreciate it for what it is and not what I remembered it being.

Rately

Such a sad thing to see a fella who had the world at his feet, and put in a good performance in the movie, die so needlessly.

I think I'll add The Crow to my re-watch list, and hope, that it hasn't aged as badly as a lot of movies from the nineties have.

Whatever, it has a hell of a soundtrack.

janus stark

Julian templeS biopic "crock of gold ". Shane McGowan story , had to turn on the subtitles so i could understand Johnny Deps Irish accent

repoman

Colin YNWA

Just finished a rewatched Westworld which I've not seen in years and have to say it holds up really well. The beginning just about hold on to its ability to build tension while be light and frothy enough to allow you to avoid thinking too much. Moral and story don't hold up to much scrutiny - though the lack of morality is of course the point as highlighted by the victim in the medival dungeon.

For all that it is of course the last half hour that makes the film so unforgetable. The relentless chase and brutal ending. Just one of the best.

And of course the glory of Yul Bruyner playing such a physically brilliant role. Seeming and mistakely seen as an easy part, as he makes it seem so. But the brilliance of his lack of humanity portraying humanity so quietly when needed is sublime.

Yep enjoyed this one. Must track down Futureworld soon - seem to think its pretty good too?

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 August, 2013, 01:43:19 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 August, 2013, 01:16:47 PM
THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS
Michael Mann's 1992 version with Daniel Day-Lewis.
I never tire of watching this - some fantastic merging of sound and vision - especially in the almost dialogue free final ten minutes.

Didn't realise it when I saw it the cinema, but LotM has definitely become one of my favourite movies.  It's full of action, spectacle, tragedy, great music, quotable lines ("Just dropped in to see how you boys was doin'"), and the wife assures me that DDL's buckskin-laced thighs are a wonder to behold. And as Tips says, the dialogue-free pursuit in the last 10 minutes is just a magnificent use of music and a model of restraint that many a film-maker could learn from.

This.

There's a shiny new version (looks restored and almost didtractingly pristine) up on Netflix.

Spotted Pete Postlethwait and Jared Harris among the British ranks.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Don't miss Colm Meaney while you're there!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 December, 2020, 10:23:07 PM
Yep enjoyed this one. Must track down Futureworld soon - seem to think its pretty good too?

Haven't seen either for over 30 years, but I share your love of Yul Brynner's cheerfully relentless performance in Westworld, that movie blew me away as a kid - I seem to remember being pretty disappointed when I went back to see Futureworld, compared to how much I'd enjoyed the first movie, but I really must watch the original again ... brings back so many memories of Unit 4 in Blackburn - sneaking in the fire door age 12 to watch the smutty x movies, Star Wars, Hawk the Slayer, Ghostbusters *nostalgic sigh*

pictsy

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot

Ugh, okay, this film, well, er, so.
This film is not good.  I don't even think it's entertaining.  It's too self aware in its premise and it's a sad way to capstone the Smithverse films.  Clerks 2 was better at drawing a line under it all and saying it's done.  This film does nothing to bring back to mind what one might like from a collection of films mostly from the 90s.  It is a shameless cameo-fest and excuse for Smith to get his daughter in another film.  The fact they lampshade that latter part doesn't make it any less gross.  I don't think she gave a compelling performance either, but I'm not going to judge her abilities to act based on this pile of shit.  It also made me feel really old when it didn't need to do that.  That was just mean.

That all being said, I am glad I watched it.  Mostly because there is a comment in the film that clearly shows that Kevin Smith has recognised, finally, that his film Chasing Amy is problematic at best.  He didn't face criticism at the time with any grace, so it's nice to know he has pulled his head out from his arse.  There are some other nice little call back moments and I chuckled at the references to the previous films at times.  Largely it seems it was made for Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes to gush over how they love being Dads.  It wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't really a film either.  It's a gushing love letter to their pasts and futures that is cosplaying as a film.

So I don't know whether I like it or not.

TordelBack

Elf. Remains enormously good.

CalHab

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 December, 2020, 09:27:12 AM
Quote from: CalHab on 10 December, 2020, 02:15:46 PM
Hotel Artemis.

Watched this last night on your recommendation. It plays like a pleasingly efficient (run time a compact 90min) adaptation of an admittedly-lesser William Gibson short story. It isn't, but that's exactly how it feels. I doubt it's going into anyone's Top Ten Best Movies, but it rattles through its running time at a brisk pace and the supporting cast do a decent job with broadly-sketched roles around Foster's excellent central performance.

I rather enjoyed it, and there are definitely much worse ways to kill an hour and a half.

Yes, those were my thoughts as well.

I think it wears the Gibson influence quite openly. Low-life and high-tech. Sofia Boutella's character could be Molly Millions with a very light rewrite. Glad you enjoyed it too!

repoman

Watched The Night Before.  A Xmas comedy from the Seth Rogan people.  Was actually really good fun.

The Legendary Shark

Iron Sky. Again.

Every time I watch this film (this is about the third or fourth time) I love it a little bit more. It really takes me on a ride, just getting madder and madder as it goes - which is a neat trick when you start with Moon Nazis. It really is a little masterpiece, I think, with some genuine laugh-out loud moments. I'll be chuckling at the scene where "President Palin" demands to know [spoiler]which of the nations didn't arm their spaceships and only the representative of Finland sheepishly raises his hand[/spoiler] will have me chuckling for days.

It almost goes too far in so many places and in so many ways but always pulls back just in time. And, after loving the ride, I love the last message it leaves me with - that we gotta' find a better way.

Great little film. Love it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

Iron Sky ended up being more goofy than I thought it would be.  The sequel is incredibly silly as well... and pretty dumb, to be honest.  At least it wears it all on it's sleeve and there is no pretence.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Christmas Chronicles

On Netflix, from 2018. There's a sequel this year.

This was fun, in the right frame of mind. Very much in the mould of Santa Clause: The Movie, but with Kurt Russell and not Dudley Moore.

My eldest said: "How does it make you feel, that Snake Plisken is Snata?"

I had no answer.
Lock up your spoons!