Main Menu

Favourite Artist Tourney - Quarter Finals - how many ways can I say tough?

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 January, 2021, 12:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

You know the drill by now I'll start a thread to introduce the round coming up. Since we've hit the Quarter finals this is all basically recap and to provide links for me to link to the rules etc from the individual votes.

Recap to folks joining - as we seem to get more votes each round - this has been by far the most popular one of these to date - there are two tourney's running in parallel, one for Current Artists (artists who've had a significant amount of work since Prog 2000 (the one from 2016) and might reasonably still be expected back into the house of Tharg. One for Classic Artists, artists whose last work of volume was before Prog 2000 (the one from 2016) or we might know for one reason or another their work for Tharg is now done.

We've now at the Quarter Final stage of each tournament and that means we have eight artist left in each and we're really at the cream of the crop. Every vote will not be between two absolute artist stars. The question is will this make it harder OR perversely will it force acceptance and will just accept that they can't vote for artists you might absolutely love anymore??? Let's find out together...

So I'll use this thread to cover:

1) A summary of the structure and format of the draw
2) List of those still in the two tourneys
3) A recap of the 'rules'
4) Any other mindless blathering we choose...

Oh and I'll kick off votes for the Quarter Final on Monday 25th bright and early.

Colin YNWA

Runners and Riders - Classic

Alan Davis
Brett Ewins
Carlos Ezquerra
Cam Kennedy
Kev O'Neill
Massimo Belardinelli
Mike McMahon
Ron Smith

Colin YNWA

Runners and Riders - Current

Chris Weston
Cliff Robinson
Colin MacNeil
D'Israeli
Henry Flint
Leigh Gallagher
Simon Davis
Simon Fraser

We're down to two Simons - will any prevail this time?

sixmo

Thought you had Phil Winslade winning the Weston/Winslade confront? Either deserve to be here mind you!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 January, 2021, 09:11:14 PM
Runners and Riders - Current

Phil Winslade
Cliff Robinson
Colin MacNeil
D'Israeli
Henry Flint
Leigh Gallagher
Simon Davis
Simon Fraser

We're down to two Simons - will any prevail this time?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sixmo on 23 January, 2021, 09:40:57 PM
Thought you had Phil Winslade winning the Weston/Winslade confront? Either deserve to be here mind you!

Whoops I did. I pretype this stuff and thought Chris Weston was getting the vote and forgot to correct when I copy and pasted this earlier.

Don't worry everything else has been changed to good order - I hope!

So yeah to confirm its Phil Winslade NOT Chris Weston - thanks for the spot sixmo!

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 January, 2021, 09:10:42 PM
Alan Davis
Brett Ewins
Carlos Ezquerra
Cam Kennedy
Kev O'Neill
Massimo Belardinelli
Mike McMahon
Ron Smith

I don't half fancy getting my hands on that prog.

broodblik

Are we going to have a final confrontation or shoot-out between Classic and Current?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Yeah got a couple of things in mind, but because of one, the other might be smaller... oh how mysterious!

Oh and possibly something inbetween...

Colin YNWA

Following on from brookbliks question...

Structure and Format

We're in the Quarter Finals now and as its been since Round 1 (qualifying was different) When we've been in the tournament proper we've had straight head to heads in a subjective vote for our favourite. That'll continue now until the end of the tourney's when I might run a kinda Champion of Champions vote... or I might do something else, before going into a Ryder Cup of Art Droids I have planned. While you'll only have two to pick from the quality is now so high there will still be a struggle I suspect.

Draw for both tournaments is entirely random, FA Cup style so no seeding, this way we could get some very interest 'big name' ties early on. We'll see (well I've done the draw and we do!).

It all kicks off again MONDAY... so thats tomorrow - exciting!

Colin YNWA

Rules(ish)

Look this is for Fun (I've copied and pasted this, from a copy and paste... and done minor edits, so ya know if this feels familiar...) this means the rules are what the rules are. Guidelines to help us all chug along and enjoy this and find some consistency and understanding of what the heck we are doing.

1. MOST IMPORTANTLY - any artist who appears in these votes, be it the tourney proper or qualifying, is a better artist than we'll ever be and so even if you really don't like someone's work (which is fine) keep it lovely like I know you can.

1a. Art is massively subjective so we won't agree on what makes good art, but we're talking favourites here. So by all means disagree with each other, be surprised about folks' decisions, debate and chew over, but be lovely and remember you ain't going to change anyone's mind about whose art they prefer so why try!

....addendum Unless Steve Yeowell gets voted out in which case I'll bitch and moan like a good un! See 1b...

1b. Runner privilege means that yes I do whinge like no one's business when votes don't go the way I want them to... I need to learn to get over these things!

2. During Round 2 I will start two threads a day, one for 'Classic' Art Droids, One for 'Current' Art Droids. Simply pick your favourite artist from each choice and leave a post saying who.

2a. We are only considering work for Tharg here, so Prog and Meg - defo counted. I don't however give a fig if you think the art on Marshall Law or Skrull Kill Krew The Filth is the best EVVVEEEERRRRRR, it's not for Tharg so we shouldn't consider it here - though you can of course discuss it.

2b. When we consider sister publications it gets a bit fuzzy, so I take a much more casual - decide for yourself - attitude. For me I'd say Crisis, yeah sure include that, Starlord and Tornado, you know why not. Revolver... maybe, I wouldn't, but if you do, heck how the hell will I know?!?

3. For each vote during tourney proper simply type the name of the Art Droid you want to progress to the next round at the top of a post - feel free to say what you will after that, but it will help me (being lazy and all) if you type the name of your votes at the top of the comment - or make it clear otherwise by adding Bold tags.

4. I will count up votes in each thread after 3 days of starting it and announce the artist moving onto the next round in that thread. Simply put the one with the most votes - once I've done that feel free to add comments, but your vote won't count and you might be charged (if I can work out how to charge you (?!))

5. In the event of a tie I will have the casting vote - 'cos ya know I'm self absorbed. But I won't vote beforehand therefore.

6. We are voting for our favourite, so not whose had the most impact, or is most important. There are no scales for objective who's the best artist. It's art, it's whose stuff you like to gaze on the most. We won't agree and there are no right answers (except where I say there is so I can bitch and moan about one of my favs going out!).

For example I love Carlos' art. I really do. He's in my top ten. Is he in my top 5... no. So there, see I've said it, it's okay not to vote for Carlos when the time comes, however wonderful the man.

7. I'm winging this so anything thing I've forgotten I'll make up as we go along.