Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrudgeJohnDeed

[spoiler]Ive seen Tomb Raider 1 (the game) brought up in regards to that ending haha, with Alex Garland being a gamer too.

and he did a film with Alicia vikander.. who's now Lara Croft.. illuminati!!

I really enjoyed that part of the film myself, with the music and the dreamy bizarreness of it all I was transfixed.
[/spoiler]

GrudgeJohnDeed

Warning, kind of spoilers for Annihilation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzsbTl5o0gA&t=12

how do you spoiler cover links?

Theblazeuk

You can't! But unless someone clicks it, no spoilers to be seen.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 13 March, 2018, 06:06:09 PM
[spoiler]Ive seen Tomb Raider 1 (the game) brought up in regards to that ending haha, with Alex Garland being a gamer too.

and he did a film with Alicia vikander.. who's now Lara Croft.. illuminati!!

I really enjoyed that part of the film myself, with the music and the dreamy bizarreness of it all I was transfixed.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah I was transfixed for that whole part, so otherworldly and odd, like a weird dance. Frightening and beautiful at the same time.

It's really impressive how they managed to create that weird dreamy atmosphere. Even when the bear attacks at night and drags Sheppard away, when I saw a glimpse of that in the trailer I worried it would be a full-on blammo action scene but the way it's shot and cut kind of subverts the jump scare it could have been. It happens so quietly and quickly and it's not accented with a big musical moment or anything, it just...happens. Hard to describe what I mean, but there was something really unsettling about that scene, beyond just 'WAAAAGH A SCARY MONSTER!'[/spoiler]

Bolt-01

Watched Annihilation this morning and it was every bit as good as I wanted it to be. I've not read the book, but probably will eventually (best wait a year or so to get some distance from the fillum) and absolutely loved it. Alex Garland has made some of the most thought provoking SF in recent times.

abelardsnazz

You Were Never Really Here. Lynne Ramsay's previous film, We Need To talk About Kevin, was my top of the pile for 2011, so expectations were high for this. Not sure I'd rate this as highly, but it's still an incredibly intense character study, with Joaquin Phoenix brilliant as the hulking and troubled Joe. There's very spare dialogue, and mood is built through stunning sound design and glimpsed flashback images. A dark and dense drama.

Mattofthespurs

After reading all the great stuff about Annihilation I gave it a go today.

Man, that is one amazing film.

Can't really add too much more than what has been said but,

[spoiler]Yes, Kane's voice definitely changes in the video. The end sequence with the mirroring was superb. the music and the lack of dialogue reminded me strongly on 2001 a Sapce Odyssey. As previously mentioned it has a The Thing, Cronenberg, Kubrick vibe going on throughout but at no time did I think derivative. Haven't read the books but after viewing I've ordered all three.

I really thought Arrival was the best sci fi film of the last 20 years but now this takes it's place. Utterly superb in every aspect.[/spoiler]

Mattofthespurs

Also thought it was very clever of Garland [spoiler]to show that she survived and so that was not the focus of the film. Not whether she lived or died but the mystery of the shimmer, how it affected her (as we had seen the affects on several people) and what she had to do to get out. That was were the intrigue lie, not whether she lived or died, and I thought that was much more interesting.[/spoiler]

radiator

Apparently it's a very loose adaptation of the book - I've heard it said that the movie adapts '10-15%' of the book, but done I believe with cooperation of the author, who acknowledges that the changes are probably necessary. A friend who has read the books says they are weird - even weirder and more ambiguous than the movie, so ambiguous and dreamlike that apparently you find out in later books that [spoiler]characters you thought were male are actually female and vice versa[/spoiler].

Mattofthespurs

Watched It again this evening with my Wife on the big screen and it's so much better. The colours really pop.

This seriously needs to be seen in the cinema in my opinion.

Superb.

Steve Green

GrudgeJohnDeed

Bugger, I'd go to that if I was a Londoner. Here's hoping they film the Q&A and put it on YouTube!

Tiplodocus

I joined the ANNIHILATION gang today. I think I preferred EVOLUTION because it had more fart and bum jokes.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

I've not looked at the spoiler Radiator spoiler-tagged (I'm just finishing up book 2!) but it is indeed a very, very loose adaptation. While also feeling really faithful in a weird way? Other than the shimmer (which isn't called the shimmer) and the returning husband prompting her to join the expedition, literally none of the events or moment to moment happenings and plot developments from the book are in the film (one very major plotline is hinted at and then left out completely which felt strange). BUT all the themes and the atmosphere have made the translation brilliantly, and that feels like the most important thing to capture and also the most difficult.

I do admit I was a little torn between how many of my favorite events were left out which I was looking forward to seeing in the film, and how much I was loving the film as its own thing and a really unique experience in its own right. On the one hand I found it occasionally distracting wondering when and how they would get to certain things in the book that I was certain must have been brought over (but weren't), and on the other hand once I came to terms with the fact it was venturing into completely unknown territory I was much more gripped and lost in it than I possibly would have been had I been more familiar with it and known where it was going.

It's very cool that anyone who watches the film and decides to try the book is going to have a similar experience, it'll still feel incredibly alien because the film can't really set up for it and vice versa.

Man I loved it, going to watch again this weekend I think.

von Boom

By Grud, I was forced to sit through The Brothers Grimsby at a friend's home. I really need to serious rethink some people I claim as friends if that is the sort of rubbish they consider a good use of time.