Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrudgeJohnDeed

I don't see any reason at all why movies based on games can't be awesome. I was so excited for Doom, the game had a great premise and setting, tons of atmosphere, great visual and sound design. You could definitely make a fantastic horror film out of it if you connect with the source material. So when the film was announced, I let myself imagine someone had an inspired idea/script or else why the hell are they making a Doom film??

I wish John Carpenter had made that Dead Space film! I'm replaying Dead Space 2 at the moment and it's better than most horror anything.

Goaty

The Witch

As it just on Netflix so watch it first time. Wow that was so brilliant. So perfect horror film that I want for long time, so terror by some moments there. But the first part with [spoiler]what happens to the baby would haunting me.[/spoiler]

abelardsnazz

The Square. I really liked this. What at first appears to be a satire on the art world moves on to encompass most aspects of modern life. Funny, surprising, and at times jaw-dropping, it's perhaps a bit too long at 2.5 hours, but it's never dull and brilliantly acted. Deserved its Palme D'Or at Cannes.

radiator

QuoteYou've not been to my local Cineworld then.

I must just be extremely luck - in a lifetime of visits, from dingey fleapits to big multiplex chains, I can count the number of negative cinema experiences I've had on one hand. But then I've also never subscribed to the idea that audiences should sit in monk-like silence during a film either.

For me the distraction of home viewing vs the cinema comes from simply being at home - I'm a fidget, and the older I get the harder I find it to just relax and sit still for extended periods of time. If I'm sitting in my living room, there are a hundred things that can potentially distract me, from my phone, to a work email, to my Switch, to a sink-full of undone washing up - for some reason sitting in an actual cinema just feels much more like a special experience - the outside world just ebbs away and I'm just much more receptive to enjoying a film. Watching something on Netflix just doesn't have a fraction of the impact. It's the same reason I will regularly pay money to go to the cinema to an old watch film I could watch for free at home. Something I've observed is that when I watch a film like, say, Back to the Future or Die Hard on the big screen with a live audience, I notice so many little things I've previously missed, background details, subtle gags etc. It's like seeing it with fresh eyes.

The other major problem with home cinema systems is already apparent from other people's posts - ie that  having a hefty surround sound setup arguably a bit pointless if you have to keep the volume way down.

Dandontdare

I never understand why people I go to the cinema with invariably want to sit as far back as possible - I always sit near the front so that the worst thing about the cinema - other cinemagoers fidgeting, talking, eating and checking phones - is all behind me and so not distracting, whilst my whole field of vision is taken up with the screen.

Prompted by the rave reviews here, I checked out Annihilation - pretty good, but not amazing, and fairly derivative - mismatched team of people with backstories? Check. Scary mission with random danger as team picked off one by one by monsters? Check. Big cosmic 'explanation' that leaves lots of unanswered questions? Check.

As an example of the genre however it was really well done - I'm sure I'll spot lots that I missed if I watch again such as [spoiler]that figure 8 tattoo - am I wrong or did she not have that when she went in? I also liked the tree people and the creepy-voiced bear thing.[/spoiler] The visuals were superb and the soundtrack suitably atmospheric.

Magnetica

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 March, 2018, 08:45:16 AM
I never understand why people I go to the cinema with invariably want to sit as far back as possible - I always sit near the front so that the worst thing about the cinema - other cinemagoers fidgeting, talking, eating and checking phones - is all behind me and so not distracting, whilst my whole field of vision is taken up with the screen.

I like to sit far enough back so that I can see the whole screen without needing to move my head. If you sit too close you can't actually see the whole thing without doing that.

I remember going to see Apollo 11 and the only seats left where in the very front row and it was impossible to see the whole screen at once. It also felt like you had to look up all the time.

So I like to sit where you can comfortably look at the whole screen with your head at a natural angle and that means sitting a reasonable distance back. Unfortunately certain cinemas have copped on to this and charge extra for premium seats at just such locations.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 March, 2018, 01:30:23 PMWith Doom taking a bit of Aliens and Evil Dead, Warcraft with LOTR and D&D - it's already recycled by the time it makes the transition to the screen

The original Warcraft game was more of a rip-off of Games Workshop than anything else :) I have no idea why they decided that making a game out of that era of the WC story was a good idea, rather than fast forwarding to the Lich King with its awesome Steampunk vs. Undead craziness, which is the film that I wanted to see...

Blizzard's cinematics were much better than that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYNCCu0y-Is

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 March, 2018, 09:11:02 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 March, 2018, 08:45:16 AM

I like to sit far enough back so that I can see the whole screen without needing to move my head. If you sit too close you can't actually see the whole thing without doing that.

I always sit slightly nearer the front than the middle and dead centre. That way the whole screen is in my vision and most people are behind me. Cineworld does indicate what seats are dead centre and I've been so often now that I know what seats suit me best. Rarely sit too far back as the aisles and 'low level lighting' are in my view.

Mardroid

Midway seating for me. Not too close, not too far. I'm not that fussed though, if I can't get those. I prefer aisle seats so I don't have to squeeze past people too.

Last film watched:  Crowning Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny.

It was okay. The dialogue was a bit ,cheesy not really helped that most people were speaking English this time. I would have preferred Mandarin with English subtitles like the original. Which I could have got, by changing the audio and subtitle settings but then mouths would have been out of synch. (I'm not really a fan of dubbing.) I guess they figured the film would appeal more to an international audience in English, but I thought the original did pretty well.

Before that, last film I watched was Logan Noir. That's a black and white version of Logan which came on the Blu-ray with the original.

Seems like a gimmick? It actually works, very well, adding to the atmosphere and fitting the setting wonderfully.

Mardroid

Off to see Black Panther now!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Goaty on 19 March, 2018, 06:29:09 PM
The Witch

As it just on Netflix so watch it first time. Wow that was so brilliant. So perfect horror film that I want for long time, so terror by some moments there. But the first part with [spoiler]what happens to the baby would haunting me.[/spoiler]

I know a lot of people who raved about this movie, but it didn't quite click for me. There was a lot to like, but ultimately the eerie creepy mood was constantly being undercut be silly things I just couldn't take seriously. Like[spoiler]a goat named Phillip was really the devil all along and then he started talking.[/spoiler] I liked that it had a happy ending though.
You may quote me on that.

K2

Monte Walsh with Tom Selleck. Best "cowboy" (not western) movie ever.

K2

Tiplodocus

THE MECHANIC

All this talk of Statham with his shirt off led me to this soulless remake of a 70s Charles Bronson flick. It has all of the right bits in all of the right places but somehow fails to connect with the viewer in anyway. Ben Foster is about the high spot; suitably messed up and conflicted but strangely he manages to look TOO old to be a protege.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

Black Panther yesterday.

Plot was rather formulaic, but it was a very enjoyable film. [spoiler]I was disappointed with the fate of Serkis's Crawe character so early. It made sense in providing the main villain's pathway towards the Wakandan throne, but he is such a great villain, and strangely likeable. It would have been nice if they had utilised him more. [/spoiler] Overall the film was a triumph. It had three dimensional characters: it made me feel for even the main villain. [spoiler]He had a major chip on his shoulder, but his motivations were understandable.[/spoiler]

It had a good message without being too preachy and it was a good action movie and there was some amazing African (or stand in African, I think it was filmed in Korea, but that might have only been part of it) scenery.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Mister Pops on 21 March, 2018, 12:17:37 AM
Quote from: Goaty on 19 March, 2018, 06:29:09 PM
The Witch

I know a lot of people who raved about this movie, but it didn't quite click for me. There was a lot to like, but ultimately the eerie creepy mood was constantly being undercut be silly things I just couldn't take seriously. Like[spoiler]a goat named Phillip was really the devil all along and then he started talking.[/spoiler] I liked that it had a happy ending though.

Was the stuff with the goat and the devil not meant to be (possibly) all just puritan paranoia and near-starvation hallucination, though? True enough, Philip seems a silly name for a goat. But those two kids that named it were weirdos.