Main Menu

....NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 30/4/05, EPISODE 6, DALEK...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 30 April, 2005, 12:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

...and one final minor quibble:

This episode was said to have gone through 14 re-writes. Did no-one thing to tweak some of the clunkier dialogue?

"It's downloaded the internet"? Blimey, that's bad!

Still, the creepy, pleading Dalek made up for the occasional naff line...

+++THEY... HAVE... TORTURED ME+++

Conexus

...oh, and another Bad Wolf reference at the beginning!

err, wasn't that saying that the american guy WAS bad wolf,or did i misshear or summatt?

I thought it was great, better than the victorian one

IndigoPrime

:: Bruno Langley. He doesn't convince at all, and I would
:: have preferred a more competent actor in his role.

I thought the basic dynamic of Rose and the Doctor worked really well, and I'm not at all looking forward to a second "companion". As they say, two's company...

The Amstor Computer

-- err, wasn't that saying that the american guy WAS bad wolf,or did i misshear or summatt?

I took it as the callsign for the helicopter that flew him in. Since the 12th - and penultimate - episode is titled "Bad Wolf", I suspect the mention of the name in this was simply another reference for alert viewers.

-- I thought the basic dynamic of Rose and the Doctor worked really well, and I'm not at all looking forward to a second "companion".

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Thankfully, he's only in next week's episode, then it's back to the Doctor and Rose.

Steve Green

Definitely my fave so far - it would have been cool to have a more crunchy sound effect on the head-sucking bit though. The self-destruction animation was a bit off though...

Aren't they returning for the final two episodes?

- Steve

The Amstor Computer

Dunno - I thought they were only due to appear in this episode.

Loved the new, improved sucker - and best of all, it crunched the head of a hugely annoying extra! Hurrah for the Dalek!

;-)

gnilleps

If they are, I really don't want to know 'till it happens

Lord Running Clam

Thats the best episode they've done so far,here's hoping they can find away to top it.

The Dalek was wonderfully done,both in look and characterisation,both menacing and pitiful.

The only bit that let it down was the Daleks self-destruction.

Dan Kelly

That was absolutely great.  I spent the five minutes following the end in disbelief that I could have found syympethy fpr a Dalek!!!

Nice to see they threw in all the jokes without devaluing the script...

Dan

Steve Green

Unless you're on a desert island, I think avoiding what's coming up is pretty difficult.

If they run true to form, I'm sure the Beeb will be trailing the finale well in advance...

- Steve

The Amstor Computer

Hopefully they'll have a little more restraint and avoid spoiling any future cliffhangers, though!

(still grumbling about the end of Aliens of London...)

Will I. Cooling

Missed the first ten mins but what I sure was fantastic!!! Loved everything, just top class entertainment. The BBC has been on a role as late (I wish charter renewal happened ever year) with Casanova, Fingersmith, Genghis Khan and Dr Who-and this episode tops the lot. Bloody brilliant.

Now if only they'd get on with the Halo Jones, Charley's War and Slaine TV shows we'd be all set

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

SamuelAWilkinson

"Hopefully they'll have a little more restraint and avoid spoiling any future cliffhangers, though!

(still grumbling about the end of Aliens of London...)"

Call that a bloody cliffhanger?

Imagine for a moment that you didn't see any of the trailers in the week.
The show opens; the doc and Rose are hanging around the museum doing their thing and looking at dead Cybermen heads. You don't know what's going on.

Then whuff! The bloody credits come up and announce that the episode's called "Dalek". How spoilerific is that? Quite ruins the scene where we meet it.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

The Amstor Computer

Ah, yes - good point. Makes me nostalgic for the days when first episodes featuring returning villains used to be titled more cryptically.

Perhaps the creators would have a harder time maintaining secrecy about things like that these days, but it would be nice to see them try.

That said, if the "Bad Wolf" references do turn out to relate to the return of a classic villain, then they're keeping that well under their hats...

Banners

Of course - good fun and entertaining overall.

But come on... the Dalek going from this terrifying evil edifice, from "Exterminate" to a poor little baby crying and wanting to feel the sunlight on the new-found sensisitivity of its face...?!?

Putrid, soft, sentimental bollocks. Would have been much better if an army of flying Daleks flew through the hole in the concrete.

And it might be good to have an episode where Rose isn't always about to die, and The Doctor doesn't mawkishly reproach himself for it.

M@